Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Isn't that what the whiskey is for?;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    J. A. Miller and fauj like this.
  2. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

I’m building a 41 PU and about at the same point you’re at with your build . I’m using the factory e brake handle . Mine is covered by the windshield garnish . I don’t think you will have to weld the holes .

Stogy, Hamtown Al, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. IMG_2568.JPG

Here’s what you need Billy. (The whiskey not the pink unicorn)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, loudbang, fauj and 3 others like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I swear I wasn't going to ask. :rolleyes:

Stogy, loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  5. I'm certain if you have of enough of the 40 Creek, you'll see your own unicorns! Pink or otherwise!

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Pink Elephants? not unlikely.
    Pink Donkeys? Phhhtt!
    Pink Unicorns? Dude!

7. If it helps the unicorns name is “Spirit” and it a pink boy Unicorn. Very 2021 of my three year old...

Stogy, Bandit Billy, fauj and 3 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Day two of no air compressor. Yeah, it's down again, blowing the breaker this time. You never realize how much you depend on something until it is gone. Staying in the house is not an option so I had to improvise. I was going to use the plasma cutter on some aluminum but no air - no plasma. But I have a portable band saw and a vise...
    upload_2021-2-16_10-27-1.png
    actually I have several vices but this one actually benefitted me. And it worked on really long cuts
    upload_2021-2-16_10-28-24.png
    I should have thought of this a long time ago...or ponied up for a proper band saw. Naw!

Tim, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The item being chopped up in the picture above is this, a sill plate for a 40 coupe from Yogis. Extruded aluminum with ball mills, nice piece actually...or was.
    upload_2021-2-16_10-32-42.png
    They fit the truck perfectly. Well that is after you lop off a few inches in length, rip the entire plate in two at the middle ball groove and cut it around the seat base. Did I mention this was sans air compressor? So a lot of hand filing and the afore mentioned red neck band saw.
    upload_2021-2-16_10-37-24.png
    But diligence pays off occasionally.
    upload_2021-2-16_10-38-33.png
    And there you have it and just a mere three hours of work.
    upload_2021-2-16_10-39-24.png
    Now I just have to copy the work to the other side. And for those that wake up in the night screaming "I hope these aren't billet" they will be polished and the ball mill filled with black paint. It is a little thing but enough little things make for a cool big thing.
    And for those wondering about the curvature of the piece
    upload_2021-2-16_10-48-16.png
    When you cut away most of the aluminum and clamp in your vise between a couple of 2x4's it seems to straighten right out. Funny how that works.

10. band saw or.........Maybe this? (Yikes, sorry about the size!)
    [​IMG]

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called a local electrician to talk him into coming over and diagnosing my compressor issues. he said he was seriously swamped but said "You can't come between a man and his compressed air" so he is sopping by later to find out what the issue with is with the 240 delivery to the motor.

It cannot come soon enough, last night while struggling to find something to do without air, i decided to make brackets to mount my horn behind the grille. I found a suitable piece of steel, drilled it out, cut it with the hack saw, hand filed and sanded them smooth, drilled the radiators lower chin pan I made and actually walked over to the tool box, grabbed some rivets the bucking bar and rivet gun and then looked at the gun...looked at the air hose hanging from the ceiling...back at the gun...and went and made a drink.

I did throw a nut and bolt to hold them for the photo op but there is not enough room for nuts to stay in that space, rivets will replace them prior to powder coating. But this turned out as planned.

I don't like looking at horns and these I won't see and i know where to look.:cool:
    upload_2021-2-18_10-37-45.png
    I hung the grille temporarily so I could fit them proper. Practically invisible
    upload_2021-2-18_10-38-39.png
    I know it is a lame update but I am seriously jonesing out with my compressor. It is cool tho. I mounted them high enough to blow right through the grille bars. Should be loud enough to frighten small animals and like minded millennials playing on their phones at green lights. The only thing better than honking would be if they yelled "GET OFF MY LAWN!" (caution: art photo op)
    upload_2021-2-18_10-46-29.png

12. loudbang

loudbang

My remedy :rolleyes:

OffMyLawn.jpg

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. My son was complaining yesterday that he cant find .233 rounds cheaper than $1.00 for his 30 round mag rifle. He said $30 for 5 seconds of fun just aint right. I can only imagine what 30 seconds of that beast would cost! I would make my car chrome plating bill much cheaper in comparison. :cool:

brady1929, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. The really funny part is,,,,,,that really is his get off my lawn piece .
    Here is a good pic of Loudbang ,,,,not long ago on a mission .
    You can just imagine the kindness in his voice as he politely ask you to stay away ! A9E8283C-85D2-4978-B448-A6224B727D5C.jpeg

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  15. Just kidding there,,,,,,Loudbang doesn’t allow his pic to be taken !
    Spooks just blend into the background,,,just like they were never really there .
    Lol.

Tommy

bchctybob, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

LOL been there done that BUT he is a poser he NEEDS to be wearing ballistic shades. :rolleyes:

brady1929, Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You didn't think I would pass up this opportunity did ya?
    upload_2021-2-19_4-13-37.png

18. [​IMG]
    Care to share the source for these fine looking noise makers? They have the pre-requisite shiny parts.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Realtor friend that told me when shopping for my wife always keep it tiny and shiny. They shiny bit works for car parts as well. They came from Summit. I get most of my stuff from them anymore. The only local parts house is over in Portland and they don't stock much for older cars any longer. I did hook these up and give them a blast, they are loud and have a nice high low tone...besides being shiny and black!

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know these were just commercial vehicles and I have always held out that I am a horrible restorer. I have never been able to accept the crap that the factories put out. Case in point...this is the stock door jamb, and even though I am building door sill plates I just cant leave this be
    upload_2021-2-20_22-18-20.png
    So I fixed it. Sooo mech betta!
    upload_2021-2-20_22-20-30.png
    I did this on both sides, fore and aft.
    upload_2021-2-20_22-23-0.png
    The truck will have proper door jambs. This also allows the sill plates to lay in proper and fit tight and right!

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also got some work done and the dash. The glove box door could have a handle or catch but it would look cleaner without. So I am working on a magnetic push latch like a stereo cabinet door. This is closed.
    upload_2021-2-20_22-28-11.png
    ajar, so you can open it easily
    upload_2021-2-20_22-29-22.png
    and open. I used 2 latches to make sure it doesn't open on potholes and etc. It is just vise gripped in place for now but it works well. I like the cleanliness of the dash on this side. Still working on the final design.
    upload_2021-2-20_22-30-44.png

bchctybob, The 39 guy, fauj and 6 others like this.
  22. I like your general Idea but if it were me doing it I'd go just a little different direction with location (what's new there buddy). Just because it's hanging down in the center and the Clock will be standing up on the door in the center. I know your Squeeze has small hands so the space lost isn't a big deal but to me it's the look it all creates. I'd probably move each magnet into the top corners in place of the Rubber Bumpers, That makes them invisible and you know the door won't rattle with the magnetic contact so the rubber bumpers serve no purpose.
    Sorry, I'll go back under my Rock now.

23. Good fix on the door jambs!
    That was a moisture/dirt trap. Need to check mine.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know what they say about great minds? Yeah, me neither. But I did originally have the thought of placing one in each corner. I wasn't sure if it would even work so I didn't want to take the cutoff wheel to the corner tabs just yet. Then I wasn't sure if you would have to press both corners simultaneously to open it? AS it is they both open with a light press in the center top but no where else.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe being a 46 cab they were assembled cruder than the pre-war cabs. It would be interesting to know what yours look like. Feel free to post up a pic.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As requested Mr Wizzard, moved to the corners.
    upload_2021-2-21_23-7-39.png
    Without the corner tabs the doors sits flush
    upload_2021-2-21_23-8-42.png
    Also welded in the lower dash bar.
    upload_2021-2-21_23-10-14.png

Stogy, bchctybob, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rear fenders back from rhino liner. They look good considering there is nothing there but epoxy primer.
    upload_2021-2-21_23-12-50.png
    This is the inside of the fender I cut and welded a replacement panel into...Invisible.
    upload_2021-2-21_23-15-17.png
    Hard to believe these are the same fenders.
    upload_2021-2-21_23-16-38.png

Stogy, 31Apickup, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_2940.JPG

Your little horns are SO cute!

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overcompensating are we?

Stogy, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Naw, DeSoto had a HUGE horn!