Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y.O.M. original California plates...I have questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Jun 27, 2013.

  1. Buzznut
    Joined: May 9, 2008
    Posts: 2,349


    My truck is ready to roll, but I wanted to register it with original yellow California plates for 1956. I've been told that truck plate numbering is different, and also that I'll need plates that will clear DMV. I really don't want restored plates...I'd prefer some original weathered, dinged up plates, and I'm hoping not to pay more than $50 or so, even if that means that I have to go through the DMV approval process myself.

    I see a bunch for sale on egay and a few on craigslist, but have no idea what I will need for DMV approval. Can anyone tell me what numbering system I need to find for 1956 truck plates? And, if you have a resource or idea where to locate, that info as well. Thanks in advance.
  2. creepjohnny
    Joined: Dec 1, 2007
    Posts: 904


    56 CA truck plates are commercial. Most of them are like this;
    C 56 195
    A letter, then 2 number then 3 numbers. If you find a pair of plates that are DMV cleared, then you can register them with form 352. Print out the one page form online, fill it out, take your existing plates and your new 1956 plates to the DMV. Should cost you like $45 to swap em out.
    If you find plates at a swap meet you kinda have to take the guys word that they are clear. If you see them on eBay or online, write the number down and head to the AAA office and ask to see if they are clear. Tell them it's your old trucks license plate number otherwise they may not look them up for various reasons.
    PS. Commercial truck plates are tough to find for a low price. Keep your eyes peeled
  3. Buzznut
    Joined: May 9, 2008
    Posts: 2,349


    Thanks a bunch for the info. We need a good tech guide on here as a resource for this info...
  4. So the correct plates for my 60 f100 qould be the 56 cali plates and they have to be the commercial?

  5. I don't know how true this is ,but I was told you can use car plates as long as you don't haul anything in the bed. fact or fiction?
  6. 49ratfink
    Joined: Feb 8, 2004
    Posts: 18,691

    from California

    it would more likely be that you can register a truck as a non commercial vehicle... like my motorhome, it has standard "car" plates on it since it is not meant to haul anything even though it is a big ol' truck underneath..

    seems like I read somewhere that you can use car YOM plates on your truck even if it is registered as commercial. can't find the link now, but here is a good one from a guy on ebay with other information:

    the odds of finding a DMV clear pair of useable 1956 California plates for 50 bucks would be slim to none. I'd say expect to pay $100.00 at a minimum, probably over $200.00 for a nice pair.

    the plates must also be in good condition... with "good condition" being determined by the angry clerk behind the counter at the DMV.
  7. creepjohnny
    Joined: Dec 1, 2007
    Posts: 904


    Yes 56 ford custom. And have to have the correct sticker date on there. I've had
    Some friends try to register their cars with the 56 plate and of course the idiots at DMV don't know any better and sometimes won't do it cause it says 56, not 57-62. So it helps to have that sticker to educate them behind the counter and get what you stood in line for!
    And I've seen old trucks that have gotten away with regular plates, and if cops really wanna be a dick, they can site you for hauling stuff in the back, or whatever other regulations they require for commercial hauling. I've never known anyone who has gotten a ticket for that but that would be a crappy ticket to get over a license plate. Plus I think trucks are unique and should run correct plates to keep period correct. Just save up a few more bucks!
  8. 51504bat
    Joined: May 22, 2010
    Posts: 4,459


    I've got YOM plates on one of my 1940 1 1/2 tons and they aren't commercial. I paid the correct weight fees and the YOM fees and received the the stickers in the mail from Sacto. One other thing to remember - when you call the DMV 800 number to determine if the plates are "clear" they will tell you if the plate number is currently in use or not but that doesn't that when you go into the DMV sometime in the future that someone else hasn't made application for the same number sequence prior to your application. If you do find plates get them assigned to your vehicle ASAP or you may end up with expensive wall art.
  9. ponchopowered
    Joined: May 27, 2010
    Posts: 438


    this is true and rat fink is rite about it, but... i had a off topic chevy that had car plates on it, got pulled over and ticketed for having the spare tire for my trailer and a floor jack in the bed. had to go in and weigh it and get truck plates
  10. Catdaddyo
    Joined: Mar 9, 2005
    Posts: 136


    Got stopped once after taking the shell off my mini truck, with the shell on it was a "housecar"
  11. GassersGarage
    Joined: Jul 1, 2007
    Posts: 4,727


    It's true, I did Commercial Enforcement for a number of years. If you get caught, the fine was $50, 10 years ago, plus penalty assessment. BTW, penalty assessment used to be $3, but the state needed money so they raised it to $17.50 for every $10 of fine. :eek:
  12. I have been trying to find a real nice set with correct stickers but I have no idea where tongo. Guybon ebay wants $1600 for a restored pair. That is idiotic im sorry.
  13. $150-350 is pretty common for a decent pair

    That "Idiotic: guy on eBay is selling THREE perfect pair that have Never been on a vehicle and you get all three for $1600.00 - which is a little high, but not for brand new 1956 plates

    And for the guy wondering about 57-62 vehicles, you have to have the proper year sticker on the 56 plate Before you go to DMV

    One last thing, you can actually check if the number is available or not by using the personalized plate order system on line and plug in the number. It will tell you if the plate is in use or not.
  14. Fogger
    Joined: Aug 18, 2007
    Posts: 1,777


    Back in the '60 a buddy had a '53 Chevy 1/2 ton pu with a camper shell, not registered commercial. We pulled the shell off to carry front sheet metal for my '55 Gasser. CHP pulled us over and wrote him up for not having commercial registration. We got to Fletcher and Brown Racecars to install the front end after they installed the tube axle and headed north on the Long Beach Fry, same two CHP pulled us over again and started laughing. As I recall they told us to get off the freeway and "Don't let us see you two again", they were good guys and we took city streets back to Echo Park. So the law still stands don't carry anything in the bed unless you have commercial registration, or a shell.
  15. 59Apachegail
    Joined: Apr 30, 2011
    Posts: 1,501

    from New York

    DNY may be different but I got a really nice original set in great shape for 45 shipped. Time was on my side so I just kept watching the bay until I found a set I was willing to pay for. I was able to check the plates on the dmv site.
  16. I wasnt putting him down im just saying that price is. Its crazy.
  17. So they would have to start with a single letter then two numbers then the last set would be three numbers?
  18. Buzznut
    Joined: May 9, 2008
    Posts: 2,349


    $200 plus sounds like I may be keeping the white and blue plates that I currently have. I didn't think I'd have to budget for YOM plates...bummer.
  19. jazzfidelity
    Joined: Sep 19, 2011
    Posts: 371


    This website might help.. I'm a big fan of license plate culture, what year is your truck? try to determine what plate letter would have issued during the same year as your truck if possible.. like if it's a '56, you'll want a plate that begins with the letter A or B, etc.. It won't matter to the DMV but it's cooler and more correct imho.. the DMV only asks for clean decent plates and a correct year sticker.. with commercial plates it's also more likely they'll clear easier rather than standard plates, since the number/letter configuration is less likely to be currently used on another vehicle..
  20. 40mel
    Joined: May 24, 2006
    Posts: 77

    from SoCal

    For good info on YOM California plates go to and you can purchase plates.
  21. A little over $500.00 for a brand new set isn't really all that crazy. I know guys that have spent close to that for some pretty beat up plates. I guess it just depends on how bad a guy wants YOM plates. My latest set for the 37 I got lucky. A guy in New Hampshire had them and had no idea any one could actually use them. Got them for $85.00, But my 32 I paid $450.00
  22. I dont know about CA, but in AZ if I have a pair of plates that are "patina'd" and I know DMV wont clear them as is, but I dont want them restored, what I have done is order a personalized plate with that number, and keep the new ones under the seat (just in case) and run the old ones. Been stopped a few times, plates run, never had any issue.
  23. Now that is a steal!
  24. I didnt know you could have the same numbers on a another set of plates
  25. xrosczech
    Joined: Oct 28, 2012
    Posts: 97


    If you have a set of YOM plates that are dmv clear, order new custom plates with that number sequence for ex: [XXX 123], if they are clear you will get them and then just slap on the YOM plates, the number is legit and they are not going to question it on a older vehicle. You will have to pay extra annually for "personalized" plates though..
  26. Buzznut
    Joined: May 9, 2008
    Posts: 2,349


    Now THAT is a great idea.
  27. Why bother - If the are clear just run the YOM plates :confused:
  28. big creep
    Joined: Feb 5, 2008
    Posts: 2,945

    big creep

    you know the dmv is repo old plates, check the dmv site. i ordered mine already.
  29. Wish Id said it :cool:
  30. el Scotto
    Joined: Mar 3, 2004
    Posts: 4,688

    el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

    There's a place online that makes custom stamped vanity plates, Sam Strube posted the link once (I think!), they could custom make a plate with your existing numbers on it... ;)

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.