Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y Block rocker arm question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftiescat, Feb 27, 2015.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

anyone out there had their rocker arms rebuilt or bushed? I have a ton of ECG rockers and some are in great shape, others have tons of play on the shaft, but the valve tip contact point is fine. Would hate to consider these junk, and they weren't cheap... Thanks!

2. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your idea a lot, but the $35 a new rocker costs is less than what it would take to get an old rocker bushed, at least around here. Dressing the valve contact face and/or replacing the adjusting screw/ball on an otherwise good rocker, however, does make sense.

3. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I agree, that having someone else bush 16 rocker arms isn't very cost effective, but considering id just do it myself if the bushings were available, it seems viable. Even $35 a pop for non roller rockers (even 1.54) is still steep. New stuff just isn't as appealing to me. I'd rather fix things than replace them.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Rocker Arm Specialties, in California has done two sets for me. I have read that Schuman in Iowa will do them as well. Each is easy to find on Google. There are new 1.54 rockers available, but the threaded end was very tight. The self locking adjusters would not go in, so I used the older style screw and nut. That info makes all old worn rockers valuable.

fiftiescat likes this.

5. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Thank you very much for the info!

6. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I'd like to hear more of what your research comes up with?
    My experience is that most of what I've seen in old used rocker setups is that the shaft has taken most of the wear. Just sayin'. I know that you can buy them new as well.

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

Glad UPS/FedEx can get one out from under "around here" pricing - $35 each for a rocker arm is just crazy; that's $560 a set. RAS will bush the rockers and/or hard chrome the shaft and send them back looking and working like new for half that last I did a set.

Also, the last set of Harlan Sharp aluminum roller rockers was less than $560, but their prices go up all the time

jack vines

8. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

The shafts are usually pretty tired as well, but those are just a click away, and under $100. When you have 30+ rockers just sitting around, I'd rather just repair them and sell whatever leftovers to someone looking for Y parts. I've recently seen the HS aluminum rollers on one of Tims builds, but I'm not sure how available they are, and the price no doubly is sure to be steep. The only set of dove rollers I've seen in the last 3 years went for over $600 on eBay. The benefits of rollers are substantial, but seems overkill on a '54 sled.

9. BigChief

BigChief

I've had excellent results and great customer service with Rocker Arm Specialties. Y-block, Nailhead, Mopar, FE Fords....reground tips, bushed bores, cleaned up and fresh adjustment hardware installed. Its been a few years but I don't think the cost to have the ones for my 272 redone were anywhere close to 560 bucks.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Might be better to hone the rockers oversize on a Sunnen hone and use an oversize shaft. If you can get an oversize hard chrome shaft and use good oil they should last forever.

11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

FYI, Rocker Arm Specialties is now Rocker Arm Unlimited in Torrence CA.

BigChief likes this.
  12. the rockers on a H or M farmall have bronze bushings. I seen my dad take worn rockers and heat them up and apply brass. then he reamed them to fit. It think it was a minnapolis Moline engine.