Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YAWN.....YET ANOTHER BARN FIND DEUCE TUDOR (UPDATE 3 APR 2019)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodA, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Thanks, Dennis!

Hopefully the rest of it won't be so aggravating, but I doubt it. Lots of caveman ingenuity in this car!

2. Slow progress, but a big step with good news!
    I was unsure of the 59AB's condition but decided that if I could get it running I could make some big progress and save some $$ and time.
    It turned over, had compression and when I pulled the pumps was very clean inside the water jackets, and even had some not so new red paint on the block and pan.

So I left the engine in and pulled the pan and intake. The pan was a PITA!

First find: New gaskets and blue Permatex.
    Second find: Minimal(1/4") sludge in the pan and pickup screen.
    Third find: Clean bottom end and block, with almost fresh cylinder hone.
    Fourth find: Clean lifter valley with adjustable lifters. No wear on cam. Too bad the builder didn't drill the lifter bosses.
    Here are some pics of the good news.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I'm going to button her back up, and let'er rip! WOOHOO!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    brEad, Fairlane500, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Now how cool is that to find........Some guys just live right.

4. Ya,
    In my world I would do the same.
    Keep it up!
    I would eat off it!

5. Plans are to leave it stock for now, to get it running and debugged, but I have a set of finned heads and my newly found Edelbrock slingshot for down the road.
    image.jpg

heavydumper, Stogy and Tony Martino like this.
  6. Opened the carb up, expecting the worst, and found this:
    image.jpg

Clean as a whistle! New gaskets and new acc pump. All I did was blow some carb cleaner through it, tighten up a loose jet and bolted it back together. Pan gasket is in the mail, (everyone I have is 8BA!). so we getting closer to making music.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  7. There's no gas in the carb.:) Looks like you are making out great with the condition of the engine.

8. Ha! No wonder it won't start.
    Just amazed that it didn't have a bunch of crud and scale. Fuel pump kit going in next, then some ignition tuneup. Probably fire it off with a gravity tank, until the stock tank is ready to go, and new line run.

9. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

10. Well, it's been a while since an update, so here goes.
    Got the engine back together, new water pumps on, sorted out the PITA water hoses and tubes, sorted out the ignition and hooked up 12 volt batt. Went through the carb a couple of times and finally got it sorted out. Plumbed in a lawn mower tank to the carb and said a prayer.
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    25 psi oil pressure at idle and 140*!
    Still have to futz with carb, change out the narrow belt, and re-do the jury rigged hoses. Film at 11.

image.jpg

Can't get the video to load. Says "does not have the correct extension". ???????

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  11. 1/2" drive camera?

Stogy likes this.
  12. HA!
    Cell phone, metric.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

"8mm"? Is the bulb in the projector good?

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a nice lo mileage flattie (59AB) with no holes in tappet bosses too. I recall using the little Johnson adjustables' holding brackets to adjust the lash...NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN WITH BAD BACKS!
    Was refreshing to see your con rods with their pal nuts...

Nice work on the mounts. I admire the care with which you're proceeding...that was a real HOOT when your bud found the missing floor pans.
    Beautiful sedan. Good plan...

15. Never could get the phone video to load.

Meanwhile got the carb adjusted, and the start up oil smoke has cleared up. No tach, but with the rpms up, she runs 50 psi oil pressure with 10W30.

Next: get the 39 pedals cleaned up and in, clutch linkage in, and power to the rear end.

16. Mocked up one of my BLC 682-J headlights. Like the vintage fat look.
    image.jpg

Fairlane500, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  17. Well, after a year of life's interruptions, like the home repair from hell, I have managed to make some pitiful progress on this.

Sorry cell phone pics, I know. Just squint a little.

Replaced the dropped axle with another from Okie Joe that had a more gentle drop, and got the 32 steering arms bent to fit. Also shortened a spare tierod to make an adjustable draglink.
    image.jpg
    Original plan was to run an F-1 box, but decided to try out this rebuilt 34 box that I had for my coupe. Perfect.
    image.jpg
    Column angle was perfect, and I went with a banjo wheel, rather than a 40.
    image.jpg
    I modified a set of 34 pedals (since the x-member turned out to be 34, not 37 like the tranny) to actuate the clutch as well as a master cylinder. Clutch linkage is all stock early Ford, and the homemade bracket mounts a AMC m/cylinder. Same as Ford but the ports face the frame.
    image.jpg
    Repaired some of the x-member and got the anti-chatter rods shortened to fit.
    image.jpg
    Fabbed up the exhaust to fit around everything, and stuck on some Porters I had. Not a good pic of that, but I used up some pieces of 1 3/4" to give it a period look
    Got the floor sorted out, and some seat mounts fabbed. There's a steel panel under the plywood for some added support.
    image.jpg Seats came with the car and you can see the improvement with a cleanup.
    image.jpg
    Decided to use F-250 brakes on the front, since I had them, so an Early V8 kit made it easy. Thanks, Dennis and Richard for a nice product.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Scored some repro Lincoln drums at the Nashville swap meet, but they hit the backing plate! Made some 1/8" spacers for now, maybe move the inner bearings out, once it's on the road.
    image.jpg
    Now it's time to finish up the floor under the back seat. One of the PO's had cut it out to clear something in the past, and my friend was lucky enough to find the pieces, welded together to make a bolt bin! They were torch cut, so getting them back in will be a challenge/opportunity.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    Still have to put brakes on the rear axle, and plumb them, plus some simple wiring, and maybe it will move under it's own power.
    My initial goal was the All Deuce Run, in June, but with all of life's interruptions, maybe the Shades in September is more reasonable.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  18. What? Not an update???
    Yep, I'm a no good slacker when it comes to updates, so here we go. Progress at the usual pitiful pace on the 32, but there is some.

Gave up on trying to piece back in the sections cut from the under seat pan, so cut it all out and got it ready for this complete gennie section, after some straightening and primer
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Stogy likes this.
  19. The ALL DEUCE RUN 2017? HRP

20. Pulled the rear spring to figure out WTF was going on with it. Could NOT get it out of the crossmember pocket! Had to disassemble it in place, and remove one leaf at a time! No wonder!
    It was a straight leaf 37 spring jammed up into what turned out to be a 34 curved rear crossmember. Cleaned it up, ground off a little off one side, put in some poly liner, dropped a few leaves, and voila, a smooth spring and a lower ass.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Also found out the the 34 crossmember lowers the rear 1-1/2" over the 32's! That's a plus . Since the previous caveman had only trimmed and wedged the crossmember in the rails, I squared it up and welded it in solid.

Next up was some rear shocks. I had these working, gennie 40(?) fronts, and found out that these commercial links with opposed studs would hookup with the eyes on the 37 axle brackets. Angled them a little in case I ever run fenders, and bingo. Travel is centered and they work perfect.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Tim, Fairlane500 and Stogy like this.
  21. On to the rear brakes. Cleaned up some grungy rear backing plates, got them installed with new shoes and some NORS aftermarket drums and Raybestos wheel cylinders. I wanted removable drums, which required some stripped down 40 hubs, with new studs, bearings and seals.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  22. Ran the rear hard lines, across the axle, up the rail to the AMC master cylinder.
    Plumbed in RPV's and then up to the front crossmember and over. I used that Ni/Copp line for the first time, and for the ease of bending it, it is difficult to make tight compound bends without nicking/marking it, even with a good bender.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Fairlane500 and Stogy like this.
  23. Found a piece of 1/4" wall stainless tube I had forgotten about and figured that it would make a low buck, heavy duty, rear spreader bar. Just needs a little polishing.
    image.jpg
    Moved the battery location to the right side, and made up a tray from some odd bits laying around. Bolts in between the 34 x-member and frame rail.
    image.jpg
    Mounted up a tire (7:00R16 Excelsior) on a 5" Lincoln wheel and threw it on for some inspiration.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Next to do is hook up the front hoses and bleed 'em. Then it's down to some wiring, gas tank, and firewall feet install. Goal now is Knoxville, then Deuce Run. Hopefully no more PO mistakes to have to re-engineer.
    I want to keep this looking like an old survivor hot rod (other than the Excelsior's)
    More to follow.

Stogy likes this.
  24. That's the plan. Use Knoxville (70 miles) for shakedown or breakdown run. Seems like a ton of stuff still to do, and that's just the first go 'round. Got to address glass, upholstery, paint..............

Have the dates been set for the All Deuce Run?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  25. Been a while since I checked in on ya......Dam. You have been kicking butt with this. Looks great and I am sure you will be on the road soon.
    Merry Christmas to ya...

26. Thanks, but not at the pace I anticipated. At least the grass mowing (5 acres) is over. I can get easily side tracked on the 41 pickup if I don't watch out. ADD is not a plus in the car hobby.

27. Another textbook example of some of the quality caveman workmanship that is more than abundant on this poor car.

Bubba: "Did you remember about the steering box when you boxed the frame?"
    Eugene: "Well shit, hand me that there torch!"
    image.jpg
    Opportunities abound!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Roadsir

Roadsir

That torch work is some crafty stuff....Looks like you getting close to a drive?

29. Maybe.....
    I've found a few things that I need to go back and tweek,
    and it still needs all the wiring done, with lights, etc.
    Have to pull out the firewall and attach the feet, which were MIA. No side glass either, but don't need that for a shakedown.
    Just need to take a deep breath, and keep pressing on.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked it but not really liked it (scary torch work...:eek:)another candidate for sweeping with a broom with No bristles...your doing a great job...hopefully more fun than not. I am sure the first drive will wash away many of the not so pleasurable parts.

Fairlane500 and gonzo like this.