Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block carbs and transmissions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Oct 29, 2004.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

What carbs came on the Y blocks? More specifically, I am looking at buying a possibly broken (they don't know for sure, and I haven't seen it) 57 Y Block engine to manual trans. I am thinking the heads may be good, and I am hoping the carb is worth using. I don't know for sure if it's a 3 or 4 speed, just that it was a stick car. They said it sounded like a "shotgun" went off and then the motor stopped running. They think it chucked a rod... but don't know for sure.

Any ideas what those parts would be worth? I was hoping it would have a holley 94, but I don't know when Ford stopped using them on their motors.

Thanks,

Alec.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My 57 292 came with the later style Ford carb. Not a 94. Trucks may be different. The 57 heads are supposed to be the good ones.

3. My 312 sounded like a shotgun went off when I busted the cam. Then it made quite a clatter. Just luckey I guess.
    My '55 292 had a Stromberg '97 on it when I got it in '69. Got it from my uncle who bought it new. He had had it overhauled so I don't know if they swapped the carb or not.
    The 4bbls were Holleys. At least all of them that i recall up through about '59.

4. laverda

laverda

My Y Block is from a '56 Merc Monarch. Has a Holley 4bbl, 'teapot' style. One of the manual trans of that era is T86 Borg Warner. It is a three speed with a manually engaged OD. I was thinking about posting some info I have found regarding its operation. The original owner had no clue how it worked and I spent a few months trying to find a comprehensive description.

5. Paul2748

Paul2748

For two bbls, 54-56 had an EBU or ECG 94 type carb (2100). 57 and up had a Holley type carb. 54-56 4 bbls were teapots and Rochesters i believe. I had a 56 Merc 312 with a Rochester. A friend of mine has a 54 Merc with a teapot. In 57 they went to a Holley type 4 bbl. There could be some more variations.

6. bedllm

bedllm

My brother's '56 F-100 had a Holley two barrel (the kind that looks like your basic 4150 four barrel, but with only one float bowl).

Not sure if that setup was original though. Sometime before we got it, the original 272 had been replaced by this 292. That said, the Holley 2bbl setup looked pretty stock. I don't remember seeing any kind of adaptor on it or anything.

Dave