Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block distributor questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by backroads, Mar 13, 2016.

1. backroads

backroads

Hello all, I picked up a 55 ford with a 272 Y block. It's missing a distributor, so the question is which year Y block distributors will interchange that I can get one without going aftermarket. Thanks

2. Pretty sure they will all interchange. If it's y block it should fit. If you do go aftermarket, Mallory used to make a unilite that worked great in a friends 292 powered 55 f100.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look for a 1957 up distributor their points a curved 1955-56 v8 points are straight as are 6 cylinder points.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Also the earlier '54-56 Fords were a Load-O-Matic and they have to be matched to the carburetor to work properly. They don't play nice with later Carbs.

5. town sedan

town sedan

Base your distributor choice on your choice of carburetor. If using an original Load-O-Matic carb use a '56 and earlier distributor. Or, if using a
    "modern" carb use the '57 & up distributor.
    If I remember right the first year 239 Y-Block had a different distributor drive and only works in the 239 engine.
    -Dave

6. I wouldn't use the Load-o-matic in any case unless you're trying to restore the car. Plus the '57-up distributors use the 'common' Ford V8 cap/rotor/points that can be bought just about anywhere, or converted to electronic much easier.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you really want a Load O Matic, pay the shipping and I will send you one.

8. R Pope

R Pope

Converting to a newer distributor, just hook the vacuum advance line to manifold vacuum and you're away. Plug the hole in your carb and it will work fine.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is your oil pump drive the earlier blade type or the later hex shaft? If you don't want to change the oil pump you should match them.

Truck64 likes this.
  10. Advance Auto sells rebuilt y-block point dizzies for $88. Ask for a '62 galaxie model.