Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Tee Shirt Update,
    As D-russ stated in the post above there was a flaw in the printing process on the Team support shirts that was not acceptable. I want only the best quality shirts for everyone. You paid good Money for them and deserve a quality product. We are hard at work getting this back on track and will be shipping as soon as we possibly can. Please bear with me while the shirts are being redone.
    Thank You,
    John Mullen Team Owner
    XO/PP 640 Bonneville Project

Stogy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  2. Header Progress report.. 4 tubes welded up 2 tubes polised IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG

3. Headers finally done!! WOO HOO!!! IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0492.JPG

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful job John, I need to take lessons from you! Your check for a T shirt and the note with necessary info is all sealed up and ready to go out, but I haven't been to town to mail it as I'm here in case of need of my presence in installation of complete new HVAC system.

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Why the dry sump? Some advantage on a Salt run?

loudbang likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Interesting that you aren't running a torque converter.
    Are you allowed a push car?

loudbang likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.
    On the torque converter, dirt track guys have been running without them for years without a push start so it's no big deal. I push off the line with my roadster because my lowest trans gear is 1.61-1.

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am familiar with the dirt track glides with no converter as I have built 100s of them.
    Just a tip you can run Mobile 1 motor oil in these. ;)

9. Jimmy2car, Great Question .... There are actually two reasons to use a dry sump systems. #1 is for fire safety ...engine throws a rod out of the oil pan, Oil goes everywhere, Catches on fire from the hot headers. #2 dry sump systems actually add HP as the system will pull a vacuum below the pistons, helps oil control, The oil pan stays pumped dry so there is no oil to be whipped up into the rotating crank assembly creating parasitic drag. Dyno test have shown around 15 to 20 HP gains with dry sump systems depending on the engine being tested. Some NASCAR engine builders have claimed 30+HP gains
    I hope this helps answer your question. .

10. I have been told 5 W 30 works well in this combo. Only takes 7 HP to run this transmission and mobile1 just makes it even better.. However there are also some very slick synthetic transmission fluids as well as rear end gear oils from ( Driven oils ) that I think are even better, they just cost 3ryst as much. Reducing Parasitic drag lets more of the HP the engine makes get to the rear wheels.. win/win... and having a gear like this one doesn't hurt ether.. Lightened, polished, Balanced and DLC coated DPP_0004.JPG DPP_0005.JPG IMG_3869_1.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I had one low buck sportsman racer that had a sponsor for the Mobile 1 so I told him to run it in the glide also and he had less problems as the others but he was not hard on his car because he didn't have the money to fix it.
    I did notice less gear wear in his and switched most of the others to it.

The ones I built would have internal bleeds for low and reverse so they didn't have to use the bypass valve.

12. MSD Ignition came today, Man what a nice product, Hottest Ignition system ever made.. MSD RULES, Thanks MSD/Holley !! IMG_0497.JPG

Okie Pete, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. Salt Flats, Where did you get your bleed off valve body's or did you make the mods yourself?

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I did them myself.
    Drill the right hole in the oil tube that goes from the valve body to the low band servo.
    For reverse you have to drill the valve body.
    I will look for some that I have modified and get some pictures if you like.

15. saltflats,
    That would be awesome if you could do that. give me a short brief with the photos as to the procedure.
    Thank you, John

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  16. another package from Painless Performance came today with HD Battery cables, Master cut off switch, Engine Ground Kit, more switch's, an 80 amp relay for the 18 volt ignition supply, and Fan Relay w/temp sensor...
    Painless performance products are top notch and I would recommend them to anyone who wants only the very best parts to go on there Hot Rod, Race Car, custom or street ride.. I'm Not Kidding! their stuff is really well made.

17. OK, I HAVE CONFORMATION THE NEW BATCH OF TEE SHIRTS WILL BE HEAR NEXT WEEK...I will be shipping them by the end of next week. I appreciate everyone for their patience over the delay.
    On another note I began the wiring on the truck today. The Painless wiring kit sure makes it an easy job to wire.

18. Progress Report, Getting ready to shoot pics for the Rodders Journal clip. working on getting the engine ready for start up and working the sheet metal IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0506.JPG

19. A great Big Thank You to Stewart Trotter from Techna-Fit Performance Products for donating everything needed to plumb up the fuel system Thanks Stewart. WWW.Techna-Fit.com IMG_0519.JPG

20. Also Thanks to Mr. Joseph Mills from Auto Meter Gauges for the donation of these pro series Gauges and Tachometer. WWW.AutoMeter.com IMG_0520.JPG

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know how pickups get all this neat stuff. Roadsters sure don't.

22. Thank You David Voth from Derby KS for his generous donation to the Bonneville Project. I appreciate the support to help this dream come to life. Thank You David & God Bless

23. I thought I would pass along the list of sponsors who have supported the Bonneville Project .
    K&N Filters
    Optima Battery's
    MSD ignitions
    Holley fuel delivery systems
    Auto Meter Gauges and Tachometer
    Painless Wiring Products
    The wheel Smith
    Meziere Enterprises water pump
    Bear Brakes
    Master Craft / Impact racing Products
    Techna-Fit AN Fittings and hoses
    Along with an untold number of people from around the US who just want to be a part of this amazing story.
    I could not have written a scrip that would begin to tell the story of all the people who have made this dream come true. There are no words that can express my humble gratitude.
    Special Thank go out to.... Doug Dwyer, Steve Coonan / Rodders Journal, Dave Russell, Ted Tallent, The HEAPS Old Dominion, BNI / SCTA, Jimmy's Engine Service, countless contributing Members of the Virginia H.A.M.B. Social Group who really got this project off to a great start and so many more behind the scenes people from all over the US that support this project
    Thank you all so very much. Ill never forget this amazing journey and those who took it with me

24. A big thank you to D-Russ, 57 Heap 57 Trucker for there help in the shop working on the Bonneville Project . We got lots done, Fabricated a bracket to mount the Meziere Enterprises 55 GPM inline water pump, lots of body work and spraying primer on body parts cleaning up the shop, Putting away tools installing tires. A great day sharing work load with the Team.

25. It is with great sadness I report that our team mate Doug Dwyer's Mother in law has passed. On behalf of the XO/PP 640 team we express our deepest sympathy for Jan and Doug and there family. May God be with them in this time of sorrow.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. I will be picking up the new XO/PP Bonneville Project T Shirts tomorrow morning. I wish to thank everyone for there patience through the delay. I am happy to be shipping shirts finally out to everyone who so Kindly purchased shirts in support of the Bonneville Project. Thank You all so much. You should see your shirts in 4 to 7 days depending on your zip code.. IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0529.JPG

27. Phenomenal profile, John!! Looks fast sitting still!

The help you are getting is awesome! Stand-up guy getting just a touch of what he truely deserves!!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. The truck looks awesome John!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Thank you Ben O'Connor for the support for the Bonneville Project There great safety products make the truck top notch. I appreciate everything you have Done for the XO/PP 640 Team. IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

30. All the T shirts are packed up and will be shipped AM tomorrow. I want to thank everyone who purchased a shirt or shirts especially those who gave a donation greater than the shirt cost. Thank you all for supporting the Bonneville Project.. John

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.