Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block guys, I need some advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryangobie, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

Trying to get my girlfriends 55 fairlane going. After figuring out it needs to be in neutral to start via the yblocksforever forum archives (it's an automatic) sounds like the starter is shot. Just makes a buzzing noise and doesn't turn the engine over. I'm going to try and pull it today and bench test it but I heard references to mini starters. lots of praise too but the only one i found was 12v. Her car still has the original 6v positive ground. Do they make a 6v mini and if so is it worth it? a new or reman looks to be around 150 or 110 respectively around here. Havent called any starter shops down here yet about a rebuild though. Any thoughts?

2. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

I fully expect that when you remove the starter you will find that the spring retainer on the bendix has broken. The bendix is easily replaced, though not inexpensive. A new one is around $50.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Sure is good somebody invented those new mini starters, cause nobody was able to start them before. <<< that's sarcasm

How about you clean all the grounds and charge the battery first. If that doesn't do anything, replace the worn cables (if cracked/corroded). Then replace the solenoid. Then have the starter checked/rebuilt. Then try a new battery.

You could do all of this and still not cost probably half what the mini starter will cost. Let alone converting to 12 volts.

4. Paul2748

Paul2748

When replacing cables, be sure to get heavy duty ones, the bigger wire the better. Do not use 12 volt cables. 6 volt cars use a lot of amperage to run anything, especially the starter. 12 volt cables can't carry the amperage.

Never heard of a 6 volt mini starter, but try these guys http://www.autoelec.com/index.html 906-475-7772

5. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

I have a good 6volt starter you could have for $20 + shipping. When I say good it turns my '55 truck 272 over. I'm going to switch to 12volt when I put the motor in my T coupe. Of course I would clean everything up and do a battery charge like was suggested earlier before any of that. Good Luck!

6. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

cables look good and i gave it a good charge before posting this. whodoyoufink, i might take you up on it. still cleaning out her garage so i can get under it proper but i'll be in touch.

7. BJR

BJR

If you take the starter apart, sand the armature where the brushes ride, clean out the grooves between the copper segments and put new brushes in it. It will spin like new.

8. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

I can't even get the damn thing out. Talk about frustrating. It's so damn long and everywhere I try to move it I run into something. Crossmember, Suspension, Steering, Brake Lines. It's all in the way and I can't get the end of the spring past the flywheel.