Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yankee 960 turn signal hook up help....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sartana, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Sartana

Sartana

I have a Yankee 960, 4 wire turn signal unit that I want to install on my 1937 Chrysler (12v, neg ground conversion). Currently, the car has a 7 wire unit installed and it works great...but how do I go to the four wire unit? I have been looking around online and I see references to 'relay units' and the like, but I have not found a nice, step by step wiring diagram for how to do this. As I really am not an ace with electrical projects, I really could use the help. Thanks!

2. The 7 wire unit uses the brake lights as the rear turns, the 4 wire won't so you'll have to install separate rear turn lights. Or you can wire in a 'trailer convertor' to restore the functions you now have. DON'T install separate turns in the same housings as they won't be visible when the brake lights are on.

Best bet would be to get another 7 wire switch if yours is bad....

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. Terrible80

Terrible80

5. Dougsclassic

Dougsclassic
    from Washington

I've been restoring self canceling die cast metal bodied 7 wire switches for over 15 years. Recently I have converted a couple Yankee 960 switches to 7 wire units by fitting later model internal switches into them. I have one of those for sale right now and I have another 960 NOS in absolute mint condition. I have not been successful in uploading pictures for some reason.

REBEL43 likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

think this is a signal stat … HIH. blinka 1.jpg

7. 24riverview

24riverview

8. pprather and REBEL43 like this.
  9. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Nice! I’ve wanted to come up with a universal type of insert where people could use an old body of a switch and put new guts in it, but like most things it takes time and money and it seems you never have both at the same time, and then you’re always competing with the $20 Chinese switches. I like the idea of converting them!
    Jeremy @ Rebel Wire

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I raced modified "hot wheels" for a few years... one of the racers worked at a toy factory...
    he made a mold of a '32 3 window I narrowed... made me a few plastic bodies...
    if you can find a guy like that he could cast the internal switch body to re-wire the vintage switches...

REBEL43 likes this.