Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltmilkman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ltmilkman

ltmilkman
    from sdaf

I know nothing about Y blocks, but there is a 292 Y block that came out of a pickup for sale that I'm considering buying, I have a 1956 Ford Customline that has a 223 6cyl and I'm wanting to just swap this 292 and my question is will it bolt right up to the 3 speed manual trans that is currently in the car? I wasnt sure since it came out of a truck if the transmission would be different and that it may not bolt up in the car.
    Thanks for any help.

2. jazzbum

jazzbum

should bolt physically. flywheel is sure to be different though.

3. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

You might post up in the 52-56 Ford Cars social group, I'm sure one of the guys there will know for sure. Plus, we'd love to follow your progress. :)

4. The bellhousing for trucks and cars are different. The trucks have an "ear" on each side that bolt to the crossmember which the cars dont. The cars mounton the trans.

5. yblock292

yblock292

X2 right

6. If I can remember right the 6 cyl and 8 cyl bell housings are the same?

7. Also look up: y-blocksforever.com

8. hotroddn56

hotroddn56
    from usa

It wont work...I just tried it last weekend...the bell housing is different...the bolt pattern on the top does not line up

9. hotroddn56

hotroddn56
    from usa

Also the oil pan is different. it will sit on the cross member and steering rods. I had to change out the oil pan yesterday to get it to sit down

10. Physically it will go but the bell is different. Get a V8 car bell and you'll be good. Flywheel is the same.

edit: yes, you will need a front sump car pan.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Didn't the Y block truck engines have a center front engine mount? Cars, as I recall, used side engine mounts.

4TTRUK

12. LostHope

LostHope

my 54 ford car use's the side and center front mount ,i think they ditched the center mount a couple years later on the ford cars....

13. The pickup bellhousing is a little bit longer than the car. I tried to put a car tranny on a 292 in a truck and the input shaft was to short.

Lee

14. 65COMET

65COMET

That center mount was called a 'Steady Rest',used well into the Y-block run.A lot of people just run without the center mount in engine swaps. ROY.