Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YAWN.....YET ANOTHER BARN FIND DEUCE TUDOR (UPDATE 3 APR 2019)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodA, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Not much to report. Been out of town a lot dealing with medical issues, graduations, and vacations but managed to squeeze this in with all the rain and mowing. Grass grows 1"/day.

Found this rubber ATV mat at Lowes with a texture I liked. 4'x8'
    20180601_163022.jpg

Got the insulation all in.
    20180601_161942.jpg

Made up an exact pattern after many attempts.
    20180601_160422.jpg

And cut it out in one piece.
    20180601_162949.jpg

And Voila', ready for seats.
    20180602_181950.jpg

brEad, Fairlane500, gonzo and 6 others like this.
  2. Oooh I like that ATV(?) mat. Flooring section at Lowe's I'll assume????

3. Yep. It was rolled up in a stand alone box at the end of the floor covering aisle. One Lowes had it but not the other one. Cuts easy with new blade utility knife or sharp scissors. 3/16" thick. $56.99
    They had the small rib material but only 36" wide. Needed 48".
    20180603_153919.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

5. Seats are in, hopefully for the last friggin' time! For original seats, on original mounts, they sure fit together lousy. Passenger seat back leans farther back than driver's. More opportunities.
    Got to get the door silll edge trim on next.
    20180605_183555.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. triumph 1

triumph 1

Coming together nicely. I really like the floor mat. Going to try to find one @ Lowes & make one for my tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Oh man your sedan is looking great!

Fairlane500 likes this.
  8. Bill,I hope you can finally make the All Deuce Run in 2019,looks like you have mad a lot of progress. HRP

9. Thanks, guys!
    Hey Danny, only a year away now! Start the clock (again).

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As nice as that mat is when it’s clean and new you will probably find that in the future it will be difficult if not impossible to get clean when dirt gets embedded into that texture.

I’ve seen where it appears to be clean when wet as you’re cleaning yet stays a dirty brown when it dries.

11. We'll see. Put some rubber mats in the front to ease the pain. The grain is actually pretty shallow.
    20180607_154958.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Fairlane500 and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Love the matt you installed, looks spot on to me !

13. scotti32

scotti32

coming together nice

14. Floor mat resembles what I have. HRP

upload_2018-6-8_10-3-31.jpeg

15. Thanks guys!
    Hey, Danny, your pic answered one of my unsures. The door sill scuff trim goes on top of the mat, rather than under it? Screws through the sides?

#2: What is the parking brake boot from?

#3: The mat goes on top of the boots? Rather than underneath?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. Not much to report. Except glass woes.

Back in May I went to NSRA Southern Nats in Knoxville and talked to L C Appling, the owner of Vintage Glass, Lawrenceville GA. Got a great price on everything for the sedan, with the assurance that he had the correct patterns, etc, etc. Four weeks delivery due to his work load. No problem.

After waiting and phoning, I finally get the glass the end of JULY!! ONLY 3 MONTHS!!

I decide to install the rear glass first as I wanted some protection for the 41 Chevy third brake light. Get it all installed with the molding and it's got a 1/4" gap at the top!! WTF?! One side is 1/4" shorter than the other.
    I call LC, who assures me it was cut correctly, but agrees to replace it.

I ask if he wants to use my pattern so I make a plywood template, and get an exact pattern and mail it. He gets it before he heads to Louisville but I get a friend to go by his booth and check on it. Promises to get it out to me as soon as he gets back.
    Yep, you guessed it. Still waiting. No response to my messages left.
    Haven't checked the other pieces but something tells me that I had better.
    Duh, ya think?
    So to sum it up: Buyer beware on Vintage Glass, Lawrenceville, GA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  17. Fortunately you don't need window glass to go for a ride. Headed downtown to the cruise-in, with my neighbor riding shotgun and manning the phone cam

18. belair

belair

I have never had new glass fit as good as the original. How hard can it be? Neat car, keep plugging away.

AHotRod likes this.
  19. Thanks! Yep, that's why I asked all the pertinent questions before plunking down the $$. I have patterns from original glass, and could have gotten it cut locally, but his price was too attractive. I knew better.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of a cheap price is gone."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  20. Well, FINALLY got the correct rear glass from Vintage Glass, only took two weeks!!
    20180820_082738.jpg
    Got it in and went to the local Co-Op muffler shop this morning. No rain in the forecast, so it POURED....
    No wipers, side glass or windshield seal. Ahh, the joys of a hotrod.
    20180820_085019.jpg

There wasn't enough room to get pipes over the axle, so all we could do was a couple of turn downs off the mufflers, in front of the axle. Another PITA.
    20180820_095626.jpg

Well, at least the rain stopped.

BUYER BEWARE:
    Vintage Glass, Lawrenceville, GA.
    "The bitter taste of poor service and quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price is gone."

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  21. Well, considering the totally FUBAB rear glass and the ordeal getting it replaced, I thought it might be a good idea to check the other four window pieces (DUH!) against the original patterns I had.
    Of course they didn't match. But just like the rear, they were sanded with low places on the top edges where they should be straight. Corners that should be rounded weren't. Left and right sides different from each other.

Am I expecting too much?

Like the monkey screwing the skunk said: "I've enjoyed all this I can stand!"

He'll be at Shades. Time for a face to face, and a refund.

FWIW:
    Here's one rear quarter glass compared to the other one, laying on the pattern. This shows the top edges of the glass, the bottoms that go in the channel are flush, with one on top of the other. The black Sharpie line shows the difference! Sorry about the o/h light reflection
    20180821_150644.jpg

AVOID VINTAGE GLASS, LAWRENCEVILLE, GA!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    HemiDeuce, Fairlane500 and gonzo like this.
  22. Time for a New Year's update of sorts.

Back in September me and the pile-o-parts 32 made our first out of town chingo to the annual Shades of the Past run in Pigeon Forge, TN. The little flattie hummed right along, steering was good (for a 34 box) but brakes weren't as good as I wanted.
    Got there, parked and took the bad window glass BACK to the Vintage Glass guy, who promised to make it right. After only 4 months since I paid for it!
    20180907_130240.jpg

Got back to the car and the starter was dead. Had juice, but unknown then the Bendix had locked in the flywheel. We tried pulling it, pushing it, beating on it but no luck.
    Thought I would pull off the starter only to discover that I had left the toolbox back at the rental cabin! Walked back through the whole swap meet, called everybody around and sure'nuff not a flathead starter to be found!
    Only solution was to track down the wife, get her car and make a banzai round trip home and back. 3 hours later and the spare starter is on and we're rolling. Thankfully the flywheel wasn't buggered. Got home with no problems. I was stoked!
    Fast forward several weeks, and still no glass from Vintage Glass! He had gone to Cruising the Coast! Then the company that tempers it was down. Blah, Blah, Blah.
    I FINALLY get it, it matches the stock patterns and still doesn't fit! New channels, but locks up 3/4 of the way up. Lesson learned: make a masonite pattern EVERY time!
    20181128_162646.jpg
    Enough of this shit!
    Time to tackle something else. The hood.
    A long time back I discovered that someone had trimmed off both the front edges of the sides 3/4" for some unknown reason!! The Barillaros (Mike and Jim, aka Barillaro Speed Emporium) skillfully tigged on the new pieces that they made and put me back in business. Made up some rear latch brackets from Model A pieces, spent about half a day straightening louvers, and voila', a hood appears.
    Need to soak the panels, and install the lacing, but they fit OK. Made a big improvement, I think.
    Thanks Barillaro brothers!
    Message_1544647122535.jpg
    Message_1544737169588.jpg
    20181215_152403-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  23. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Nice work Bill. Happy New Year. I heard that C. Longley has a place in Franklin, NC. May just be a summer place

Lee

24. Really? Haven't seen him in decades. Did he close his shop or is his son running it?
    Happy New Year to you!

25. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Not really sure. I bought some parts on line from a guy in Franklin. He asked me if I knew Chuck and said that he was in Franklin.

26. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Outstanding! What a great project to bring back to motoring!

27. Thanks!
    First thing this new year is to get the rest of the glass in. It has really set me back.

28. Great thread, enjoyed reading it through, great car and story.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Thanks for taking the time and the kind words.

30. Bill, the car is looking better all the time.

The hood made a big difference. HRP