Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-block to 223 I6 conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JohnnyGretsch, Jan 29, 2015.

1. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Hey fellas,
    I've been toying with the idea of putting a 6 into one of our other cars while I'm on my provisionary license. The most likely candidate will be our black '58 Ford Customline, which will become another mild custom. The only issue is the transmission. I read somewhere that you need a different bell housing for the 223 to fit the Fordomatic. The trouble there is the fact that Ford never sold the 223 in a car in Australia. My 223 is out of an imported F-100, and has a few go fast bits (Fenton dual carb and exhaust manifolds).

2. the flywheel from a Y block will fit a 223. All the fordomatics I ever seen attached to a six where solid aluminum with the bellhousing and trans case cast in one piece. You might fabricate a adapter plate out of 1/4 steel?

3. town sedan

town sedan

Your Fenton pieces are like hens teeth. I'm envious. I've had a 223 and Fordomatic in a 1961 Fairlane. You may not like it. The 223 and three speed stick were just okay in my 1960 Fairlane. Just something to think about. -Dave.

4. Rob68

Rob68

I can't wait to get rid of my 223 in my 58 F100. I have a 57 272 and 4 speed waiting to go in. From what I've learned so far and in my opinion, it's to much $$$ to try and make the 223 a better running engine. The y blocks are easier to get parts for (i.e non Load O Matic distributer and carbs. Although you already have the carbs and manifold.) Good luck whatever you do.

5. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I'd love to leave it as a Y-block, but I can't legally drive a V8. Maybe I should look into a later Falcon crossflow and C4 setup...

Hnstray likes this.
  6. khead47

khead47

Take out 2 or 4 pistons and rods until you can drive a V-8! ( just kidden')

7. That sucks. there is something wrong with a country where they have stupid asinine rules. here in the USA we can drive anything at any age wen we get our learners permit. When I was 15 my dad bought a new 66 ford with a 428. and I drove that and drag raced the crap out of it. we can own and shoot as many guns as we wish. Sell your car . Get a passport and take a plane to the USA. and stay here. you wont regret it. We don't care who comes here any more. illegals are not deported any longer. its a wide open country.

8. Rob68

Rob68

See if you can find a 300. They are great engines. Last forever.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

Wow, rules. Knew there was something I wasn't understanding. The 223 is not a bad engine, just don't think the Fordomatic is that great of transmission. The car would be a more enjoyable driver with a different transmission. If you were closer, I have an extra 223 stick shift bell house. That with an adapter and a T5 becomes a real nice combination. With other adapters the C4 and the AOD (pricy) become opitions. A later model cross flow headed six could be real interesting. So, my real question is..., How long till your able to V8? -Dave.

10. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Two years, Dave. I have a C4 floating around somewhere from my XB Falcon. I've looked into the adaptor kits, and the C4 one looks like something I could work towards.

11. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

It was all good until about 5 years ago, when the Liberal government came in and changed the laws. Apparently too many kids were getting killed driving high-powered vehicles. Their solution was to ban V8s outright. It seems stupid that my 6 pot Falcon is more powerful, and lots faster that the '58, but the Customline is banned.

12. town sedan

town sedan

Stupid V8 going around killing people! It still amazes me I survived my youth, driving six bangers. First two cars were a Dodge Dart with a 170 slant six then a Belair with a 250 and a power glide. What a slug, but after it got rolling look out! Good luck which ever way you go with this and let us all know. -Dave.