Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Jan 6, 2010.

1. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

So I've got this sweet ol y block. WHO KNOWS WHICH Y IT IS? I've got several different numbers, and none have really been that conclusive.

I've got a number off the manifold that reads ECG 9425B. Now, Y-block.com tells me those numbers match up with a 272.

I've got CEBY 6058 on the back of the block by the distributor. Don't know what those numbers mean. No one else does either- yet.... he he he. Go you hambers go! I'm sure there's about 800 of you who do.

And lastly, LMC says that according to my VIN number, which is F35V5R it's a F350, the V means it's a 239 CI V8, the 5 means it's from 1955, and the R means that it was assembled in Richmond VA. But I don't even think they made a Y in a 239 displacement.

Help.

2. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I didn't think the 239 was still available in '55. Might be a 256. My book doesn't show anything like CEBY or 6058.

3. Tank

Tank

Well, I wouldnt go by the manifold #. Its probably been swapped out a time or 2. Not sure about your #s on the back... Your 239 question. Im pretty positive the early Ford Y-blocks were 239ci. As to what its out of....

4. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

239 Y's are only '54 vintage for cars - other displacements may have been used for trucks as well as Lincolns. All Y's look nearly alike except for the small external parts specific for trucks, full size cars, or Thunderbirds. The 239 Dizzy has a tang on the shaft end not a recessed hex. Best way to ID a Y is by the crankshaft numbers and shape of the flange end, but even that isn't 100% with the machining that could be done. Lots of info on the net about Y's - seem to becoming more popular and with enough $ can be built to make serious HP. Later 292 truck motors had a stronger forged steel crank.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

5. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm thinking about rebuilding mine and adding a blower... :)

6. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Go for it! Vintage McCulloch (aftermarket in the day) or Paxton (original for Ford) supercharger parts are still available or fabbing something new would work too. Just hope you have $$ to finish this project.

7. From Ford Y-block.com: "...CEBY 256-272 cu in Cast in Canada. Export block. Used in Canada, Australia, South Africa..."

Here's the link: http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block identification.htm

239s were the Y's used in '54 cars, and I think some were in '55 pickups.

8. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

PERFECT! I know that I ran accross that page somewhere before, but hadn't saved it. Thanks a bunch. Now, I just need to start saving my pennies for the rebuild.

9. socalkenny

socalkenny

The # that identify what it is are on the left side of the block behind the exhaust manifold. You can see them pretty good by looking up from underneath. Google "Y-block forever", or Mumert "they have identification information.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the trucks got the 239 in 55,it seems the trucks never got the bigger motors untill a year or so later. 59 was the first year for the 292 in trucks and no 312 was ever installed in a truck from the factory from what I was told.

11. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

If you are going to rebuild for performance forget the 239 .. Besides being short on cubes it has a different cam bearing and tiny port heads compared to the other Y blocks. There are tons of 292s around.. start with one of those. By the way 239s were common in 55 f100-350 If you insist on using the 239 go to yblocksforever.com and look up pintoplumber. He is running a 239 with 3 deuces in his f-100. drag races it too.

12. scummy13

scummy13

My '54 panel truck came with a239 "Power King" Y block. 54 was the first year it was made and the switch from the flat head.

13. Paul2748

Paul2748

Trucks used the 239 in 55, at least for part of the year.

14. Paul2748

Paul2748

The intake is a 57 or later ("B" suffix). Engine is probably at least a 272. What numbers on the heads? The "B" intake only fits (good) the 272 and up heads.

15. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Here's the pics from off the back of the block beside the distributor. They read CEBY 60158 of 6015B. The manifold numbers are already listed above, but here they are again. ECG 9425B. I did notice numbers on the heads but totally dismissed them. I'll grab them off the heads tonight and post them. Thanks for your guys help thus far.

Attached Files:

16. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

The numbers off the heads are C1TE. According to y block it's a 292 head:

http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

I think that means it's a 292. I think someone posted earlier that the manifold is off of a 292 as well. Which meshes with the story that the owner told me. What'd ya'll think? Pull the heads and measure the bore and stroke? Easy answer huh?

17. the 6015 is just the ford suffix for an engine block . The prefix should be able to be broken down on one of the sites suggested above.

p.s. have you fitted an IFS yet ? lol

18. Well obviously it's not stock. If the reference info listed below is accurate, the CEBY indicates Canadian/export 272 block, ECG on the intake likely means it's a 2bbl manifold (ECG usually means 272 but I've seen them on 292s as well - I have one off a 272). The "B" suffix for manifolds is - I think - referring to the 4bbl variant - ECZ-9425-A is the early small spread 4bbl used up to '56 (I've got 2 or 3 of 'em). The ECZ-B 4bbl manifolds are the big spread version, and takes the later carbs (I have one on my 292, with a later Ford 4100 series 4bbl carb off a '63 390/406). The ECZ-Bs came on '57 & up Ys with 4 bbl carbs and is the preferred production intake for most. Several aftermarket manifolds are available for Yblocks too. The C1TE heads are later (prefix C1T equates to 61 Truck), I think they have small valves and were widely used to replace earlier production heads.

Ford and rebuilders did a lot of criss-crossing of parts on many of the Yblocks because they could. With some exceptions noted in earlier posts, 272, 292 and 312 stuff was widely interchaged - both by rebuilders and DIYers.

19. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Can I use 312 heads on the block that I have?

I'm looking for ECG-G 312 heads from off a Thunderbird right?

20. Bigjake

Bigjake

The best heads are ECZ-G which are big port and small chamber heads. They came on more than just Thunderbirds so if you have an older salvage yard nearby keep an eye out for old wagons and full size fords/mercurys and you can find a set of these heads fairly easy.

21. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

What's a fair price for a set of used heads for the Y? especially the ECZ-G heads?

22. Bigjake

Bigjake

I'd honestly look into pulling a set they aren't all that uncommon in salvage yards. On ebay most I see are 200$+ for the G heads. You might also check out http://www.ford-y-block.com/ John Mummerts site he has a lot of good info about casting numbers and what parts to look for.