Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Sounds good..are you happy with the results from the maiden voyage?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That is a sweet exhaust note! Congratulations on a major milestone!

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't either but if you saw the maiden voyage the day before it would be an apt category! See below.

Those 442 wheels have been a real pain. They are 4" back spacing, the least amount I have lying around as rollers. I put a set of 1" spacers on it and thought it would suffice. On the test drive Saturday the drivers side tire rubbed the bed so bad I thought the truck was on fire! Added a couple more spacers, I am out of studs, the lugs are probably only engaging half way. Not safe for more than a little subdivision play. The new 2" backspace wheels and tires should be here anytime. In fact I think I will call on them today.
    Amen to that Stogy! I had one (or three). It was a milestone in more ways than one. As I said before I want my wife to be able to drive this truck. It is time she had a hot rod. Well Saturday was her birthday and as it turns out it was the trucks birthday as well. We did imbibe!

vtx1800, Dick Stevens, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That truck is coming out sweet! Great exhaust note! What are you running for mufflers?

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Billy,,,that was super,,,,,I am very impressed !
    You have done an outstanding job,,,I still can’t brag on you enough !

You have missed your calling my friend,,,,,yes,,,outstanding !

Tommy

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are polished SS Porters, 2.250" SS pipes, very few bends. Nasty rap. There is no interior, no weather stripping, no windows, no carpet or sound deadener...al I can say is WHAT?

Thanks, I appreciate the local nod. Especially by a truck guy.

Hotrodmyk, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DATELINE JUNE 22, 2020
    Ford in a Chevy!
    Okay, fake news. But it is Ford bumpers in the back of my Chevy Parts Getter III, the new replacement for ol' number 2 who went to a nice farm upstate to live.
    upload_2020-6-22_20-7-10.png
    Mmmmm Chrome.
    upload_2020-6-22_20-7-54.png .
    Bumpers, guards and interior windshield frame. The 41 water fall hood ornament will be ready next week. It had some pot rot and needed some attention but I have been assured it looks pretty damn good. These bumpers were not in bad shape for originals. A little bent, a little rusty, 41 super deluxe I picked up from @Chris in the 'kane last year. Sweet!

9. Beautiful!

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  10. I'm finally starting on mine. Searched but missed info on your rear axle.
    Can you clue me in?
    Thanks!
    Bill

chryslerfan55, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, I bought it off CL locally. A guy built for a customer that never showed back up for it. 9" ford set up for a Maverick, 58.5" wide. Centered pinion, hardened 31 spline axles, 3:70 posi carrier. Torino bearings, police special brakes. All I had to do was weld on the spring perches and the sway bar mounts and stick the grease seals in.

I am waiting on the rear wheels. I ordered a set of chrome reverse 15X7 with minimum back spacing (2.25") that will set the tires in the middle of the fenders without using spacers. Just shy of 61" WMS to WMS.

12. Thanks! I appreciate the help.
    I have an early Bronco (58") with 3:50 gear. But running a TH 350. Guess we'll see how that combo works with the Desoto.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't had the thing at speed to tell you how this combo will play out. The 4 speed automatic and the 3:70 should mesh well keeping the Desoto in a happy operating range.

You can go too deep. My 34 has 4:10 in the QC and a T-5. Both have 29" tall rear tires. The flatty would come off the line healthier with a 5:30ish gear and that OD T-5 for the freeway. I might be playing with that one over the winter. Maybe that's why they called it Winter's QC. :cool:

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, so it's got Cop Brakes, how about a Cop Motor, and Cop Tires ?

15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Marty, only if the cops run old Desoto hemis. With their lack of funds lately I wouldn't suggest it. Too expensive. Don't ask about tires and wheels, sore subject. I'm not ready to discuss it yet.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New shoes! I got the fronts, still waiting on the rears but I couldn't wait to throw 'em on and take a look. I have been holding off on removing the fenders to start the body work on the wheels to make sure I have the fit I want.
    The tires are DB Auburns. And they are round! Nice for a change. 2.25" WW in front, 3.25" WW in back. Beauty bars added.
    upload_2020-7-25_14-45-54.png
    The wheels are Vintique 64's. Front is 15X5 with a 3" back space. The rears will be 15X7 and a 2.25" backspace...if they ever ship them to me. We are going on 4 months on this order, they made a set for the rear and shipped them but they made them 4.25" BS! So I am waiting for them to make another pair with the correct back space. They blame COVID for the delay, I am starting to think that is the welder's name. I will say this, the chrome is fantastic even in the centers and the spiders look great! worth the wait.
    upload_2020-7-25_14-50-0.png
    The truck sits low on em and definitely has the look I wanted to achieve. They are a tad over 25" tall, looks nice in the opening.
    upload_2020-7-25_14-52-28.png
    The backs will be just over 29" tall for a nice 4" rubber rake on a low riding pickup.
    upload_2020-7-25_14-54-53.png
    Whatcha think?

18. Looks good in the opening. How tight are they at full turn?

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chrome Reverse the Quintessential Hotrod Rim and radials...choosing the retro look is the silver lining in that department...I love the ww's...it looks great Bandit...;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  20. Looks like pure crap Billy,,,,,I have never been so disappointed in my life !
    I use to really have respect for you ,,,,but now,,,I’m not sure ?

Lol,,,,,just kidding,,,,,top notch as usual !
    I can’t wait to see the body after paint,,,,should be awesome !

Tommy

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy, yer startin to sound like me Mrs. :cool:
    You know I have been fighting the DIY alignment job but my level says they are standing up true and there is an easy 1 3/4 to 2" from the tire at 12:00 to the fender lip when pointing straight ahead. I don't think there is any issue at all buddy.
    Thanks Stogy!

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and I have been keeping "Chrome Troy" busy as well. Waterfall hood trim, corner pocket. Going to do a black paint fill on the "ford" letters.
    upload_2020-7-25_16-28-37.png

23. Job well done pal. Come on rear wheels, where the Heck are ya?

loudbang, Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhg, don't get me started Wizz. I got a couple things I can do in the meantime, mainly the hood.

25. Billy that chrome trim is Gorgeous !
    Man that truck is gonna be a showpiece .

Tommy

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like chrome and shiny, shiny paint!
    And a cute Lil gal who ain't no saint!

I shoulda been in Nashville... Or Detroit

27. loudbang

loudbang

And polishing the man loves polishing. you got one of those shoe buffers in your man room LOL. Bankers have to be spiffy. :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. Banker,,,,,?,,,,,,,I thought he was in real estate ?
    No matter,,,,the man likes cars and does almost all of his own work .
    How can you not respect that !

You the man , Billy !

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Love the tire and wheel choice..it's going to really set off the whole look.
    On your hood ornament/lever I couldn't help but notice that your lever is short (probably broken at some time, and then smoothed (I've seen many like that).
    Here are pictures of am original p/u's hood ornament and a NOS ('41 only) original length lever, and a comparison with a '40 (which aren't interchangeable, as their pivot is located in different positions)
    IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3638.JPG

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, don't tell me I chromed the wrong piece! That was the lever I was given with the waterfall piece. When I took that photo I just laid the lever in because it won't fit! Now I think I know why. Crap!!!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.