Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YAWN.....YET ANOTHER BARN FIND DEUCE TUDOR (UPDATE 3 APR 2019)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodA, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I object Larry, have a look at this one. 332.jpg

2. Thanks for the responses.
    Guess a person really should have TWO sedans.

brEad likes this.
  3. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

The defense agrees with the prosecution on the matter of the illuminating devises and their supports.

Atwater Mike and 3wLarry like this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

or just attach fenders with clicos for quick removal

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. gonzo

gonzo

I'll vote on this too (not that anyone asked). I think no fenders gets chopped, with fenders no chop but real low. My opinion.

6. pumpman

pumpman

I'm curious, do you know how long it sat and when was it last driven? Great car by the way which ever way you take it.

7. Hard to say. It looks like an amalgamation of three or four different cars, and probably wasn't driven in its current state.
    Some of the mods seem fairly recent, like the square tube crossmembers torched out, when the x-member was installed. Trans and rearend are '37, engine is 59AB, with some modern wiring, but the front end is a stock, mechanical braked 32.
    The body DOES have some older repairs with both filler and lead top coats, so it also leaves some unanswered questions.
    Since the owner is deceased, probably will never know, and just start with a clean sheet of paper, and right some of the wrongs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. "Like Bruce said: align crank center with the stock `32 handcrank guide, or be sure it's 2 .375" below the top of the frame rail so the rear trans is flush against the K member."

Thanks! Bruce L. and XIX32​

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  9. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Nice wheels!

If your doing a Hot Rod, temporary mock up is the way to go. For a resto you'll need lots of references and measurement input.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

You Might want to consider replaceing the front cross member with a 32 member, then use 32 motor mounts. That'll take care of the positioning issues re heigth.

11. One of the tests to my indecivisness for 32 vs Model A.

32 can use stock mounts, but A gets an extra inch of drop, but requires weld on or bolt in frame mounts.

The clumsy, fat frame mounts that are in there will definitely have to come out. I removed the rubber biscuits, and the engine is at the right height in the frame, so they gotta go.

12. thequietwon

thequietwon

Use the a 32 crossmember and raise the spring mount. On my 5w I mocked it up with my radiator and put it about 1/4 from the bottom of the tank.

13. Good idea, Sam.

Or add a 32 rear flange to a Model A.

14. Any way you decide to build the sedan I'm sure you will end up with a nice car,,your Model A is a prime example of the work you are capable of. HRP

15. Awwww, shucks, Danny.
    The sedan will be almost like yours, I imagine.

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Nice score! I always figured if I ever got a '32, I'd build it in a few phases. Phase 1 would be a post-war, fenderless, interiorless, not painted salt flat style car with a flathead and "bomber" style seats, Phase 2 would be a more refined, fenderless car with primer and some chrome goodies, and Phase 3 would be an overhead powered, shiny paint, full interior late 50's style car that would look good with fenders or without.
    Good luck with your build! I'll be watching it!

gonzo likes this.
  17. Finally saw some improvement with my back, so spent some time in the shop unpacking United Pacific goodies. (You would think the screws might be included.)

Anyhow, when I got the car, one of the issues was this. Some dumbass torched out these two sections in an otherwise perfect rear floor.
    image.jpg
    My buddy who I got the car from went through the barn looking for 32 parts and spotted this tub, full of rusty bolts.
    image.jpg
    Hard to believe, but the bolt tub was the two pieces from the violated floor sorta gas welded together. Cutoff wheel took care of that.
    image.jpg
    Just need a cleanup and a little welding, and the floor will be back to goodness. Who knows what the other two flaps were cut for.
    Very lucky find, I would say!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    brEad, Fairlane500 and Runnin shine like this.
  18. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Wow did that save some time and money! When things are meant to work out, they do!

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like another case of " what the hell were they thinking?" Excellent ,lucky save!

20. Mart

Mart

I wonder if the flaps were for access to top tube shock mounts. It is hard to try and work out what other people were thinking and why they did things, though.

Mart.

21. Looks like you have a winner .....Go for it....

22. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

She's so Heavy?

"I need my mirror boy"

24. Sloooow progress, but progress nonetheless.
    Got my shortened hood over to the Barillero Bros. to fix.

Got in all the missing pieces, rubber, hardware, etc. from Drake last week.
    DING,DING $$$$.

Cleaned up the crusty w/s frame, and got new glass cut. Got the rest of the glass patterns from HAMBers. Big THANKS to BillM and 383Deuce!

Swapped out the butchered dash for the nice one. Still noodling on the insert and gauges.

Went from this:
    image.jpg
    To this:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Old POS cleaned up pretty well!
    You ain't gotta thing, if you ain't got some BLING.
    Check where the PO leaded in the recesses on the firewall where the dash tunnel bolts. Solid.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Fairlane500 likes this.
  25. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Looks like progress, which is all that matters! Any speed above stopped is a win, imo.

I'm working on my dash now, figuring out gauge diameters and dash panels that I like and that match is my issue.

Are you going OE style, or later on the gauges?

26. Leaning toward stock-style engine turned panel with SW speedo and two gauges for the "get 'er driving " first stage k.i.s.s. version.

27. I like the window frame....Looks like it turned out very nice.

28. Thanks, it does have a couple of pinholes in the face, but only minor issues in the bottom gutter. Old re-chrome, almost worn through the plating in a few spots. Perfect for a beater.

29. Some more sloth like progress, but with holiday travel, barn project and self inflicted injuries taking up time, I'll take it.

Cut out the ugly, poorly welded (thankfully) motor mounts, fabbed up some more pleasing ones from left-overs, cut out the boxing, and got them mocked in place. Going to bolt in stock shock holes ala NealinCA's
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

This took care of the engine being mounted way too high, and no clearance between the fan and upper hoses
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Also installed a dropped axle I had been saving, with a lowered spring and 32 spindles. Still have to bend the arms, may switch out the perches for some shaved ones, and reverse the main leaf.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Fairlane500 likes this.
  30. Moving right along with it you are......Keep it going.