Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yard Find? `50 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerocolor, Oct 11, 2012.

1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Like I needed another project but just couldn`t pass it up.

This truck had been sitting for the last five years in plain sight but not for sale when my wife inquired occasionally. "Gonna restore it"

Well, coming home from the Pumpkin Run Saturday she asked if I wanted to run by and take another shot at it. Left my note and this time he set a price.We negotiated for a bit and it came home.

It`s going to sit `til spring but I`ll get to it after the `36 Ford Pickup is done.

Plans are for a shop truck sitting on the ground with Mustang II, 10 bolt, V8/700R4 combo and leave the paint as is. They`re way more fun when you don`t have to wax `em.
    Getting tough to find these this complete.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      495.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      490.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      372.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      449.6 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      385.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      407 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Looks really solid, good score. I love that series pickup, no matter how they are done they look great, from stock to hot rodded.

Don

3. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Nice find . Have fun with it.

4. You don't run across to many old Chevy trucks that have been left along,,wash it and drive it as is. HRP

5. Fenders

Fenders

Just put a carburetor on it, fix the bed, and drive the sucker !!

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Love `em stock too but driving stockers not so much.Drive one for an hour on the freeway and you`ll understand.
    I want to drive this one every day I`m able.

7. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

I would like to have one of these AD trucks for my DD. I can't seem to find one around my area that's worth fixing that they don't want a fortune for. I've been talking to a guy with a ton but he's hesitant to sell it.

8. n847

n847

Some guys have all the fun!

9. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

You sure it's a 50? 1949 was the first year for the in-cab tank in AD trucks, 47-48 were under the bed and yours looks to have the original filler neck on the bed side.

Great lookin truck man. Wish my cab was that clean. :cool:

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a hell of a good start on a nice little truck. Persistence does pay off.

After having another "econo daily driver" crap out and cost me more money and time than I want to think about I'd seriously considering digging into my stash of AD parts and putting together a reliable daily driver that will actually hold up so I can drive it every day.

And it is a 47 or 48 and not a 50 with the gas tank under the bed in the correct spot. the firewall with no ribs is another sign along with it most likely having the reinforcement panel around behind the seat and the rear cab mount in the center of the crossmember rather than the shackles on the sides of the frame.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

^ that's what I'm doing. :)

12. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

We ran the vin and it shows an early production `50 but this is the 8th AD we`ve owned and have found discrepancies in just about every truck as far as year to year changes. Only one `48 Thriftmaster was correct on all counts. All experts tell me that`s common. We have a `50 build going now but the cab/doors are off a grain truck.
    I was happy the tank isn`t behind the seat as I prefer to run a fuel cell at the rear of the bed.

At this point you take what comes with these trucks.:)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      483.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      469.6 KB
      Views:
  13. In my area there were tons the last couple years as Old Navy, which had TONS of them, one in each store...sold them all off..I know someone who bought quite a few of them.

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

cool truck i want one.

15. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

lol. Mine is the same way. Lots of strange shade tree repairs made along the way to keep it running on the farm. My cab and title are '51 the motor is '52 and I think the bed is from 2 or 3 different AD trucks between 47-53 and 54-55.

What number did you use or did the title list for a vin? Mine's got the original block number on the record but the original motor was long gone by the time I got her.

16. I'd like to build one of those with one of the new 4.8, 5.3 ,6.0 style Chevy LS motors. (yeah yeah I know, not traditional). Cool truck!

17. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

It was tagged in the left door jamb with the original plate/serial#

18. AZbent

AZbent

That is a good looking truck. If only mine was that nice. Mark

19. Wow, I'm jealous - that thing looks to be in great shape. Just goes to show that persistence pays off. Congrats.

20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Have one down here that I wish this guy would come off of... been sitting 20 yrs and he wont let it go..

21. Coach529

Coach529

Wow, what a great find.

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! Very cool looking truck.

I have a stocker (1948). I put radial tires on it and it drives really really well on the freeway. Try changing your tires, it made a huge difference in the way the truck rides and behaves on irregular surfaces.

23. Johnny La-Chingas

Johnny La-Chingas

24. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Sorry, been concentrating on the `36 build but my buddy down in Waynesville saw the Chevy and volunteered to do the suspension and three point the engine/trans at a very reasonable rate.
    Well being I`m not gonna get to it for another season, it`s down there and now he`s decided he would go as far as I want him to.

The guy does great work and we have become really good friends.I have no reservations about his quality and expertise so I`m letting him run with it.I like doing my own work but the opportunity can`t be passed up.

Getting a IFS and an S10 rear with a SBC/700R4 and being that the last two seasons have been dreadfully hot, air conditioning is going in.
    We are leaving the paint as is after doing some panel replacement to tidy up the fenders.Before I took it to him I stripped out the interior as necessary and replaced the seat.

I do have some progress pics.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      488.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      482.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      482.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      445.6 KB
      Views:
  25. jesse1980

jesse1980

26. I think he is talking about the fact you can barely go the speed limit. And if you are running the babbit 216 and pushing it hard it wont last long.

they say 50 all day or 60 for 10 minutes

27. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

sure do love those 3 window trucks!

28. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Never heard that quote but it does apply.:)

29. Holy chit! I need him to whip mine into gear like that! Looks great.

What year chevy is that brake pedal assembly out of? Any more pics you could show of it under the dash?

30. I like what he did with the rear spring hangers. I was thinking of moving them up and thru the frame like he did, but that darn rear cross member was in the way. I didn't even think of removing the cross member!