Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Wow! sorry to hear that John. As you know those 262 blocks don't grow on trees but I'll keep my eyes open in the SC upstate and North Georgia.

Lou Manglass

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Thanks Lou I appreciate that very much.
    I would hope to find one close to home. The one I had came from Gilroy California..

3. ironrodder

ironrodder

Will any other block work? I have a I think 240 block you can have.

Stogy, D-Russ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Thanks man, we appreciate the offer, but the 240/300 series is completely different from the 223/262 series. And our class requires that the engine could have come in the year/body of truck we're running.

5. On behalf of everyone involved with team 640 we are so proud to announce. We recieved confirmation from CJ at ECTA that we have the record for XO/PP 1/2 MILE
    AT 99.834 MPH. And we did it with a sustained head wind of 14 mph to boot.
    Time to celebrate!! 20220424_104154.jpg
    This would not be possable if not for the many supporters of the Virginia H.A.M.B Special project.
    Thank you all so much.
    John / team 640

6. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Sacrifices were made. Battles were won. Record was set.
    Way to go, John & Team 640!

Stogy likes this.
  7. So I guess it's true, they do go faster right before they blow ! Congrats

D-Russ, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  8. Photos of the catastrophic damage.
    Looks like the #4 cylinder wall gave way letting the cylinder hydraulic breaking the rod . Looks like the cam and crank may be ok I will know more once they get maged for cracks.
    A block, rods, pistons, rings and bearings hopfully will be all that's needed. The dated thing was still running until Dave shut it off after getting off the track 20220427_131945.jpg 20220427_130419.jpg 20220427_130320.jpg 20220427_130413.jpg

9. Looks like a partially filled block may be in your future? Best of luck rounding up the parts.

D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  10. Thanks

milwscruffy and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thankfully there are silver linings in this unfortunate anomaly not uncommon in this type of challenge, such as Speed Victory noted, power gains realized and the biggest most important was there were no injuries...Glad the Team Spirit is Full on for the revival and return to full steam ahead...Congratulations on all the Achievements to date Team 640.

D-Russ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  13. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Congratulations!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Congrats on the record, John and gang! Hope you have good luck locating another block.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Found a 262 block in Oregon got it coming.
    Photos of the catastrophic damage to the blocking wiped out everything 20220502_135043.jpg 20220502_135100.jpg 20220502_135108.jpg 20220502_135153.jpg

16. The rare 2 piece cam option?

Stogy and XXL__ like this.
  17. Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. JB weld?? Lol

19. Just grind a good V before welding

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Completely out of curiosity, were you able to pinpoint the point of failure? Thin casting flaw? Just too much wall material removed?

Stogy and jimmy six like this.
  21. spanners

spanners

"Ran when parked"?

XXL__ likes this.
  22. I'm beginning to think that the piston separated at the oil wiper ring area (3rd ring) and the top came off I found the piston top stuck at the top of the bore. That's my best guess..
    Lots of missing parts not found in the reckage.

23. We have found a block in Oregon and should have it sometime next week.
    We are assembling parts and pcs to get a new engine ready asap. However I was told today that the custom built rods have a 4 month delivery date. That sucks but it is what it is. They are one off parts.. Pistons are 6 to 8 weeks out. Cam and lifters 3 to 4 weeks plus machine work.
    Doesn't look like we will make Bonneville this year. Maybe the world finals ...

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Order enough spares so this circumstance never, ever happens again.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Wow......holy crap!!!!!! Major offering to the God of Speed!!!
    Best of luck getting her back together and continue the challenge towards your LSR goal!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  26. Not much happening right now, waiting on parts, looks like it might take a while. Hang in here and I'll keep posting once things begin to work.
    Going to Oklahoma City the first week of June to pickup a complete 262 stock engine, 3 heads, fly wheels and some other engine parts.

27. Moving my trip up to OKC
    heading out today and will incorporate a trip to New Mexico to attend a family wedding and a visit with my sister in Kentucky

28. The crew came today and we changed the rear gear back to a 3.55 and raised the rear of the truck an inch for some drive shaft clearance. Also started cleaning up and inspecting the dry sump pump and flushing the oil lines. Hoping for pistons in a couple weeks so I can bore the block. Jimmy found the Crank has .003 runout and is in the process of straightening it before turning the journals if needed. The new came came in last week along with a new set of lifters.
    That's all for now..

29. OK so I'm building another Ford Flathead to sell and use the profit for the XO/PP 640. It has a merchant 4 inch crank Eab heads 3 ring forged pistons stainless valves adjustable lifters new oil pump Isky 100 cam .010 rod .020 mains new water pumps 2x2 with Strombergs.
    This engine will be tuned in on my run in stand and broken in ready to install.
    The price will be $ 7.500 + shipping
    Rebuilt starter, flywheel, clutch & pressure plate bell housing and Generator can
    be purchased separately if wanted. It should be ready in 60 days or so.
    If interested PM me and we can talk.
    Thanks

D-Russ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to get it all back together for Speedweek?.......4 weeks!
    You guys work so hard I bet you can gitter done.

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.