Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. White inside the dash is an excellent idea. I have worked on a car that we did that to and it was great. I will definitely be doing that on the sloper.

Algoma56, Stogy, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  2. Been doing white on the under side of the cowl and top 10-12" of the firewall for the last 10 years on builds now. Unbelievable difference working under the dash after that. My eyes aren't getting any younger.

Algoma56, Stogy, OahuEli and 5 others like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh great! That's what I didn't want to hear. Oh well like the song lyrics say, It dont come easy, you know hotrods just arent easy. I think that is how it goes.

I liken you fighting truck hinges to Ralphs dad in Christmas Story fighting furnaces. You know your trucks, I'll head your advice.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We should market white sound deadener. It would be an easy retro fit too. Hey, I thought of it, gotta be worth a bottle of the good stuff.

Tim, Stogy, hotrodA and 3 others like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hinges! Get yer '40-'41 PU hinges! Hot off the drill!
    upload_2021-7-20_20-5-36.png

Tim, Shadow Creek, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A riv nut you mentioned or applicable dome head rivet away look into Semi truck box fasteners...great you got them out and some aged corrosion...not unexpected for its life before Show Time!!!

Maybe they have chrome cherry style rivets

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Make sure your replacement hinges fit the doors nicely to the openings before you go painting stuff. Very likely they will need to be tweaked to fit. Hopefully the chrome won't crack.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, excellent advice!
    Note to Self: rehang doors prior to primer.

Stogy, fauj, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  9. If you’re looking to move them, I need a lower driver’s door.

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to oblige ye

loudbang, Stogy and fauj like this.
  11. Cool! PM me with what you want and a PayPal address. No, they won’t take Crown.
    Thanks!
    Bill

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Crown?
    upload_2021-7-22_20-38-53.png
    Send me your address and I'll send you the hinges. Consider it "pre-paid Karma". Maybe I won't get runs in my paint job. :cool:

Desoto291Hemi, Stogy, hotrodA and 4 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Shoot I’m a couple months behind it looks like! Better get to reading and catch up!

Stogy, Bandit Billy and fauj like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called my rhino liner guy to see about getting the can in there and the conversation went something like this, "blah, blah, blah, covid, blah, blah, chemical shortage, blah, blah, blah, short on workers, blah, blah, $700". Stick that up your rhino ass!

Ergo, I made a trip to my paint supplier and bought a product called Raptor and spayed it myself. $170 including a disposable spray gun.

Before:
    upload_2021-8-5_8-55-57.png
    That mask job took me a couple of hours but I did want to clean up the overspray. 2 hours of masking vs 4 hours of clean up...easy math.
    upload_2021-8-5_8-57-33.png
    And After:
    upload_2021-8-5_8-58-20.png
    I got up early and sprayed it out this morning while it was cooler in the shop.
    upload_2021-8-5_8-59-18.png
    A couple of close ups
    upload_2021-8-5_9-0-13.png
    That's the new under seat fuse panel door I built and got overcreative (drinking) with. Below, I remembered to plug off the seat belt retainer threads and a few others I added under the seat to hold the battery, safe, electrical board and etc.
    upload_2021-8-5_9-1-38.png
    I like the finish a lot and it will protect the underside of the cab. I made a break on the firewall at the point the flat panel makes a 45 down to the floor. Inside, I cut it right below the riser where the carpet (or possibly rubber flooring) will terminate. I had some left over so I sprayed out the interior back of the cab up to the reveal.

For a buck seventy I got 4 bottles of liner and the required hardener. I used 2 of the bottles so I have plenty left over for other projects. Score!

Now it is time to turn the cab upright and get back to body work. Getting shit done. That's the name of the game.

Stogy, OahuEli, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It looks as good as it would have if it had been done by the Rhino Lining guy, hope it holds up just as well! It probably will.

16. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

That worked out quite well. Nice job.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cleaned up the cab very well. Wire wheel, sanding discs, rust mort, prepsol, you name it. All of the "body work" was done with JB Weld (PITA) as these products do not like bondo. I used the same technique on the running boards and fenders that were rhino lined previously. Prep is everything.

Stogy, fauj, Desoto291Hemi and 2 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@IronTrap just did a video using it to spray under one of his projects. I’ve seen a few people use it and no bad reviews so far.

love your little lightening detail

Stogy, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, one of those things no one will likely notice once the truck is done but you and I will appreciate it. :cool:

The 39 guy, Stogy, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nice update..and all of this time I thought you must be out golfing.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did win the last two weeks out with my Friday group. Going for the threepeat tomorrow. :cool: All work and no play...

Stogy, Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  22. Hats off to The Bronco Billy! Got the door hinges, and prepaid to boot.
    Thank you, Sir!

Stogy, Bandit Billy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will call it pre-paid Karma, it will make my upcoming paint job go well.

My body dolly in action. I had the cab mounted on it's firewall so I could prep and paint the underside and work on millions of other items while it was convenient (like munting the AC unit under the firewall without fighting gravity). But it was time to tip her back up. Sounds like a chore for a one man band but not with this nifty body dolly...well, and a 2 post lift.
    upload_2021-8-11_13-27-30.png
    The exhaust pipe (actually the engine stand connector for my home built frame rotisserie) slides through two holes I drilled in the hinged firewall mount and gives leverage to lift the front and gently ease it down on the lift pads.
    upload_2021-8-11_13-28-44.png
    It just needed a bit of tipping from this point to set the back down. A lot of weight on that firewall. After folding the firewall jig down I added 2 4x4's across the top to give me a bit more room for body and paint (I don't like bending over when I paint) as this is her home until it is painted, sanded and polished.
    upload_2021-8-11_13-30-14.png
    The front remained a bit light so I added an emergency brake to prevent any undo swearing and throwing of things. I still haven't found a 9/16 socket from an earlier "project".
    upload_2021-8-11_13-33-22.png
    Sometimes, if you listen very hard, you can hear my genius.

Now it is back to sanding off the primer and the rust underneath. I stripped the roof while it was on end, now it time for the back of the cab and the cowl sides.
    upload_2021-8-11_13-46-14.png

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...a maneuver worthy of a Crown on the Rocks I say...you are a Crafty Bandit...I do enjoy the genius kicking around this place...Hambtastic!!

Hamtown Al, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny you mentioned that, it was actually Crown Reserve. :cool:

Hamtown Al, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Here I’ve spent all this time wondering how bad of an idea would sitting my A sedan on the firewall be and never once did it dawn on me that I’d need to figure out how to stand it up and sit it back down lol

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. My method would have involved my tractor, six comealongs, a jackall, probably a sacrifice of some sort…

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:cool:

loudbang, 57 Fargo and Stogy like this.
  29. Very nice!
    And without a blood sacrifice, no less.

“Hey, what’s that sound? Everybody look, what’s going down?”
    Not to worry, children, it’s BB at work. Apologies to Buffalo Springfield.

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PNW winter around the corner and that means rain, rain, and more rain. Not good when you have a bunch of bare metal trucks parts in the garage. So, shift into OD (not traditional) and get this thing in primer ASAP. I hit the garage this morning, put on some KISS and retired 7 hours later and it is really depressing how little it looks I got done.

Today I addressed the front of the cab; cowl sides, top and firewall. The firewall I knew would be a pain after all of the holes I filled, various alterations and the addition of the M/C but this was a ridiculous time waster.
    upload_2021-8-28_19-58-52.png
    You can see the rhino liner tape line under the firewall. The rest is ready for high build primer. The firewall is going to be gloss black with some white panel striping so it must be flat and void of holes other than the ones I added. You can see I filled the insulation holes and all that is left is the AC lines, fuel filter mount, wiring harness, throttle, M/C and a couple of bracket holes. On the pic below, the 2 holes in the lower cowl are for the heater hoses on 90 degree fittings which will be covered by the fender. The filler on the A pillar is from the spot light hole I welded shut.
    upload_2021-8-28_20-1-29.png
    I stripped the cowl sides and top in-between bondo coats. They are pretty nice other than the area where I had to chisel off the '46 fender brackets. That left some holes I welded up and a bit of the cream de la creme to prepare for primer.
    upload_2021-8-28_20-4-26.png
    These digits are stamped in the firewall below the drivers side cowl. Leave 'em or cave it and pave it?
    I filled all of the spot welds but for some reason I am leaning toward leaving the digits. Thoughts?
    Tomorrow it is on to the back of the cab. I have already stripped the lower section up to the belt line and the roof of course so it just the section around the rear window. There are a handful of small dings in the back of the cab that I will address and hopefully move on the the other door I have yet to play with.

Smooth bondo on the cab, smooth jazz on the stereo and even smoother Bullitt bourbon in my glass. Happy days!