Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block plug wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryangobie, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

Working on my girl friends 55 ford with a 272. Bought a new set of plug wires down with me (she lives 2.5 hours away) and they must be about a foot too short. Tried going to the autozone cause they're open sundays and they had a set listed and in stock which were also wayyy too short. Does anyone have a part number on these? There is a NAPA around here. Or will I have to get some "cut to fit" kinda jobs. I have minimal minimal tools down here so the easier it is the better hah!

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Just get some cut to fit ones if you can't get them figured out. If you're routing them like they were from the factory, they are way long, because they go under the exhaust manifolds. If you route them over the valve covers, all your driver's side wires need to be the longest ones, and the pass side wires need to be the shorties.

With your "kit" get as many on as possible, then take the remaining wires that won't reach to autozone or wherever you got the kit, and tell them they didn't reach...and maybe they'll just swap them for some longer wires out of another kit for free.

3. 429 or 460 wire kits work fairly well...pick a year between '68 & '73, for point-style ignitions. You should be able to use the original routing if you like, or go over the covers & use looms.

4. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

rad, thanks. this thing is pretty much bone stock and we're just getting it to run to sell so i'd like to route it like stock.