Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block Stalling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dullchrome, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I can not figure this out for the life of me. My Y Block (1963, 292 with stock 2 barrel carb) keeps stalling after any kind of run at highway speeds, as little as a couple of miles. Most of the time it will start back up after a couple of cranks and it is off and running again.
    I have installed new headers, glasspacks, wires, cap, rotor, petronix and fuel filter all with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

2. Try your fuel pump

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I wonder if the vent tube for your gas tank is plugged. Maybe some trash in the fuel tank outlet where it goes into the line. Carb float setting too low or too high?

It doesn't stall at all around town?

4. That could be it. I had the same plroblem a while back. Around town it was great but higher speeds and rpms it would bog real bad and die. It had a three speed, first and second was fine but thiird it had the problems. It was my fuel pump. I had the same issues with my 6 cyl.

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Na, around town it runs pretty good. Once you open it up a bit and then come to a stop it will fall over itself.

Were did you get your fuel pump from 56 ford custom ?

6. I got it from cw moss in orange If i remember right i think i payed a little under $60? You can also get them from napa. Where are you located? maybe i can help you figure it out. Also have you tried adjusting the carb? let it warm up then adjust the idle and the fuel mixture.

7. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I am in Costa Mesa. Any help would be appreciated, you can email me at rustypos @ yahoo . com

8. Ok cool, well let me see what i can do. I sold my daily a few weeks ago and dont have anything to drive haha. The car your working on isnt your daily is it?

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Is not my daily. I think I am going to put a fuel pump in it this week and see how that works. If that dosent do anything I will take you up on your offer to help 56 ford custom...thanks !

10. No problem at all. Just hit me up if you need help, i will find a way out there.