Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YARD ART ROADSTER (BUILD THREAD)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haven Hills Auto Club, Aug 9, 2021.

1. I'm NOT saying I would sell at this point, but if I did, no less than $2,500. But I would trade straight up for another piece of rusty gold. No trucks or fordors. Only coupes or roadsters would be entertained. But If I title it, then the game changes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, thanks for the reply and thanks for the thought.
    Considering my finances, I'm actually looking for a much rougher car to start with.
    LOL... just kidding.
    Actually, in almost any case, I'll need a heavier piggy bank to allow me to start with fairly good metal to accommodate my underdeveloped "skills".

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  3. I searched for 4 years for a cleanish 30/31 roadster. Too much money for rust or too far away. I ended up going with Brookville. One big patch panel for my original cowl top. I love the old iron, but hard to find. Some people get lucky though. Keep searching, you will find something. I think plans are in the works for this old roadster. We will see.

sko_ford, chryslerfan55 and Rickybop like this.
  4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the thread “ I’m here to pickup the rubbish “ maybe that will inspire or motivate You .

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  5. I have been following that thread. That roadster is way nicer than this old T, and it's a 32. Worth twice as much when finished. It's amazing that someone thought that 32 was worthless. Epic story and cool build.

6. Check out "27 ROADSTER ON A FRAME" by Emil from Sweden. That T is way nicer than mine too. Worthy of restoration. It's an old post that didn't seem to get finished, but a good start.

chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  7. Oh, and check out "FINALLY I GET MY FLATHEAD POWERED T ROADSTER" by mctim64. Another epic build. A lot of great ideas and inspiration here on the HAMB.

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

no serious "lookers" on this...
    found one...
    even with addition of a bus seat and hood sides she may not end up being "my" lawn art ! DSCN7749.JPG

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  9. 32 rails, A body, 8 or 9 inch rear? Looks fun!

10. evintho

evintho

11. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

look forward to seeing the pictures, and maybe we can save it. sounds like what i'm trying to build.

Thanks...Mike

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  12. Anything is fixable, but how much are you willing to throw away.
    20210810_181146.jpg 20210810_181158.jpg 20210810_181206.jpg 20210810_181212.jpg 20210810_181218.jpg

13. It has shape, but every panel is see through. The sub rails are rotted and twisted. Every seam is swelled and rotted. So fab new subrails, replace the bottom 6 inches all the way around, every seam, the hing and latch pillers, and seat base. 75% is unusable in my opinion. The doors are the nicest part and the inner structure is hacked on both. Now, if kept rusty, it could be straightened and built for fun. No paint.

14. dwollam

dwollam

15. Focus on fixing one spot at a time. Look at the stuff that Jim Sibley fella starts with.

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poor baby! That is crusty.

It would be a fun dirt car with a good cage welded up inside to strengthen it. Put a banger or V8 in it, throw some wide 5s on and hoon it. Anything would be better than letting it return to the earth, imo.

17. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Estimate the amount of time all the metal repair will take, multiply by 3 at least, consider your hourly rate (yeah I know it's a hobby) then pass it off or make it a planter......or slave away on it while your other more feasible projects sit idly by while you look for another roadster planter. Seem like a no brainer to me. Happy wife less stressful life.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That thing is knackered. That was on my buddy's trailer, I was surprised anybody wanted it. There was a BEAUTIFUL '27 Touring body almost next to it for $3500 that the guy took back home with him.

19. I was looking for a cheap roadster to play with. I was so excited to see that hunk of rust. The tall T that was on the trailer was really cool too! You never know what you will find at the swapmeet.

Okie Pete and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  20. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Great body style. If you get too busy on it to hear your wife, she may understand.
    Having to watch it get worse would eat at me. Find the magic that will save it.
    GOOD LUCK.

21. Ok, paperwork is on its way and so is a 28/29 chrome grille that has perfect age for the project. If I can find a mill this project might go some where. Still need a deck lid, windshield parts, and 16 inch blackwalls.

22. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Ouch! I have parts of both Roadsters and Tourings That could help some. bracing and seat risers ect are the same, Sub frame is different from quarter panels back.

Mike

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I’ve been married about the same, but my wife is at her happiest when she keeps her nose out the car end of my business.

SS327 likes this.
  24. My wife is into the old cars, just not at my level of insanity. Our first date was a car show. Her engagement ring is a 53 Chevy 3100. My Mustang and her 3100 was with us at the alter at our country car show inspired wedding. Our anniversary is the Red Barns Spectacular at Gilmore. Our honeymoon was a road trip from Miami back home with an old lifted truck. She is into the cars, but I think she wants me to spend a little time on the house. Balance is key here.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, HHAC;
    Well, after seeing those pics, I think I've changed my mind on "roading" it. HooWee, that is rough.
    Although I can see the ad now: "Nice little T roadster, almost 100% there, rust-free, unaltered, unbutchered, not-even-hotrodded-yet, Henry-original, needs only a small amount of detailing to make it yours." When they say something about the rust, just tell them that the rust is free. :D .
    Still, should be a fun(?) project. How'll you top that for the wifes' soon-to-be *newest*(as of yet unfound) planter?
    :D .
    Marcus...

26. I don't know how to top this as a planter. Lol. The T is talking to me and I have invested some money into it. I have to go try and break free a 40' flatty and see if it will run. The "project" is hinging on that flatty. We will see.

27. Hey guys, how bout putting this flathead six backed by a 36 trany in the roadster? Free mill and TROG friendly? Straight piped out the passenger hood? 20210704_140843.jpg