Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block distributor/oil pump question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bent, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Should a 58 292 have a hex drive on the distributor or just a tab like a SBC? Were they tab before going hex? If so when did they change?
    Thanks in advance~!

2. RAY With

RAY With

Y block uses a regular oil pump drive rod hex type . I have never seen a y block with a chev type oil drive personally.

3. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

So I got my answer. Turns out this '58 is in a boat and has a marine 2 stage oil pump with a unique drive.
    Thanks for the quick response!

4. Did it have the marine intake and low profile carb setup?

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

'54 239 Y block uses a tab style drive like a chev... All others use the hex type.

6. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

7. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

That makes sense. I did a bit of poking around and found that they all use the same oil pump from 55-62.

Thanks!

8. This is not exactly true- or, perhaps a better way to say it is that there's a bit more to the story.

The system was changed in early '55 production to the hex type, but at least some 239 engines were installed in production year '55 truck chassis. At some point in early-mid '55 the V8 option was changed to the 272. I believe that most or all 272s were equipped with the hex drive pump, but I have found one 272 with the tang/slot drive installed in a '55 F-100. I have no particular reason to believe, or disbelieve, that it was built that way on the engine assembly line.

The tang/slot drive was also used on the '54 256 Mercury engines.

In addition, there are two different syles of hex drive pumps, each of which have their fans.