Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ya ever just sit in a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Oct 15, 2010.

1. You gotta do it, it's part of the build.

2. ScottV

ScottV

I have run some of my quickest 1/4 mile times this way !!! :p

I had a friend in Aurora, Colorado the had a projection type big screen he set up in his shop. Date night was dinner and a movie at the "Drive In". He couldn't drive anymore because of a eye condition so this was the best way to enjoy the car.

3. me and a buddie were in my f1 and i was pretending to run it through the gears, i started laughing because simultaniously we both the the forward and back neck jerk just each time i shifted...still doesn't feel like MY truck though

4. I brought home this old "A" and Jeff had to try it on! I set up a twin carb mill, and handed him a beer!

Attached Files:

5. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

yep.. i also had a desoto (1951) and often just sat in it peering out of the garage over the steering wheel... it was a source of humor to my freinds for a while.. then one night after some beer and a bbq, 6 of us went for an imaginary criuse in her ,, we even made sure "we pulled of the road" for a bathroom stop, it really was a cool road trip , and no chance of being pulled for drunk driving ... there were several others but none good as the first......

6. Well hell yes. Especially when I was a kid. I used to sit behind the wheels of our projects and make engine noises. (even when there was no engine...or drivetrain....or frame....or steering column to hold the wheel up....LOL)

Edit:pretty much what Adam M has pictured up there^ LOL

7. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

My 34 Ford truck cab is setting in the shop floor, my six year old daughter and sit on two shop stools( the perfect height).
    We use a 49 ford steering wheel for cruising down the road. When she makes the engine noises the motor has a terrible giggling miss. Cant wait for the real first ride we take in it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  8. 63dan63

63dan63

Imagination is a powerful tool.

[​IMG]

9. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I've taken a lot of naps underneath and in my projects. I sometimes make "meow" engine noises instead of "vrooom" just to keep it interesting :)

10. cakes

cakes

Everyday, makes me want it back on the road that much more

11. Motion bird

Motion bird

I do it all the time. Last summer was hot as ballz and I have a window unit a/c in the garage. Unfortunatly the only way to park the car is with the window directly in front of the side windows of the car. I could get the temp in the garage down a few degrees,but the real treat was to jump in the driver's seat(the only seat in the car) and just take in the air until my head wasnt soaked with sweat anymore.

In my race car I have a 2 speed powerglide,but it still has the 3rd pedal from the days of yore. I have a heavy brake return spring holding it up,and it gives my left foot something fun to do when I am driving up the staging lanes. I would love to have a stick in the car,but there is no way I could compete with those pesky dragster that repeat down to the thousandth of a second. Drag racers with a trans brake do get an honest excuse to "play race car driver" . We can wire our trans brake button to a practice tree and call it "driver training".

On a funnier note,when one of the car rags did an article featuring Grumpy's new 82 Camaro that was soon to be driven by Joe Lepone, Da Grump said that he got a chuckle out of that kid sitting in the car making engine noises and yanking on the shifters.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  12. I sit in one project, my kids in another, and we drag race in the garage....

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have fallen asleep under cars a few times. Seems to be happening more as I get older...

14. russ1403

russ1403

same here but i also day dream about cruzin the streets:) someday.....

15. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Do it almost every time I work on the lakester! I just close my eyes and dream of the slat!

16. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Oh yeah most def! Gotta make the engine noises and the tire screeching turn sound as well.

and I've been known to fall asleep on some cardboard on the ground for a quick nap.

17. I would like to think that each and everyone of us has done that at times. My friend Steve has moved his '32 5 window into his lounge to make more room in the garage to work on this '32 pickup and has been caught sitting in it eating lunch with the computer on the cowl showing "Mad Fabricators" show on it.

Attached Files:

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awwww....Jenny is embarrassed. She likes hot rods. She took a shining to the Shoebox but she wants a rod!!!

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Errrr, um......... you guys are weird!

I worked in an aircraft museum in my spare time through school, we had a complete DAP Mk 21 Beaufighter that I looked after, man did I sink some jap ships and shoot down a lot of Zero's in that thing!
    Visitors must have wondered what the hell was going on with machine gun sounds from the cockpit and all the control surfaces moving!

Doc.

20. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Oh hell yeah!

Attached Files:

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This guy just became my HERO!! Imagine sitting in there watching American Graffiti on a big screen TV!!:eek::D

Doc.

22. Toner283

Toner283

I think everybody has sat in one & dreamed. your not a real car guy unless you have. As for the sleep under a car question, let me tell a little story.

Early 2006 my sister got engaged. They asked my parents if she could have the wedding at their house in the country. You know, tent, dance outdoor wedding, the whole shot. Folks say no problem. then she asks my dad if he can drive her to the head of the aisle before he gives her away. dad says sure, which car? she asks for it to be the model A....... Possible problem. we are mid build at this point. the chassis is pretty much ready but the body looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad & I discuss the options & the possibility of making it in time. figure there is no way it will be finished but we can probably make it a runner in time without cutting any corners. so the thrash begins.

We worked at it every night when I was on day shift (only 2 weeks out of 4) and every sat/sun for a year & a bit. A week before the wedding there was still a lot to do. doors not hung, no wiring, did not run yet etc. we had also not told anyone of the plans to use the car in the wedding in case we missed. A friend heard of our thrash & told us that if we were not going to make it in time to call him & we could have his bone stock fully restored 30 pickup to use. This is a guy that does not even know us well, just form going to the same local shows for years. That my friends is what this car hobby is all about.

Anyways, a week to go & I took the week off of work as vacation to get the car ready (hopefully). My sister is starting to stress that we will not make it. I spent about 80 hours in the garage getting the car ready to go. fired it for the first time in 35 years the thursday night before the wedding.

The point of all this typing is, at one point (about 1 am) my mom came out in the garage to check on me & make sure I wasn't dead because she had not heard any noise for a while. she found me under the car on the creeper (car was on stands with no wheels at this point) sound asleep. She dragged (rolled?) me out by the foot and then covered me with a blanket. Then she turned on the trouble light (night light?) & closed the roll up doors & shut off the main lights & the compressor & she went to bed.

I remember waking up wondering for a few second just WTF was going on & where the hell was I. this was about the time dawn was creeping into the sky. I figured it would be a waste of time to go home & then come back in a couple of hours so I went in & crashed on my folks couch. Man do you get sore when you sleep on a creeper for a night.

As to the car & the wedding, well.......

[​IMG]

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Oh, hell no. Thats just weird. I'd never do that. Thats like touching yourself.............and I'd never do that either. where are my glasses????

24. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

I have spent about as much time sitting in it as I have working on it. I've done every sketch for the car while in it with a clipboard and a pencil. Lack of funds is a drag, but making engine noises and waving to imaginary girls walking by keeps the dream alive...