Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block into `35- `40 Fords ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Well a totally speculative question I know, but have any of you done a Y- Block into early Ford swap? I need advice and pics if you have them. What about front covers and dress, exhaust clearance, etc. Also did you use the early Ford trans or go with something else? I'm curious for a reason and I have a purpose. Does a Ford powered by an actual vintage Ford overhead hold any novelty for anyone? I once saw a `47 Ford with a `59 352 put in like the factory did it and it was very cool.

There are quite possibly some interesting developments in the Ford Y- Block world coming soon and I wonder if there is a market for swaps like this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ole don

Ole don

When in High School I drove a 47 Ford sedan powered by a 56 Merc 312. It used a Speed Gems adaptor to the stock driveline, and store bought mounts for the front. The motor fits in well, a small window in the firewall needs to be cut for the dizzy. The exhaust was not a problem. This in 1959. It was a fun ride, the really hot cars of the day were Oldsmobile, I ate them for breakfast.

3. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Kewl!!!

4. The most common method seems to be obtaining one of the old Hurst motor mounts, which pop up on the Bay from time to time...&, use an adapter as mentioned, or, switch to a different transmission. :)

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I bought my '32 Ford it had a Y block in it. The guy had cut the tubular crossmember with motor mounts from the doner car and welded it into the '32 frame. He had an adapter to a '39 Ford transmission. I gave him $75 for the 5 window with out the motor and trans. Oh yeah, this happened in early 1965.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

what the hell...... bump!

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Back in 1963 I had a '36 Plymouth coupe (I know it's not a '35 to '40 ford) with a 292 Y-Block and a beefed up Mer-o-matic 4/11 possi rear. For the life of me I can't remember how it was all done but that old car would cook.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

A friend of mine has one in a 36. It was originally built in the late 50s and I'm almost positive it uses a Hurst mount. If you want his contact info, I can give it to ya. Send me a PM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. I have a couple addapters for the trans, one cast iron, one aluminum (OFFY), they pop up all the time on Ebay.

10. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Chris I like your `41. I have a `41 as well. I think a factory looking Thunderbird Y-8 would look and work so cool in one of these fat Fords. I'll bet a Y would go in a `41 and later Ford without any cutting, especially if hooked to the original driveline.

A point of trivia was that Ford themselves offered many a Y- Block repower kit for their heavier truck applications. The Lincoln style Y's were often retrofitted to earlier heavy trucks in place of the 239 and 337 Flatty's.

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

12. I actually have a 312 I'm putting in my 39 coupe. My 41 still has the flatty

13. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Chris you gotta keep me posted on that OK?

14. couverkid

couverkid

my dad had a 1940 ford coupe a couple years ago he sold at goodguys puyallup that had a y block hooked to 39 trans. The firewall was recessed a little. A friend of ours Bill Ross put one in has 40 coupe he built and did not recess the firewall but he used a C-4 trans so he could move the motor and trans in the frame. I am putting a 312 in my 40 coupe this winter also. Tired of the flathead want something with more power and reliability. I have some old speed parts and dress up stuff. By the way ram horn manifolds fit nice with this set up.

15. upzndownz

upzndownz

back in the early 60's we put a57/ 312 with hurst mount and 39tranny into a 39pickup up was easyer to do with an earlier model front timing cover if i remember right still had to trim the front mount tho and we had to notch the firewall about 3inches

16. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

You might try TD Performance ( the old Trans-Dapt ) --- they still offer some of the older style kits. I think the website is TDPerformance.com

17. 39Tudor

39Tudor

My father has a 39 Ford Deluxe Coupe. He is running a '57 312 with a C-4 Automatic. The 312 was installed back in 1967 using home fabbed motor mounts and crossmember. He switched out the Ford-O-Matic transmission 2 years ago for a small bellhousing C-4. He made is own adapter kit for that swap.

He is currently running ram horn exhaust.

He did not recess the firewall but had to build a new transmission tunnel. Clearance to the firewall is so close that he cannot run the aluminum T-bird valve covers because they interfere with the firewall. He is running chrome Mr. Gasket tin cover for clearance. PM me if you need me to contact my father for specifics.

Good luck with your swap.

JO

18. I'm putting a 57 312 into my '39 also. I've got a hurst mount and offenhauser adapter to use a 40 tranny. To use the Hurst mount you need to use a truck/T-bird timing cover that has full length bosses. You also need to use a stepped oil pan to clear the steering. I'm hoping the truck pan I've got will work. If you're interested I've got a Hot Rod Annual from 1958 that has a great spreadsheet that shows all the "bits and pieces" required for the various engine transplants into various cars using popular adapters and mounts of the day.
    I'll be doing the mock-up this winter and maybe a tech would be worthwhile.

19. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

hERES A LINK TO SOME COOL STUFF FOR Y BLOCK. i HAVE A 53 FORD I AM PUTTING A 292 IN. GONNA TRI POWER IT.. THERES ALOT OF COOL STUFF FOR THESE MOTORS. REDS-HEADERS.COM

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

21. A few years ago I bought a Y-block stick aluminum bellhousing that converted to a chevy 4 speed.

Just this week i finally go another Y-block. Good thing i did'nt let the BellHousing go with the 312 E motor.

Look in Hemmings under speed-racing parts. I bought mine (new) from a shop in New Jersey. They are still out there.

Also one of the alliance vendors does sell adapter Bell housings for Y-blocks. Saw them on a Y-block search I did a couple of weeks ago.

22. uh, [​IMG]

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This swap was covered with lots of detail, including accessory brackets, pan clearance, and so on in two places that I know of.
    R&C did a three part article (Y to '40 pickup) right at the time they changed from little to big format, '61 I think, and HRM coverd Y into a '40 in about 1956.
    Both articles offer excellent detail on the little problem areas.

24. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Thanks everyone, I'm looking into all these leads. Here are a couple pics of a badazz 10-sec Y in a T-Bird just for fun.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. This is the info from the 1958 Hot Rod Annual:

Engine: Ford and Mercury 54-57 OHV V8

Transmission: Ford 32-48, Merc 39-50, Lincoln Zephyr and Continental 37-48

Flywheel: Stock Ford

Clutch/Pressure Plate: Stock Late Ford

Clutch Disc: Ford with right diameter and spline size

Special Comments: Pick-up truck or T-Bird pan, oil pump are needed for tie rod clearance.

As stated previously, a truck or T-bird timing cover is needed to use the hurst mount.

I just remembered I've got a scanned copy of the installation instructions. I've attached that.

Attached Files:

Fairlane500 likes this.