Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block gurus need help 1931 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Dec 20, 2012.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I've been moving things around trying to get my Y block in my 31 coupe. I've installed a short oil filter, moved my steering box to go through the rails and cut a recess in the firewall. Things are tight! If I remember correctly the heads can swap side to side so they are identical, the question is, is the bolt that's at the far back of the head, is it used for anything other than a ground cable? if this part of the head was facing forward the hole is used for the alternator bracket. I want to shave it down to move the engine back another 1/2 inch, every inch I've moved this thing back has been a battle. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ole don

Ole don

Yes, the heads are interchangeable, BUT, the bung that the temp sender goes in usually gets enough corrosion that a new welch plug will no longer seal the hole. After this many years, you now have a right and a left head. To answer the question, yes you can cut away the boss pictured.

3. I ended up moving the front x-mem about 2" forward to fit mine in a '29 coupster.

4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Ive heard of a few others moving the cross member, I dont want to move it since I already cut the firewall. I'm thinking I may actually have to offset this engine a little bit to the passenger side. I shaved down the back of the head and it seems to fit, its kinda hard trying to get the engine set right with only two arms. How does the engine height look?

[​IMG]

The way I was planning the engine will actually be about an inch lower than its sitting now, it would also fit alot better if it was an inch higher but I think that might look a little funny and rule out ever running a hood. I'm gonna start making engine mounts soon so I want to make sure everything is about ready to go with no surprises.

5. santa28a

santa28a

I see the problem here - you have the steering box on the wrong side :)...........ohh yeah thats right you drive on the other side of the road !!