Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-block ignition question ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Jan 5, 2013.

?
  1. No - It wont Fit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - It will fit but It won't help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes - It will work and work good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Why not ? It's gonna be 30 bucks or less just try it

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have a 62 or so y-block distributor out of a pick up. It's in a 292 that is in my f-600 . It have a bit of a cam , the high ratio rockers - a 4bbl intake and an autolite 4100 . I really want dual points... I dont want to use my mallory yc though ( it has a higher calling ) . TOnight I completely removed the breaker plate of the y-block dizzy and a 67 289 dizzy . they look identical. i even installed the 67 plate in the 62 dizzy it fit perfect. I knew it was going to be the same points, condenser rotor ect...
    Here's the question ... Can I use one of the dual point conversion plates sold by all the mustang part sellers? I think it should drop right in. It's cheap ( 25 bucks or so ) BUT it has no provisions for the vaccume advance . Is this a dumb idea? The mallory doesnt have a vac advance but I assume it has a better advance curve to it. ( I know a 292 in a big truck will work ok without an advance - I had a 62 that didn't have a vac adavnce, just some weird governer i assume )
    It seems real simple ... swap out the breaker plate... set point gap ... check timing ...

Anyone tried it?

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Bump for the morning crowd

3. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

The dual point plate can be used in your distributor and it will run well. If you set the curve up right you will not miss the vacuum advance. It will require a spacer under the breaker plate which comes with the kit. If not a piece of 1/8 welding rod curled into a circle will work. The 289 distributor will not fit in a Y-block. The top half of the housing is the same, but the shaft lenght and drive gear are different.

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Thank you. I didn't think the 289 dizzy would work. Glad to know the breaker plate will though!