Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block Hoarders Identify yourselves !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 11, 2012.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Cool stashs dudes. Those big M Merc valve covers are off the hook. My bro 2nd Chance just hooked me up with a set of M. T. finned covers for the 302 going in Rusty the Ranch Wagon. Never met a y-block I didn't like. ~sololobo~

2. I'm trying not to hoard, I have a 292 builder for sale.,,,,,:D

3. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

You nailed the reason I sold my second stash, was pondering the implications of a fresh build, Mummert told me to use a 292 block as 312s like to crack the main web. Any how, looking at the "stock rods" and size of the bores, AND the fact the engines parentage from a flatty was pretty apparent, decided this wasn't for me. Too many years of Rat motors ruined Y's for me.

4. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Between me and my dad we have pretty good stash of parts. We have a couple of 3x2 intakes and a marine intake, but this Algon fuel injection unit is probably my favorite thing in our stash.

Kennedy

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  5. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Personally, I just dont get it. I'm not sure why, but the Y has just never done anything for me. A non-rodder friend of mine has a CLEAN 62 Galaxy 500XL convertible with a Y block from Arizona. We've spent more time wrenching on that slug than cruising it . Slow as molases..
    I think this experience tainited me. Anyone have a video of a Y powered rod hauling ass? That might change my mind...

Deuces likes this.
  6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Ive got one video from this last year at Maxton of a 55 ford with a built Y-block. he was pushing close to 150mph. not bad whenyou consider the weight of the car and the fact that its about as aerodynamic as a barn door.
    Ill try to get it uploaded in the next day or so..

And one more thing. A built Y-block sounds killer!!

7. easyissy

easyissy

8. Y's are kinda limited in the power they can make, but like I said, they ARE the best sounding, perfect for an old lead sled cruiser.

If you want to make some good power, swap over to an FE. (which a cammed one is the second best sounding IMO)

If you want a giant after market, and what everyone else has, get a SBC.

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

just a small stash going for me, a 312 and a 292. The 312 is complete, the 292 is just a short block. Ive got a weiand 3x2 intake and a few other random parts, but always looking. I will end up putting the 312 crank and rods into the 292 which will go into my model A pick-up project when I finally get that going. I really want to run an edelbrock 2x4 intake on that motor down the road.

10. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

My god! The sound of that thing! My opinion is swaying...

Your converse are not shop shoes. Buy boots.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, what you have there is a compulsive personality disorder...:eek::p

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Those are nice!:D;)

I have some Y stuff... I wouldn't call myself a hoarder or anything.

272 in my '34 5w...
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x324AkX4ld4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

296CI going into my '57 ranchero...
    [​IMG]

13. mctim64 , I spy a lincoln/heavy truck Y on that trailer !

.edit , a second look reveals there may be two !

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sent you a PM Tim, we need to talk about an engine build for my 26 RPU :D Again ;) , but this time I'm hoping we can make it happen :)

15. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Saw this setup at Turlock for sale & wish I had a Y block to put it on.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Does a complete Hilborn F.I. unit along with a Vertex Magneto and Hilborn pump drive count ? According to records only 127 units made.

[​IMG]

17. I got these stashed away with the tri-power manifold to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a very early set of Sandy Belond headers:

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Love the way this thread is going. :) Some amazing stuff getting shown and that 150 mph coupe sounds mean.

Y blocks just have that sound all their own. My first Y block love was a 55 Ford 2 door post sedan with a 292 and glasspacks.

Sounded sweeter than any SBC in a 55 chev ever did. And I know, years later I owned a 55 with a 327. :)

Keep it coming guys !

19. How's this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aid7TnQRy0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NC8H4_eo8Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/28gtzOJdHqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Good eye! I was going to build one for my Model A and have a "Hot Rod Lincoln" but I decided it was easier to go with the Ford Y as I have the parts to make 'em run! ;):D

21. Yeah , I can follow your theory . Speed parts for the big Lincoln/heavy truck Y are hard to find and when you do a 2nd mortgage is the norm it seems . I'd like a set of the factory steel script valve covers for mine but they are impossible to find here in NZ .

p.s. Enjoyed the "ride" in your pickup !

22. do you recall how much they were asking?

23. Scumdog

Scumdog

Y-blocks...the new flathead!:D

24. I really believe that is the case. You've nailed it.

25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I've collected a few parts since I got back into cars. More of a "save the parts" I took off & "collect" the new ones that will go back on.
    Moving to Az. in a couple weeks so now I have to haul all that stuff with me. Hope it all fits or I'll have to leave the washer/dryer or something else behind.

hudsonmand likes this.
  26. Well, at least your priorities are straight

27. Tedd

Tedd

Try this video someone captured of my Y-Block powered altered running at Temple, Texas last October.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASdMy0mkwY

I'll add that I had a '61 Fairlane with a Y that was slow. I'm afraid that one car molded my life after that.

28. Ole don

Ole don

When anyone says a Y block is a slug, we have just met a person who hasnt done his home work. We should remember that most of the cars they came in are near 3500 pounds, and the big ones are only 312 cubic inches. The ride in McTims truck in the dirt sounds just like my 55 Sedan in one mile on the salt, even the wheel slip at over 120. I cant afford the expensive exotic parts. No billit, no chrome, cheap old steel with rattle can paint and it eats 350 chevs for breakfast and its more darn fun than a geezer should be allowed.

29. Loved the ride in Tim's truck - thanks for sharing.

I've got my 312 y and three speed under the bench awaiting a rebuild for my new A coupe. And the hole under the hood of my '58 is now filled with a 390 with a top loader behind it.

I can't wait to get that Y back on the road - they sound like nothing else... A men

Cheers,
    Lazy

Attached Files: