Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yellow-top Optima in a '56 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53mercury79, Jun 5, 2020.

1. 53mercury79

53mercury79

I've used Redtop Optimas in other vehicles for years; they don't, however, fit in the tray of '56 Fords (about 5-5/8" wide, designed for 29NFs,). There is an Optima Yellowtop deep cycle battery, which some sources indicate aren't right for cars, while others say it's a starting battery as well as deep-cycle. The Yellowtop I'm looking at has 450CCA, which is 60 more than an acid NAPA replacement for the 29NF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Get the proper sized Interstate and save yourself some money.

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

What would be the benefit of an optima in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 53mercury79

53mercury79

The Optima in my '53 Mercury is eight years old, another in my '51 Merc is five.... The Interstate I have in my '56 Ford was shot after 18 months.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The Autozone battery in my ‘54 is 8 years old, the Walmart battery in my truck is 6, my wife’s daily driver has its factory battery from 2010.

Any battery that lasts only 18 months was either defective or the car had a charging system problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I once got 9 years from a Car Quest cheepie. I like them because they resemble the old time Delco batterys..

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAPA 29 NF fits the tray nice and gives me good service. I’ll stick with it. Personally I would only use an Optima where I couldn’t see it.. to me they are butt ugly.

8. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Interstate in my boat 8 years with a Battery Tender.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. The parts-house batteries suck with the possible exception of the better NAPA batteries.... I have yet to have a house-brand one go more than a few months beyond it's warranty period, most fall short. I've had good luck with Interstates, and the Ford Motorcraft batteries are excellent. I had one that went 8+ years, may have gone more but somebody stole it! The Optimas are an expensive gimmick IMO...

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

An Optima battery is the last thing I'd ever buy. A waste of money. Always buy the cheapest battery you can find and you'll come out way ahead in the long long run. What about the statement that all batteries are made by 3 companies?

11. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I run an Optima yellow Top in my offroad vehicle. I see no difference in it vs the red top I used to run. Standard batteries leak all over when blasting through the whoops in the desert. My Yellow top is Many years old and works fine. do NOT let them go dead.

Optima used to be a really great battery until they moved to MX. Now they are ok. I would say I get maybe 5 yrs from them which is about standard on a battery. The OG optimas lasted 7-10 for me. For my 1956 Merc I run a standard lead acid battery since it is not bouncing all over the place.