Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block into a 49 F1. Anybody done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thendrix, Jul 13, 2011.

1. thendrix

thendrix

Looking at buying a 55 Mercury Y block for my 49. How easy is it to put a Y block in a 49 F1? Anybody got pics or articles on this swap?

What else do I need to grab from the donor?

My plan is to run a 66 toploader if this has any bearing on the subject.

2. thendrix

thendrix

Bump for the night time crowd. Surely someone else has done this

3. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I think would grab anything to do with the motor &trans.Get the parts,maby take the front clip off for easier access , yank out the old and see what it takes. Thats where I would start,good luck and I will be watchin as I'm thinking about the same swap.... Rob

4. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

my buddys had a Y block in it when he got it. That thing was so cool but he pulled it out when he blew it up and put a small block in it.

5. k9racer

k9racer

the last time I did this swap was in 1965. You have several options. You mentioned t 10. But if you have the trans with 8 bolts you can find a Y block truck that came with the old work horse 4 speed. Use this bell housing and original trans. If not the following fine another Y block truck with the V 8 ..4 bolt pattern trans truck. these will use your rear cross member mount. Up front you have other choices fab some side mounts or use the truck front of the engine mount. This is on the front of the block just below the water pump.. Finding these parts will not be easy. Check around and find some one with a Y block truck that is converting to later power plant most of the time you can get your doner parts free are very cheap. Any custom muffler shop can build you a dual system. convert to 12 volts. The reason I did not use this engine in trucks after 65 was that was Y blocks are expensive and parts are hard to find and because many other power plants were avaiable at cheap prices. Trucks are great for engine swaps because they have a lot of room.. If I did a conversion today I would go 302/351 Ford or a small block chevy.I hope this helps.. Bobby..