Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block intermentant miss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsonmand, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Just lately my Y block has developed an intermentant miss still has points otherwise runs good any sugestions where to start has had new plugs and points not to long ago starts ok just gets a miss occasionally

2. mechanic58

mechanic58

Welp - I'd start with my timing light. I'd check each wire while the engine was running until I found the one that was exhibiting the miss. You might also find that they are all exhibiting a miss, intermittently. If that's the case, then I'd look closely at the points. If you find just one that's missing, then check/replace that plug/wire, etc. You might also consider mechanical - like compression and valve adjustment, etc. I'd start with the timing light first though.

3. Ole don

Ole don

Its a real monster job to change plug wires on a Y block and do it right. Big fellows may have to have help from a dude with small hands. They really should go back in the stock wire holders, behind and under the head and exhaust. New rubbers are available at a very reasonable cost.

4. parklane

parklane

Cross-firing?

5. The OEM plug wires on the early Y-blocks were solid-core and almost never went bad. You could get loose connections (usually easily fixed), but they didn't fail like the carbon-core wires do. If you think the insulation is bad, check them at night; if you get a light show, time for new wires.

And they are a bitch to replace.....

6. thanks for all the replies you have given me some good advice thanks