Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y-block Ford Tinny, Popping noise. Please Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by customline3859, Jun 15, 2020.

1. customline3859

customline3859

So after some closer examination. The inner spring is supposed to sit at the same height as the outer spring, which it obviously does not. This is my issue. Now I need to either remove the head and have it machined or find a single spring with the same spring rate. 20200707_190246.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warhorseracing likes this.
  2. I had an issue with clanky valves on my 292. Soft pushrods from the west coast. Finally got a new set from Smith Bros in Oregon. Randomly checked for hardness.
    y-blocks cylinders are 1-4 on right side, 5-8 on left. SBC's alternate odd on right, even on left. I have stock springs with a Snyder cam and they go up to 5K rpms, no float.
    If you have the heads off, think about having the valve stem guides machined for a better stem seal. All stock that I tried enjoy riding up and down with the valve.
    New guides installed in the heads?
    RB

3. The Mullet

The Mullet

Looks like incorrect length pushrods, lifter height, or overtightening the adjustment. The valves were most likely hitting the pistons. You should remove the heads or at least scope.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most inner springs I’ve used had a retainer which was stepped and were never the same height.

As a place for referencing, order a catalog from Competition Products. They have cam, springs, retainers, and keepers pages where you can go by diameters and rates. I’ve used keepers that have their ring in different heights to set the spring rate correct.
    I also have a tool from Isky for springs seat diameter to 1.55”. I never ever go deeper just larger.

Last year in the CP catalog I found a set of beehive style that I could use with the cups Ted described. Yes, all of it gets to cost $$$ but getting it right is always worth it to me.

I also bought a pressure spring tester you can used with a vice or drill press; very handy for the home guy.

All my pushrods have come from Smith in Oregon. Years ago I made an adjustable one from an old one for my GMC 6’s to get the correct length. Good luck

Desoto291Hemi likes this.