Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block question. Need some help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Nov 11, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

So here's the deal. A while back I decided to put a Y-block in my Model A. I'm finally getting off my ass and making it happen. One of the things I've run in to is the crank case vent/breather on the side of the block is in the way of how I want to mount the engine. The plan is to make some mounts that angle forward 30 to 45 degrees in order to give myself enough clearance to mount the steering in the stock location on the frame. What I was thinking of doing was removing this vent (picture attached), plugging the hole, and drilling a hole in the valley cover and running a hose to the eventual air filter in order to vent it. Need to know if that's a solid viable solution, or is there any other ways to do it that would work out better to vent the crank case. The engine has the nice original stamped Mercury valve covers that I would really rather not drill in to or cut up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I think any low pressure location would be fine.

3. That is a road draft tube, if you want to run a road draft tube there is no reason in the world why it wouldn't work just as well from the valley pan as it does from the bottom of the cran case. be sure and baffle it. You could also put a pcv valve in hte valley pan if you decided not to run a road draft tube. Again it needs to be baffled.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The early '60s Y-blocks did away with the side-mounted road draft vent and used a pcv system that ran from the rear valley cover to the intake manifold vacuum. You can find a later valley cover, or modify the early one, but a pcv system is a better way to vent the engine rather than just a tube into the air cleaner. And it's almost unseen! :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

5. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

^^^^^ what he said. Find a valley cover with a PVC port.

6. All the 55-57 Thunderbirds used a valley pan that was setup for a road draft tube.

Just get one from an old T Bird.

Oldmics

7. I also wanted to clean up the y block in my f100 and the motpr thats going in my 56 sedan. I didnt want a clutter or much being vissible. Running tbird valve covers so didnt want to.drill them out or have a hose going to the air cleaner. So I put had a guy on the yblock forum set me up with a later valley pan that was baffled and has a pcv. That has a hose going to a plate under the carb. Then I have a breather filler cap on the front of the valley pan on the filler. Put a block off plate where the road draft tube was originally. I think this is enough ventilation. I hope.

8. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thanks for all the help guys. There's not too many old thunderbirds hanging around my area. Are the valley pans on the early 60's trucks the same, or are those running the road draft tubes as well? If I have to wind up making a valley pan, what's a good way to make a baffle so i can run a PCV on it?

9. The early gos truck y blocks should have had the road draft tube on the valley pan aswell. unless it was set up with the pcv.