Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block to Early Ford Trans????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBR1844, May 24, 2010.

1. PBR1844

PBR1844

I have recently cracked my 51' 8 ba flathead block and
    started kicking around the idea of throwing y-block in my 41'... mostly because i can get into the motor CHEAP!! I believe its a 64' 292ci.? I am running a 39' Ford top loader tran's with torque tube.
    Anybody running a y-block to an early Ford trans
    Any advice about the swap would be great!
    Flywheel?Bellhousing?Etc?

2. Elrod

Elrod

I just found an adapter at a swap meet to put a 39 trans behind a Y-block. I'm not sure that I'll be using it. I was just searching the HAMB though for more info on if anyone has.

3. LjH

LjH

I am putting a 8BA in my 41 pickup. Suggest after you get the Y block adapted you get the Y flywheel re drilled for your current clutch. I tried to use the 8BA clutch and had to pull the engine and get the flywheel re drilled for the 9" clutch.

4. k9racer

k9racer

This bell housing is stock on a 54 truck with a 4 speed trans with the 8 bolt pattern.

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Help Mr Wizard... I'm running a 57 Y-black 312 and flywheel... what pressure plate do I need? and does the throwout bearing need to be drilled for the larger 39 Ford shaft like you do when yoy run SBC?

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Still having no luck

7. This should help. 10th line down is on the Y-block

Attached Files:

8. Just cllick on the photo once it's opened in the viewer, it will reopen in an application, when it opens, go up into the menu, select view and then zoom. If you go to 300%. It's legible.

There's lots of good engine transplant info there.

Allan

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I can't read the tech sheet for the adaptor... it appears to be late model Ford (which now is an antique to parts stores)... Ironically I had one but gave it away cause I thought I would just buy a new one with lighter action... go figure... I should be able to figure it out but it would be a lot easier if someone posted year & model Ford... thanks in advance for you help, Thom