Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to go to the office today but got home a bit early and worked on the truck for a bit. I have been styling inner-fenders and I got them fitted tonight. Still need a bit of cutting/adjustment and I need to nut-zert a couple of blind holes in the frame where they attach at the back to make install easier (behind boxed rails), that will happen tomorrow. One of the cool things I got with the truck was a very nice chrome grille, I had to try it on for fun and it pleased me!!!
    upload_2020-1-3_21-9-50.png
    Lookin good thus far.
    That engine bay is getting cramped and there is still more stuff to add; fuel line and filter, heater and AC hoses, overflow bottle, coil, carb, air cleaner...this thing is going to be wall to wall business when you lift the hood.
    upload_2020-1-3_21-16-2.png
    Up early tomorrow, quick stop by the Dutch Bros for a coffee then wrenching. Enough with the holidays, I got a truck to build damn it!

Attached Files:

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The guy builds these mechanical masterpieces but hasn't figured out how his coffee maker works.;)
    Gonna be another cool one BB!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a free one coming man! I need me a medium, iced, carmelizer, sugar free, 2% and mafia style, picture perfect, no whip. BTW, I have a coffee maker but she likes to sleep in on Saturdays :cool:

31Vicky with a hemi and loudbang like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent time in the garage this weekend rather than watching football (not a tough call) and got a few projects done and some more started.
    Finished the brake line runs, all lines complete and ready for juice.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-14-11.png
    Tight and right. Had to make the rear line on two pieces, but it dud give me a natural place to stop the gravel guard. upload_2020-1-12_19-16-28.png
    I made previsions for the brake and fuel lines through frame pieces I built earlier. Worked out nice.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-18-27.png
    Check "brakes" off the list
    upload_2020-1-12_19-19-35.png
    Other side, 3/8th hard line from TanksInc tank to the firewall mounted filter. I used Russell fittings on the fuel delivery. I will use a short section of flex line from this end to the intake pump.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-21-35.png
    Down the rail, this was done in one continuous run to the firewall.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-23-59.png
    Not easy, not quick, not a good idea if you are in a hurry.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-26-2.png
    I welded a threaded plate inside the firewall to make that filter easy to change out if it is ever necessary.
    Line ran as far away from the heat sources as possible.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-29-32.png
    I also decided to run an axillary trans cooler under the car. Not much room under there but it is higher than the pan and the scrubline. It is all sorts of tight in down there but this configuration will provide a nice wide tunnel for the exhaust on this side.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-32-40.png
    I already did this to the other side but I got to the left side tonight. The inner fenders attach with two bolts behind the tire. One of them is behind the frame boxing plates so I cannot access, the other one is hard to put a nut on so I nut zerted them.
    upload_2020-1-12_19-40-24.png
    Weekend projects done. Time for a glass of the good stuff and football highlights.

weps, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's some quality work right there. Bravo.

No TV in the garage?

Stogy, weps, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very nice build! i have built a couple 40s, i used some louvers in fender wells to let some heat out, that hemi is going to heat up the compartment pretty good, along with the cab. just a throught, shes going to be nice when ya gitter done!

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  7. And/or a louvered hood.
    Build is defineatly on the right path..looking good.

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

yes, i think this next 40 im doing is going to get the hood louvers!

9. Great progress! Please keep it coming.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am so torn on this subject. I like the idea of the louvers and Russ Meeks over in Clackamas punches a cool old school slot but the sanding, painting, wet sanding and polishing is a nightmare.

An idea I was playing with is to ass a row of louvers to the side of the hood. Never seen it done (or I didn't take note) they would function more like air extractors on a trans am, using air running down the hood side to evacuate the engine bay. I'd match that up with a row in the filler panel under the bed.

Thoughts?

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to paint that filter black when I take the cab off for paint,
    red is not working for me. It didn't bother me the night before. Sort of like waking up with a coyote ugl...well, you get the picture.
    upload_2020-1-13_12-45-34.png

kidcampbell71, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. 1940Willys

1940Willys

If that is one of them China knock off Fram Replica Filters, I had two and couldn't stop them from Leaking. I went with a barbed inline deal. Hey, let me know how ya make out?

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. Louvering the hood sides may be a difficult, if not impossible task considering the curvature of the hood sides which run a good portion of the side, exception would be where it starts getting flat at the cowl end (where that Ford emblem goes), then may not be effective to rid the engine compartment of the heat.
    Couldn't agree more about the pita sanding around louvers are, I've done a few-in the middle of doing my '41 Hood right now.
    I'm a fan of louvered hoods, just screams old school /traditional to me.

14. A big yes on painting the filter gloss black.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope the hell it is not! I paid $40 bones for that filter. Anything you pay for a leaky fuel filter is too much though. I will let you know shortly as I hope to crank it up this month.
    Count on it!
    Didn't think of that regarding the hood sides. Hmm. I like the look of those rounded top louvers, three rows. I don't like the way the rows are aligned on the center strip on a 40 hood when it gets to the outside row. I was thinking if the rows were fanned out a bit at the rear but still on a 90 degree to the center strip
    but that sounds like a ton of work.

You know these trucks well, is the heat from the engine going to need those louvers?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. Sorry for the late response (out of town).
    I don't believe heat is a factor, hasn't been for any I've had with different engine combinations.
    I believe it would have to help with keeping the engine bay cooler, but necessary? debatable.
    I've had a few with Flatheads (which some claim to typically run hot) with louvered hoods, and without..no noticeable difference in my experience.
    The achieved "cool" comes from the "look" rather than the temperature under the hood.
    Disclaimer-I have no experience with a Hemi.

17. mkebaird

mkebaird

I've been running that filter for many years, no problems. Bought a spare element but haven't used it yet.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't get much done this weekend due to a bandages thumb that took a few stitches but I did work on assembling my column. I cut the length down 6" and made a neat little toe plate to hold the lower column mount. I don't like the column drop I am using, too long (that's what she said...not).
    This SoCal drop was 5 1/2", I am thinking that is 2" too much so I have work to do. May have to lose that ignition switch in the drop and move it to the dash.
    upload_2020-1-19_21-59-10.png
    The wheel is a smaller diameter Limeworks repop crestline wheel I ordered to fit that GM adapted column, they match up perfect. The Crestliner be painted Wimbledon white (and gloss black) along with the firewall and select other areas. Yes, the column is tilt, remember I am 6'2 and my wife is 5'3, the seat is fixed (no tracks) and I want her to be able to drive this one.
    upload_2020-1-19_22-3-2.png
    The seat came with the truck and it fits it perfectly so I am guessing it is a 42 - 46 big truck seat. My cab had a fuel tank under the seat and a spot light on the right A pillar so it fits the commercial idea. The seat is coil spring and pretty comfy albeit a bit bouncy. Both my wife and I took turns behind the wheel tonight. Brake pedal position works for us both but that column up a couple of inches would be optimal.

Starting to look like a driver. After cutting the column I see I need another universal and a support bearing in the shaft to hook it up. Parts ordered tonight from summit.
    upload_2020-1-19_22-14-56.png

19. B-B Post up a photo of the motor side of how the column comes through the Firewall and it's relation to the Motor. I remember it's kind of tight but I have an idea.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^I'll do so tonight Mr Wizzard. Left you a VM earlier.
    I don't like the column drops I see on line and I do like the one I have just needs a bit of work. I don't weld aluminum but I think I see where I can whack a couple of inches out of it, some off the top, a lot off the lower "neck" then weld the column carrier back on. It's only metal, it will do what it is told if it wants to be a part of the build.

And yes, the harness hanging below the column is due to the fact that the column is electric. Mrs. Bandit would never crank those wheels with the weight of the Hemi on them without assistance. First time to use such a thing, first time for an automatic, first time for power brakes, and it will be the first time for a couple of other tricks I have up my sleeve that I wont mention on here with respect to the HAMB code

Stogy, loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  21. It’s threads like this that make the HAMB worth reading. Well written, plenty of good pictures, great subject matter and excellent craftsmanship and creativity. Also the good help from other builders shows why sites like this are needed. Thanks for letting us tag along. I can’t wait to see the finished product.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok Wizz, here you go. These first couple are pics with the column in the 5 1/2" drop
    upload_2020-1-20_18-7-25.png
    Tight but it clears that head.
    upload_2020-1-20_18-8-26.png
    I removed the column drop and tied the column up with a coat hanger, now at 3 1/2" drop from the dash.
    upload_2020-1-20_18-9-51.png
    The column looks better, feels better and the higher I raise it the more room I gain in the engine bay.
    upload_2020-1-20_18-11-49.png
    It looks like (from my scientific method) that a 3 1/2" drop is best both inside the cab and out.

23. Hmmm, ya this is what happens when you read instructions or follow the Heard. Being I'm a 2 finger hunt-n-pecker I think I'll just return your call. Don't start cutting that column drop. You can fix that but may need to take just a bit more off the column tube. Sit tight fellows, BB will post up some different photos another day.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It only takes a few minutes to pull the column and chop it off a bit more. My initial measure was erring on the long side as it easy to remove length, a bit more difficult (read, expensive) to stretch one. :D I scrounged through my stuff and found a 3 1/2" drop that is for a 1 3/4" diameter column, I will open that up a bit to fit this 2" column and see how it looks and feels. It is one of those that is hinged at the top to allow it to match the angle of the column, probably flaming river left over from the 34. It may not be the permanent piece but it will help me see what I have.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the most traditional tool in the shed, the plasma cutter has it's uses and here is another. I need a half inch hole in the boxing plate to mount my steering bearing support. There is no way a drill, not even a 90 degree will fit in there and I don't want to remove the Hemi, the starter or the headers.
    I bought these guides on line a while back, one package of circles and one of squares. I used this one even though the hole says 3/4 the plasma torch runs around the inside by at least .125 so you end up with 1/2" hole.
    upload_2020-1-24_10-44-57.png
    Clamp it in place with a pair of vice grips
    upload_2020-1-24_10-45-52.png
    There is a heavy layer of epoxy primer and a couple coats of semi flat hardened chassis black on that frame. It hardly disturbed the finish.
    upload_2020-1-24_10-48-51.png
    One little smack with a ball peen hammer and the plug fell out.
    upload_2020-1-24_10-50-15.png
    It doesn't get a lot easier than that. I brushed a little paint on to cover the exposed metal and I'll jump back under there tonight and work on hooking things up. I seriously do not know how I survived all these years without one of these things and it makes me wonder 10 years from now what new gizmo I'll be saying that about.

Talk amongst yourselves but here's an idea, you know those inductive mats you set your phone on at night to charge them, how about a large one on the work bench that you set your cordless tools and lights on? They would always be charged when you need them and you wouldn't have all those chargers and cords running all over the place. Things that make you go hmmm.

More ideas from a cluttered mind. -BB

weps, Shadow Creek, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet! I like the idea of a charger like that!

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the steering hooked up and that let me add the left inner and outer fender and the boards. I shoved her out into the yard to see her in the daylight. Yeah, that's the ticket!
    upload_2020-1-25_23-29-6.png
    Its a comin on
    upload_2020-1-25_23-32-28.png
    I have to admit red line tires give me a little chub. I know its not right, kinda like that "wet bus stop, she's waiting, my car is warm is and dry" lyrics, it just wont do. The smoothy paint rollers up front will give way as well to chrome reverse and spider caps.
    One more view then I will get after the bed and rear fenders.
    upload_2020-1-25_23-40-17.png
    Not bad. Not bad at all.

28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this turns out anything like your roadster it is going to be really nice!

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building this to be an extraordinary driver, the roadster is a blast to drive but not something you want to do for hours. Kinda like the 69 Camaro SS 396 I sold recently. It's a 2 hour drive to the coast from here and I swear I wanted to sell that car and take the bus home every time I made the trip. I fear the roadster may be the same when it comes to the long haul, the truck on the other hand I hope is a different creature all together.

Stogy likes this.
  30. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear that! I'm 6 feet and a svelte 250 + and my 31 roadster feels like I'm trying to put on a rubber glove when I get in it! Not going many places very far with it but it will be one of the coolest cars wherever I take it! Yours too!

Stogy likes this.