Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y block pros and cons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

On my 292 in my parklane, I cut a groove behind the center cam bearing in the block from the oil feed hole to the head feed holes to ensure the top end gets lubed I also plugged the drain tubes in the rockers to make full pressure oiling. I used the Berndt trans adapter kit for an aod .im running an edelbrock 553 tri power with 3 94 carbs and if I run 65 on center carb it gets 24 mpg with a 373 gear in rear

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg and warhorseracing like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Since I started this thread 10 years ago, I have owned 2 Y block powered cars. I love the reliability of them and as some have stated the starters suck. They are super heavy. Parts are expensive. The Y in my 55 is tired and needs overhaul, I will probably pull it and sit it in the corner for further contemplation.

My takeaway after owning a few of them is they seem to be a great motor for a lightweight hot rod, especially an open hood rod. They sound like no other.

With that said, I'm not sure they would be worth all of the hassles to stab in a 35-40 Ford. I have collected a Caddy 390 for my 36, which fits more like a SBC and doesn't require changing the oil pan configuration or any type of crossmember mods.

One thing I have found, is there is a cult following and those that love the Y blocks will never be swayed. That in itself is a good thing. If it is your preferred motor of choice then hats off to ya.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    oliver westlund likes this.
  3. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

In mine i had contemplated doing the 302 or a 4 valve modular since i have both but thought hell everyone's doing that .so went with the Y block and have been happy i did 20181116_145450.jpeg

oliver westlund and egads like this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Clean!! Very nice!

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Thank you very much

6. egads

egads

Y-block's are fun little critter's!! 043.jpg 044.jpg

7. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Yes they are and they confuse people, I had a guy ask if I had had the Thunderbird valve covers made to fit my chevy engine .when I told him it was a ford, not a Chevy and he said but the distributor is i. The back .i told him ford had it in the back on their first ohv engine but corrected it on the 332 and everything since

egads likes this.
  8. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Very nice bird you have there by the way

egads likes this.
  9. Great thread with good info