Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block supercharger??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, Oct 4, 2007.

1. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

does anyone know of a company that made or still makes a supercharger for the ford y block? I found one company called McCulloh that made the vr57 which was a centrifigal style supercharger but from what i read i dont think they make them anymore and dont really know where to search to find a used one. i was just wondering if someone out there knows of a roots style blower for the 312 y block. i would think someone at somepoint made one. just curious thought it would look cool in the rpu that i am going to get around to one of these days

2. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

Centrifugal superchargers are still made. Paxton, Procharger, and Vortech still make them, although they don't really look like a McCullough.

[​IMG]

3. Here's a link to a recent thread that may be of some help....and it has a link to another thread that may also be of help.;) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208322

The Paxton is the direct descendant of the McCulloch blower; although Paxton Products has been sold several times over the years, the basic Paxton model is essentially the same old McCulloch, restyled, & with a different design for the internal drive.

Used OE Ford blower setups are insanely expensive & difficult to find in decent shape, but some of the various pieces are being re-popped, a normal Paxton can be adapted, & the BT intake can even be bought already modified to fit. :)

4. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

yea the McCulloh im sure is definatly cooler looking than the newer style but i guess theres no roots style blower. im going to run an open wheel and hoodless rpu so looks mean alot

5. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Cragar made a 471 blower kit for the Y-Block. They look great, but are very difficult to get ahold of and are very pricey.There's HAMBer running one on top of 292 in a black 33 or 34 Ford. Unfortunatley, I can't remember his name at the moment.

Also, do a search for blown y block. This topics seems to come up every month.

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Try uncommon engineering.com-send Steve an e-mail. He'll make a kit-drive, manifold, even a 6-71. Hold on to your wallet though.

7. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

unclescooby had a Latham Supercharger setup for a yblock that he sold to Lucky_1974 on here, talk about frickin sweet.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

not trying to be a dick but any roots style blower would work on your Y block, what you need to be looking for is a y block blower intake manifold for a 6-71 blower ~or whatever size you want~
    and then either find if the pulleys/drive are availible or have them made.

9. The two original Cragar intakes were for the 3-71 & the 4-71. To use a 6-71 will require a custom intake or a 6-71 sized flat plate on top of a 4-bbl. manifold. Once that's mocked up into place, & the correct pulleys are chosen, you then can determine the necessary snout/drive length....which can be gotten from any decent blower shop. Have the lower pulley drilled to your spec, mount the idler, choose the correct belt pitch/length, & you're done.....with THAT part of the whole deal.:)

A 6-71 would be overkill for most Ys, with the exception of possibly some of the 320+ inch strokers....a 4-71 would be more efficient here & probably heat the charge less.

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

blower........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BigChief

BigChief

Just drive the 671 slower. You'll build plenty of boost and won't heat the air as bad since your not spinning the bejeasus out of the blower.

-Bigchief.

12. fatabone

fatabone

Travis there is a McCulloch sitting on a table between the grandstand and the hill at Carlisle if your going. Wish I would have known this I sold two at Carlisle in the spring. They pop up on Ebay and can be bought at a reasonable price.