Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block + t5 to 49-54 pontiacs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclechop, Sep 20, 2008.

1. unclechop

unclechop

Any one done it?
    Any pics?
    Any other y block to whatever swaps?
    Y block to T5 info?

2. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

3. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

Yeah I don't think I would use that , unless you already have that trans.. What do you prefer stick or auto?

4. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

Check the parts for sale section , I just listed a ton of y-block stuff if you need some. I have a few trany's too .

5. I'm sure it would fit, but yours would probably be the first. Those era Pontiacs the clearance on the steering is real tight on a V8 engine, when Pontiac went to a V8 the left manifold actually dumped down the front of the block to make room. This because the chassis is pretty much the same 49-57 and the steering doesn't change much either.

I think the easiest late motor swap in one of these cars would be a Chevy 250 six, just because it eliminates the clearance issues. The next choice might be a Pontiac V8. Or you can run a GM 605 steering box and change the column to one with some U-joints and make yourself room for the exhaust.

It also depends on if your Pontiac is a US model or a Canada/export model. Those era Pontiacs could have the 119.5" Pontiac frame and Pontiac six, or the 115" Chevy frame and a Chevy six. Best way to tell without measuring is to look under the middle of the car, the Pontiac frame has a big sturdy X-crossmember like a convertible would have, the Chevy just a K-shaped crossmember under the trans with the legs pointing to the front of the car.

If your car is the export/Canada model, you can adapt a T5 to the stock motor as easy as an adapter plate and some machining, and a rearend swap to open drive.

6. unclechop

unclechop

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    My Sidevalve six has just recorded very low comp readings and has been hard to start sluggish etc.
    I could spend the dough on a rebuild or put in an era correct V8.
    Since Nailheads,rockets,316 ponchos and caddies are kinda rare in australia that and the fact I have a 3 carbed Y with truck sump in the shed made me think about it.
    6 cyl 239 cube - 110 hp 15mpg
    Y block -~200hp 15mpg
    Y block +5pd ~200hp 20mpg?
    I would rebuild the six before a 350 would go in the hole,
    Not because of hamb nay sayers but to me especialy true in australia the
    sbc is synonomous with bad taste,Mullets and billet doo dads,but each to
    their own.

Could using the elbow burning cross over pipe be usefull with steering clearances you mentioned Rustynewyorker?

7. unclechop

unclechop

The australian Pontiac is a ridgy didge pontiac not like the canadian versions it is a 28 series cheiftan open drive shaft 6.
    Ive swapped the pumpkin over to a more flathead friendly 3.63:1 from 4.11:1.
    Interestingly there were only 250 odd imported and sold through holden(gmh) dealerships in 1954.

8. unclechop

unclechop

9. unclechop

unclechop

10. Uncle,

Using a T-5 is fairly straightforward, but as they say, the devil is in the details.

First, it depends on what bellhousing you use. I'm guessing that you have a truck bell, because you said that it has a truck oil pan. Mtkawboy referred you to a web page up above...if you haven't looked at it yet, give it a glance because it's easier to understand all this with those pictures.

A conventional car bell can easily be adapted using the top plate adapter, with a Mustang T-5. He describes the necessary parts that you'll need; a lot of it is the same stuff used in the Y-powered cars (at least in the U.S.A. ones...dunno about Down Under. ) The T-Bird adapter is the same piece, except that the trans is slightly rotated, which may be unnecessary for you.

If you have a '54-'56 F-100 truck bell, there are two different types. One can be modded for a T-5; this is the light duty trans./med. duty trans/overdrive trans bell. It is shown at the bottom of that same web page. As you can see, it basically gets some upper bolt bosses brazed or welded to it and the bearing retainer hole gets modified.

The other truck bellhousing is for the heavy duty three speed/4-speed/5-speed transmissions. There is a picture of the back of this one in a thread I'll list below. (It's actually of a Lincoln/HD truck Y, but the trans side is the same.) There is no freakin' way to modify it for the T-5 to my knowledge. It CAN, however, be modded to accept Saginaw 3 & 4 speed transmissions of certain years.

A couple of other things: the truck bells '54-'64 all have the side mounts, which will make it harder to swap into any car....I'd try to find a car bell, myself. Also, '57 & later have hydraulic clutches...I don't remember if the trucks do all the way to the end of production, or if this applies to Oz trucks.

I believe GM & other versions of the T-5 have different lengths of input shafts...you're on your own there as I don't know much about them. The "master" T-5 thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169265

Finally, a couple of threads that offer some interesting reading for you. Some of it pertains to the Lincoln/HD truck Y, which isn't the same as the Ford Y block, but the trans info is the same. Just remember that the bells are not the same on the engine side, so you'll need the Ford version.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223521

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146956

Hope that helps a bit.

11. unclechop

unclechop

Thanks homespun,
    I have a car bellhousing and a truck version,
    And the gearbox is a holden/buick v6 version.
    Thanks for the links I will digest that to nignt(im at work at the moment!)

12. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Thanks guys. I need this info too!

13. 28chevrat

28chevrat

I am also using a Y block, with a C4 behind it in my Model A truck.

I was going to do the T-5 but due to limited space and budget I went the C4 route. I would highly recommend the Adapter kit for the y-block to C4 from flat o products, it was easy to install and everything fit.

14. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I'm in the process of adding a T5 behind my 239 as well as upgrading to open drive shaft and more friendly rear end (3.42). Trans and axle installed - waiting for driveshaft and brake components. So far its been a fairly easy conversion. And it is a Canadian Pontiac. I was getting 19 mpg with the stock 3 speed amd 3:91 gears so I hoping to improve with the newer setup.

PM me if you'd like more info.

15. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I am hoping that my truck bell is the one able to be modified. The mounting ears would make it so easy to mount in my frame....I want to put a T-5 behind it. 292 w 312 heads, nice cam, T-5 with 3.00 gears....zoom zoom...It should be a lot of fun.

16. I've got a Y-block to Chev 4spd bellhousing in the parts for sale section a this time. Take a look & PM me if interested.

Movin/on