Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y-Block powered D/GR (Gas Roadster) for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Putting the final touches on the D/GR Y-Block powered roadster for this year. New engine with much more power plus a tad lower gear ration. Looking for the magic number this year. Please God give me traction. See you on the salt!
    20190523_171459.jpg 20190523_171512.jpg 20190523_171528.jpg 20190726_155031.jpg 20190720_124105.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 10 min run in, so far so good. 190* on the temp, No metal in the oil, rockers are still in adjustment. Both good things.
    20180630_165447.jpg 20180712_182943.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Good luck!!! That carburetor looks HUGE on a Y Block.

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sounds fine,but what is in cooling water? Love it,car looks awesome! I never tryed to get tire bit in salt,how tricky is that{tire psi an smooth power add ect? New air intake,I'm guessing do too higher carb/intake,looks less aero to me though an a bit inway of line site.?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

Best of luck to you Tim! Engine looks great. This is Dan from SoCal with the Y-Block powered Blue ‘32 Roadster.

loudbang, mctim64, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

bummer that the videos are apparently on Facebook, I can't see them. This is all I get.

media.jpg

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the best in your Assault on the Salt @mctim64...thanks for sharing this approaching milestone...;)

32Dan, chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Now that's a scoop! Good luck.

chryslerfan55, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the videos seem to work okay on my cellphone except the one at link on Post#19...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I always put soluble oil in my water. I guess it's a machinist thing. Sure keeps the water jackets clean. Must be good for the pump.

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good Sir.Wishing you the best for a safe and fun new season.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe,
    Leo

12. Soluble oil in the water. Traction is hard and yes, bring the power up slowly.

13. Sorry, that's the only way I have to share it.

Stogy, USMercUte and dana barlow like this.
  14. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

good luck on the salt.

Stogy and mctim64 like this.
  15. Will stop by and say Hi.:cool: JW

Stogy, mctim64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Well, another Speed Week has come and gone. Sorry to say it was not the best conditions on the salt. When we headed out there was expectations of 200 mph but almost as soon as we had our pits set up on Thursday a big storm hit and messed everything up. At first they said racing was postponed till Sunday but then it was Monday and then Tuesday. At that point we were thinking at least we can make 175 in the 2 1/4 for a long coarse qualification and a "B" license but after waiting all morning and into the afternoon it was apparent that the coarse although open was going to be a challenge just to get to the end without spinning. Even "Speed Demon" could only manage 332 mph. The long course was closed about 2:30 on Tuesday afternoon after a bike went down and it was finally decided to move the course over and resume racing on Wednesday morning. They did have a "Rookie" course open and we had considered running on that one but at only one mile long there wasn't enough to do what we wanted to do. We did however go over there to watch a few runs and at least the had a good surface, though about it again but we had a good place in line for Wed. on the long course and I didn't want to loose it.

Wednesday morning came and we were ready again, about 25 cars/bikes back but the line was moving. Being pitted with the "Rolling Bones" I was very interested to see how Keith Cornell was going to do in his new C/AIR roadster. He was ahead of us so I hung out at the starting line to watch. When he left the line his big MEL engine was sounding in very good tune and we all hoped to hear big numbers. Down range you could hear he was "pedaling" it as the coarse was very mushy in spots. End result was 161 at the 2 1/4, a broken pinion and 102 out the 3 mile. End of Speed Week for the Boners.

I was hearing nothing but bad reports about this coarse and the thought to just pull out and save the car and myself for the next meet was on my mind but I had come this far, waited this long and spent a large sum of dollars so I wasn't going to quit now. New goal, just get down the coarse in one piece and get a little brass tag with my speed stamped in it for my $560 entrance fee.

Finally I'm up to the line. Surprisingly calm I'm ready to make the old Y-Block do it's thing. The starter clears me for the coarse and Gary and Keven give the camper laden F-250 everything to push me to 45 mph. The moment I feel the truck let go of me I release the clutch and the roadster took off like a rocket, very surprising for the track conditions, I felt the rear move a bit but stayed in it. The car accelerated well but you could feel the track give way many times. It was all I could do to keep the car straight, very little movement on the wheel and just lift a little when I felt the rear try to come around. As I saw the 2 mile marker approaching I made sure I went through as fast as I could, time slip shows 152 at the two and 163 at the two and a quarter. Right after passing the 2 1/4 mark I felt the rear make a big adjustment to the right so I backed way of the gas, it straightened out, I got back into it and saw a coarse marker come by the right side of the car a lot closer than I like to see. Back on the gas I see the 3 mile coming up and I'm still pointed in the right direction. Just a little bit farther. Big orange three goes by, pop the chute and make a gradual turn around to the left, coast to the return road, apply a small amount of brake and I stop right in front of our pits. Success! I catch my breath and fell pretty good that I made it all the way pointing in the right direction. As I unbuckle and climb out of the tight seat I see Ted Eaton running over from the "Bones" pit to see how I did. Wild ride but I made it.

End result was 163.950 through the two and a quarter and 160.268 at the three. I waited all week to make one pass, now I'm satisfied and it's time to go home. Worth it all? The work all year, the money spent on a new engine, the frustrating wait to get one run in? I don't know but I will be back next year to try it again. That's "Salt Fever".

20190805_164708.jpg 20190808_102133.jpg 20190808_132021.jpg
    The storm hits.
    IMG_20190808_170933_124.jpg A__26EE.jpg imagejpeg_0(55).jpg imagejpeg_1(18).jpg imagejpeg_0(58).jpg IMG_0897(1).jpg IMG_0895.jpg
    Keith and his new American Iron Roadster (AIR)
    20190813_140508.jpg 20190814_090610.jpg 20190814_090814.jpg 20190814_115237.jpg 20190814_114950.jpg

20190814_122657.jpg 20190814_122801.jpg 20190815_074433.jpg 20190815_074439.jpg

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on getting some successful run time in and at least tasting a bit of what you went there for. Hotrod looks and sounds great. Man that's looks snug in there...thanks for sharing the adventure @mctim64...;)

loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  18. Stogy, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  19. Description of your drive was good. Gives us feel of what's going on. Getting at least a run in, helps "tick all the boxes" for the trip.

mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Mother Nature do have a way on throwing a monkey wrench in the gear box,don`t she?Well there is always next year.Like the videos.Thanks for posting.Onward and upward till next year.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Stogy, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for the report Tim, and all the pics/video. Very cool story!

collector, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  22. Getting ready for another trip to the salt, yes it is happening, nothing new for this year since we never really got to use last year's combo to it's full potential. First goal is 175 at the 2 1/4 then on to the 200 mark. Wish me luck! Hope to see some of you all out there. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna have new T-shirts too!
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Jet96, El Hueso and 1 other person like this.
  23. Have fun man, I am hanging close to home this year. Just came down to having much stuff to do at the ranch.

mctim64 likes this.
  24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Dang -wish I was going back down there this year, but I'm involved with a wedding (not mine hehe) I'd like to see you run.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    mctim64 likes this.
  25. Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@mctim64 I understand you met with misfortune at the salt...

I am sorry about that but very happy you are okay...at that speed this could have been quite nasty...

Going fast is exhilarating but there are risks always...

The Engineering and of course your expertise and a bit of Ole Lucky Lady were on your side thankfully...I extend congratulations regardless as you Hambers are Winners in my books just in Hotrod Spirit alone...

I suspect despite the anomaly it looks as if your Attained speeds were right on target and perhaps even better than...Thanks always for your sharing your journey in Land Speed...perhaps I've jumped the gun a bit here but I certainly look forward to your thoughts on the Week like no other...if you repaired things and are still racing I apologize for counting you out when you weren't...;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Blue One and mctim64 like this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Great video
    Great looking and sounding car
    Good luck with your goals.

mctim64 likes this.