Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block 3X2 Testing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tedd, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Tedd

Tedd

I'm preparing for a dyno test where a variety of 3X2 intakes will be tested on a +060 over 312 Ford Y-Block. Although I already have on hand both the large and small port Edelbrocks, a Weiand, the Offy, and a couple of different Edmunds 3X2 intakes, I still need a Fenton example in which to test.

If there is anyone out there that has a Fenton intake that could be loaned for this test, please contact me by phone so we can make arrangements on shipping and getting it back to you at the conclusion of the tests.

Thanks,
    Ted Eaton
    Eaton Balancing
    1060 Wolf Creek Road
    Lorena, Texas 76655
    254-857-3339 CST business hours

2. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Keep us advised as to your outcome. My money is on the Edelbrock 573.

3. It will be interesting to see wich one will flow better.

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Cool! I can't wait to see the outcome. I've got a Weiand that I'd love to know the performance of and where it ranks in comparison.

What will you be running for carbs?

5. Tedd

Tedd

The carbs are Stromberg 97's. Will likely be jetted #48's all the way around as the engine is just a tad on the lean side right now with 48's in the center and 45's on the ends. That's with a 573 intake right now.

The results will be posted on the Y-Bloocks Forever site when this is all said and done. Looks like next week for the testing but would sure like to have a Fenton intake included in this round of testing. I'll pay shipping both ways if someone has the intake sitting on a shelf.

6. I'll be watching too. Good to see you here Ted. :)

7. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Sweet! It sure will be nice to see a side by side comparison. Keep us posted.

Thanks ! ! !

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

same here. Can't wait to see the results!

9. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

10. Tedd

Tedd

No Fenton 3X2 intakes showed up so they were not reresented in this particular dyno test. But research is pointing to the Fenton and Edmund intakes being cast in the same molds so there may or may not have been a difference in these.

The Edelbrock ‘573’ at 279 horsepower has proved itself to be the best performer of the seven 3X2 intakes that were tested. It was 29 horsepower better than the Offenhauser which was at the bottom of the list in regards to performance. Three different Edmunds intakes were tested and the newer the intake, the better its overall performance. The Offy intake was the only intake in the group that was not a true dual plane as the Offy had a common plenum under the carbs and only a 4” divider to split up the flow before going to the intake ports at the heads. The engine itself is a stock headed (no port work) +060 over 312 that still has the pistons ~0.025” in the hole with 9.2:1cr and using a Crower Monarch camshaft and Harland Sharp 1.6:1 aluminum roller tipped rockers.

The first intake tested (the Edel ‘573’) was put back on the engine at the tailend of the 3X2 testing to validate that the engine was still up to par and it was. The new Mummert single four aluminum intake was placed on the engine after 3X2 testing was concluded and the horsepower number jumped up to 292HP using a modified 600cfm vacuum secondary Holley (List 1850) with a 2” four hole spacer under it. But this intake has thus far shined on everything it’s been put on so no surprise there.

11. Tedd

Tedd

Thanks Tim.

12. Heo

Heo

interesting to see how the stock fourbarrel intake
    would hawe performed to...maby better than the offy...

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow... I shouldn't have read this, hahaha... that 13 hp difference might bug me, no matter my other mods. :eek: :D

14. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

You mention that the newer the Edmunds the better performing...how do I find the age of my intake. I have an Edmunds with DM-4255 on the bottom but have yet to find anywhere that I can I.D. this intake. Any help would be appreciated.

15. Tedd

Tedd

Suffixes on the end of the part number are the easiest way to gauge the age of the manifold. Yours being DM-4255 is likely a later version of the basic DM425 but prior models used letters rather than a number to indicate a revision. Can you post a picture of your particular manifold showing the part number? You might also try looking at the interior of the intake for additional casting numbers as the DM424D and the DM425 I have here do have verifying part numbers cast on both the front and rear intake runner dividers that can be seen when looking into the intake from the port side. Beyond this, I'll not be much help.

16. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

WooHoo.....sure do love that Y-Block. THANKS Tedd!!!

17. Heo

Heo

Thanks fo the comparasinon Ted
    If i got this right the factory 4bbl
    made about the same power with
    the bad exhaust as the offy 3x2
    with the god exaust?

18. Tedd

Tedd

That's right!!! The engine was already at the 250HP mark with a stock manifold and a Holley four barrel carb with the restricted exhaust system. In a nutshell, the Offenhauser 3X2 setup would have been a poorer performer than the factory setup with all else being equal.

19. pecker head

pecker head

Dang ! This was interesting !

20. GARY?

GARY?

Ah man I had a Fenton and have a Weiand that would have been great for the test.