Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block exhaust crossover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petebert, Sep 16, 2009.

1. petebert

petebert

have a 52 lincoln, the manifolds join the exhaust via a crossover piece across the front of the engine. I'm told and have seen in pictures theres supposed to be an expansion piece on it, and mine being solid is probably why I have a crack in my manifold.

So how do I get the proper one, go used? Would a modern exhaust shop have any idea how to do it? If its something only specific shops do, can anyone suggest one? I'm in the Lexington, KY area and travel to Cincinnati and Dayton a bit.

heres an example with the sleeve on it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. As you say, that's what the correct joints look like...though over time they rust together. Any exhaust shop should be able to fabricate it...it's just a simple expansion. Around here even a Meineke/Midas muffler type shop can do it, no problem.

Those manifolds are fairly prone to cracking, regardless, in my experience.

3. petebert

petebert

so is each side actually moving in that joint? how does it seal?

4. Bigjake

Bigjake

On my ford y block cross over one end of the pipe is "belled" and the other just fits right in so it isnt a seperate piece just a male and female pipe fitting.

5. Theoretically, yes....it's a snug slip-fit...and it doesn't really seal, but they generally don't leak so's you'd notice. As I say, they generally rust together after awhile. I used anti-seize on one, but it wasn't necessary.

6. This is how the setup looks on my '53 Lincoln, similar but not quite like yours.

Never liked this Mickey Mouse cross-over system.
    Should grab me some '55 exhaust manifolds and have a go at true dual exhausts.

7. Bigjake

Bigjake

Yeah I hate the crossover as well. I call it the elbow burner. First thing I did but was cap off the passenger manifold at the crossover and run the drivers side off a curved piece of pipe down and made myself poor man's duals. Crude but effective.

8. petebert

petebert

as far as my cracked manifold, how well do the fixes shops do on them hold up? theres plenty of used ones out there without cracks.

9. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Don't recall that sleeve on my 54. Even my used engine doesn't have that sleeve. Maybe 52's had a manifold problem that was corrected by 53.

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Whatever you do, dont clamp the pipe together. Thats why they crack.