Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YAWN.....YET ANOTHER BARN FIND DEUCE TUDOR (UPDATE 3 APR 2019)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodA, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope you had a nice Christmas, Dennis. I messaged with the Dynamic Duo before the holidays, and they seemed to be burning the midnight oil like they always do. Trying to figure out which attraction we want to attend out there in '17. Maybe more than just one. HotrodA really scored with his sedan. Haven't seen one in that state in 40 years. Lucky Rebel. Take it easy, and will be watching for some knowledge to seep out of Nebraska. Gary and Joyce

2. Well, since last post, I failed to get 'er done by Knoxville and the All Deuce Run, so yet another deadline is set: Shades of the Past in September.
    Meanwhile, here are a few updates.:

Spindles painted and on for the last time
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

F250 brakes and backing plates painted and on
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Shocks hooked up, but links have to be shortened
    image.jpg

Painted the front 16x4's Ford tractor grey and mounted 5.50R16 Excelsior's.
    image.jpg

Had this louvered hood top with graffiti, got that stripped off. Think it said "the douche bomb"! :eek:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Adapted a Classic Instruments combo fuel pickup and gauge sending unit to stock tank.
    6 holes to 5.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Hard to tell, but rust free tank inside.
    image.jpg

Fuel line run , tank to engine.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    View attachment 3573331
    image.jpg

Tank in, spreader bar in, lights and YOM tag on.
    image.jpg

Next up: Fixing the firewall. Lots of caveman patches, extra holes, cut off bottom, and brass globs. Stay tuned!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. Looking good mate keep it up.

4. Thanks, mate!
    Eatin' the elephant, one bite at the time. He's bigger than I thought. GULP!

greaser likes this.
  5. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this thread. Great work. Going to be a killer ride

6. Thanks!
    Got the firewall bottom lip replaced and extra holes filled. The six large dimples for the OE dash tunnel bolts are entirely filled with lead from a former life. I'll leave them alone. It's off to the blaster tomorrow. No more dirt dauber nests.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    T-roaster likes this.
  7. Well, it's been awhile, but slow progress continues on this heap of a 32. I thought that, for better or for worse, that all this posting was lost in the big HAMB CRASH(tm), but I found a link in another thread. Lucky y'all! HA!

Got the firewall blasted, primed and painted in 8N Ford tractor light grey. Unfortunately a hurricane force wind came up and got a bunch of dust in it before I could get it inside! Oh well, it's a beater.
    IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG

mgtstumpy, Runnin shine and gonzo like this.
  8. Reinstalled the firewall feet. After I found out that it wouldn't go under the cowl with the body on the frame and engine in! Since the dimples were already leaded in, I left them smooth and used some stainless faux rivets. Hooked up a small engine tank and fired it up.
    IMG_3083.JPG
    20171108_130340.jpg

9. Before the firewall install, I got the initial wiring done, with the panel in the floor recess under the rear seat. Lot's more work. Should have gone with plan A, cowl panel. Oh well.
    IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3081.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  10. The transmission mount haunted me, so why not replace it with the engine in place? I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess. Good thing I did, it was 100 times worse than I could see from the top. Pulled the radiator, slid engine and trans forward and was able to get 'er done. MAJOR PITA!
    IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG

11. Kudos and thanks to Richard Lacy for his 34 parking brake kit! Easy install, no fab, and it works!
    No pics, but trust me.

12. Got the firewall pad in, finished up the wiring. Made this temporary panel for the light switch and ignition switch so I could drive it. Hooked up a small engine gas tank and pulled it out for the first time. Brakes were sketchy, so used the parking brake, and turned it around under its own power.
    Big day!
    IMG_3094.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG o

13. Hopes were short lived, as I couldn't figure out the brake issues. Pedal, No pedal. Pedal, no pedal.. Took it down the driveway, spongy brakes down and back. Got fair pedal and decided to drive to town for the last cruise-in for the year. Brakes were fair, but engine was running like shit when it got into mid-range throttle.
    Turned around and headed home. So much for the big debut!
    Switched out the fuel pump, no change. Switched out the carb and voila'. Runs like a scalded ape!
    With sketchy brakes, cancelled taking it to Shades.:mad:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Fairlane500 and Dan E like this.
  14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Congrats, always a few issues to iron out. Looks like a fun old Ford!

15. Next the brake issue!
    After much searching, bleeding, tightening and re-tightening, swearing and just sitting and fuming, I discovered a problem. When I first ran the hard lines, I couldn't find 1/2-20 inverted flare nuts for 1/4" line, but I did find inverted flare reducers, so that's what I hooked up. Finally found the slightest seep at the adapter even though I had tightened them to the point of wringing them off. It would take a couple of days, but sure enough, there was a tiny drip. The adapter ran out of thread before the flared seat was actually tight!
    Ordered the correct nuts, re-did the lines, bled everything a couple of times, and.....................................

NO pedal! ZIP, NADA, ZERO! I'm slinging snot by this time ! WTF could it be? Everything is new. No leaks.........I give up!!

A couple days later, I'm in my parts room, and spy a Raybestos m/cyl box on the shelf for another project. Sure enough, it's the same. R & R'd it and whatta ya know.....instant pedal on the first bleed!!!

HALLELUJAH!!! Lot's of anguish and frustration from some POS part that should work out of the box. Parts guy had better make it good. Here's a pic of the devil's spawn before removal.
    IMG_2691.JPG

Rant over. More to follow.

Hamtown Al and Runnin shine like this.

16. Here's the screaming flattie after the carb switch out. Runs up with no end in sight. Has one slight valve tick, but even with adjustable lifters I'm going to wait on that

Tim, Fairlane500, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  17. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Awesome progress! Looks great.

18. Thanks!
    Installed the rear window wood. Another PITA, especially those 24 tiny spiral nails that hold the sheet metal to the wood. TIP: It helped to pre-drill them with a numbered drill bit. Cleaned out and installed the tack strip channel.
    20171229_184122.jpg
    Set about getting the rear seat back installed. Should be easy, right? Of course not, the hooks won't reach the tack strip, so yet another challenge on the horizon.

BTW: I'm trying to find out what attached to the two brackets bolted to the tack rail. They're factory drilled and still had the anti squeak material under them. The seat does not attach to them, and they do not attach to the window wood.
    IMG_1514673728545.jpg

Runnin shine likes this.
  19. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

You're doing a great job, must be a blast to have her on the road (although briefly). Love this '32!

20. Thanks!
    Finally got the rear seat cushions to fit. Only took three days and a couple of mods to the tack/hanger strip! So much for STOCK fit! The old, brittle upholstery didn't fair as well. The old sun dried top panel under the rear window cracked bad, so it'll need some attention. A hair dryer softens the stuff enough to move it around some, though. Don't know how long ago the re-cover job was done, but there's a white one underneath. It will be warm enough tomorrow for a good cleanup. Hopefully it will do as good as the driver seat
    20180106_144604.jpg
    IMG_2039.JPG

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

I would search the barn the bumper looks like it's off a 34

22. If you're talking about the tack rail bracket, that's what I suspected. Maybe why it didn't fit right. It came with the car, the original was rotted in pieces. Thanks!

23. Well, we had a short heat wave today (60*), so I took the heap for a short spin up Hwy 70.
    Nothing fell off, and with the new carb the speed is down right scary. Not sure about the 34 box with the Excelsiors. Moving on, there's plenty left to do. Exhaust and Glass would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Fairlane500, RustyDogg and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. FlatJan

FlatJan

great work so far.. Keep it up!
    btw are F250 brakes same as F100 as the Lincoln drums seems to fit?

25. Thanks!
    F-250 are 12" diameter vs. 11"(?) for F-100 and F-150.

26. greaser

greaser

I really like how this is coming together. Nice job!
    Are those spacer plates between the front hubs and drums?

27. Thanks!
    Yes, the repro drum just kissed the F250 backing plate. I could have trimmed either, but 1/8" spacer from some old wire wheel supports did the trick for now. Probably will face off the drum or space out the inner bearing later.

28. Not too much to report after getting it running and stopping. Lots of winter sickness for me and the wife. Just trying to get her (the 32!) more road worthy until the weather clears. Painted the floor boards, filled the stock battery hole, made an access cover for the master cylinder, made a little trans cover, made up some pedal cover plates; getting ready for floor insulation and mat. Got the passenger seat cleaned up. Got some glass patterns. Converted the oil bath air cleaner to K&N.
    20180216_200023_1518836694862.jpg
    20180301_180014(1).jpg
    20180312_151639.jpg
    20180315_172947.jpg Made this little 3rd brake light from a 41 Chev tail light. Yeah, I know....but better than nothing against the stupid drivers.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  29. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Nice work Bill. Happy Easter! Are you heading toward Charlotte next weekend?

30. Happy Easter! He is risen!
    Got Rev. War reenactment that weekend. Really don't need anything. (WHAT????) Would like a bare 40 dash if you have one.
    You going to be with Cliff? Tell him hi from me!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Thor1 and Grandadeo like this.