Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y Block Valve Cover Seepage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Dec 23, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

I am having problems with the Y block valve covers on my engine seeping oil- not gushing out, but there's always some outside on the flange. Is there a trick to these I'm not hip to? I'm using cork gaskets and a small amount of Permatex copper gasket maker.
    Thanks for any info. Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Official torque spec is 2.0 to 2.5 ft/lbs iirc though I can't ever remember using a torque wrench for this. Might try it though so you first get a feel for how tight that is. Not very. The common mistake with valve covers is reefing them down too tight. Then when they leak, reefing them down even farther, to try and stop them from leaking.

Cork gaskets work just fine and the valve covers can be removed and re-installed hundreds of times. My routine is that gasket is first sealed to valve cover with your favorite sealant. No sealants anywhere else are needed.

Whenever the valve covers are removed, say for adjusting valve lash, I coat the cork surface itself with fresh engine oil and letting it soak in while doing my thing. To re-install first cinch up both the nuts as tight as you can with your fingers. Then give 'em another 3/4 turn or so with a wrench, you can feel it when they start to snug. Wait a half hour, then give 'em another 1/4 or 1/2 turn. After a heat cycle or two, check for leaks, maaaybe a smidge more for good measure. The idea is to sneak up on it, letting the cork expand and do its job, without crushing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    mike bowling likes this.
  3. Thoroughly clean both valve cover and cylinder head mating surface, oil free. apply Indian Head Gasket Shellac when tacky apply it to the head flange then coat the other side and apply the valve cover when tacky. Tighten as Truck64 mentioned above.

mike bowling likes this.
  4. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've always followed the rule that these should be "snugged" down, not cranked on- I admit I may have gotten carried away not being familiar with covers with 2 studs instead of multiple bolts. Still learning at almost 70!

5. That is a good thing Sir. I was always told that if you quit learning then you are dead or may as well be. Keep learning new things every day.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

^^^^^^^^You got it, Kiddo! Still learning, building and having fun.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get rid of the tin ones and get some T-Birds.... Mine have never leaked with the gasket stuck to the cover.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

There you go..^^.. and those T-Bird covers are real pretty too!
    WarHorse, where do you get Indian Head shellac?

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

I appreciate the info. More??
    Happy Holidays to all!
    Mike

10. NAPA around here has it. Maybe Auto Zone but I never looked for it there.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^ Bought mine at O'REILLY's,
    even tho I said T-Birds, any cast aluminum covers will do. The studs need to be a little longer and usually come with new(repop) covers along with the acorn nuts.

12. Budget36

Budget36

I'll just add that to make sure the holes are not "dimpled down", and use those little load spreaders, or make some up.

mike bowling likes this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've got 2 sets of steel covers that are in good shape- those T-Bird covers are nice, but mucho dinero.
    I'll try it the old fashioned way again, maybe with the Indian Head stickum and see what happens.
    The stock covers must have worked- they made an awful lot of Y Block powered vehicles.