Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-block in 51 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyv, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv

Anyone running a Y-block in their 51 Merc? Any pictures? How does it fit? I have the flathead that came out of it and a Y-block with tripower. I want to put the flathead in my 31 coupe and the Y in the Merc. Will the stock driveshaft work with the Y-block and a 3 speed?

2. jimmyv

jimmyv

Forgot to add the Y-block is a early 60's truck 292/3 speed.

3. jimmyv

jimmyv

Someone has got to be running a Y-block in a 51 Merc. Anyone???

4. I think your the First to try it Have Fun I think you should put the <br> Y block in the 32 and keep the Flat-head in the Merc.

5. jimmyv

jimmyv

It's a 31 and I like the look of a dressed out flathead with no hood so I really want to put the flathead in the coupe. Someone has got to have a Y-block in a late 40's/early 50's Merc......................

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Back when Y blocks were coming new in Fords, my friend Andy Anderson put a 292 in his '53 Merc. He cut the crossmember out of the doner car and welded it into his '53 frame. Don't remember what was the trans decision, but when he was done it looked factory.

7. teddyp

teddyp

there was a 51 merc running around jersery for along time the guys name was steve he had a shop in the late 80,s called the merc shop i know he,s still around he was at lead east last year with a green 4 door for sale

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yaeh Ted!The Blu Angel was a nice car!Steve Balog was a cool guy and him and his son stil deal in Mec parts.If anyone needs the #p.m. me!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the 51 trans has the standard Ford 4 bolt pattern on the front of it instead of the earlier style you should be able to leave the trans where it is and bolt the Y block to it if you have the right T block bell housing. I think the issue is the pan clearing the cross member and steering. You would want a set of factory dual exhaust Y block manifolds too.

But those Y blocks look pretty nice dressed up and hanging out in the wind in a roadster too.

10. I havent done it......yet. But I have a 368 Lincoln Y-block out of a 57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser to put in my 51 coupe. I just want to find an adapter to couple it to the original 3sp OD.

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Steve also had a 51 doupe that was done in 60 with a y block in it.The car lloked just like Blue ANGEL.

12. jimmyv

jimmyv

The Y-block already has a 3 speed behind it. The Merc had a 3 speed OD tranny in it. Would that work with the Y-Block?

OK so anyone have any pics of Model A coupes running Y-blocks? What if I am running a 37 or 38 banjo rearend. I can convert it to open drive. Would that be ok with the Y-block and truck 3 speed? How would a Y-block work in a Model A frame with stock front crossmember? Anyone make headers or lake pipes that would fit the 31 coupe with a Y-block?