Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Glad you made it back home safe Dave... Thanks for the kudo's

loudbang likes this.
  2. More XO/PP build photos IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3108.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3208.JPG

3. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

[​IMG]
    John, what's the deal with the fancy valves?

[​IMG]
    ...and the 2 notches at the top of each cylinder?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. more Photos IMG_3439.JPG IMG_3440.JPG IMG_3441.JPG IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3562.JPG IMG_3652.JPG IMG_3684.JPG

Attached Files:

5. more photos IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3767.JPG IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3847.JPG

Attached Files:

6. The "fancy valves" are custom made cutting tools to clearance the deck for additional valve clearance. Otherwise the actual valves would collide with the deck when they open. And the notches in the deck are the result of the cutting tools.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    alanp561, 48fordnut, mctim64 and 4 others like this.
  7. OK, here's step by step instructions to join the Virginia HAMB social group:
    1. Navigate to the HAMB home page
    2. Select the MEMBERS drop down menu (it's the second gray tab from the left near the top of the window)
    3. Select SOCIAL FORUMS from the MEMBERS drop down menu
    4. On the SOCIAL FORUMS page, scroll down and select Geographical
    5. On the Geographical page, scroll down and select Virginia HAMB(ers)
    6. On the top right of the Virginia HAMB(ers) page click the Social Forum Tools drop down
    7. Click JOIN SOCIAL FORUM and you're officially a member!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

How didyou attach the cutters to the valve face?

9. I just want to mention hear that this project would not be happening without the help of so many people from not only hear in Virginia, ( Virginia H.A.M.B.(ers) but as well as others from around the country that have donated Parts, Money, Information, Technical advice, Great moral support, and so much more. This project isn't just about me or my personal Bonneville journey any more. This amazing story is really about the many people who have a dream just like me and want to be a part of it. It's like this, My personal budget alone could not financially support a project to the quality of build it would take to be not only safe but fast. ( Speed Cost how fast can you afford to go)LOL. I didn't want to just come to Bonneville to have our team driver to just ride down the track. I am coming with all I can possible bring to succeed. So many dreams from others who like me could never afford a project like this alone are having there dreams coming to life as well.
    My Team has the same drive and expectations to represent those who have supported the XO/PP Bonneville Project In a professional manner that will make us all proud.
    So having said all this I want to take time to say Thank You to all those who have become a part of this amazing story. IMG_3345.JPG
    Thank You All,
    John Mullen
    XO/PP Bonneville Project...

48fordnut, D-Russ, mctim64 and 10 others like this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is the record still 131? Nice to see a Ford running in XO competitively. I always liked the X and V4 classes because you don't spend much time reading catalogs. More time in the shop

11. yes it is still 131 at Bonneville, Dennis Thornton and his crew have bumped the record at El Mirage to 104 or 105 in there 1961 f100 powered by a 262+ CU. IN. L head 6 engine. Not sure of the exact number . Congrats to them for there success there..

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Are you going to drag that thing all the way to El Mirage? 400 miles is a long tow for me.

13. RichFox,
    I plan to come to Bonneville in 2018. The truck is on schedule and should be finished by then. Hopefully we can raise funding for the trip out and back. ( Man what an expense ). If Bonneville for some reason does not run I will probably venture on to El Mirage. I just hope Bonneville will be good. Its costly enough to come to Bonneville and it would be a shame to come all that way and not race. I have family in New Mexico and could stop of there until the next race date at El Mirage. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2018 on the salt.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonneville maybe a safer bet. One more guy out the back door El Mirage by someone with his head up his A-- in front of the BLM and the SCTA will be history. I think we are on " double secret" probation as of the end of 2017. With so many warnings I know we are on very thin ice for sure. Our Clubs "guest" drivers seem to no clue other than "Opps I'm so sorry"

15. Are you saying there is limited shut down area at El Mirage or do some drivers just don't know where the speed traps are located and just keep going?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The fast guys got stopped OK. Some of the other guys just kept going. But good luck to you at Bonneville. I bet they have pretty good salt this year.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You John for bringing the sophistication, ingenious engineering and preparation involved in the drive for capturing a title in the books. There are many on the board here in the many varied types of racing each with levels of expertise that just doesn't happen without shear dedication, know how and the pioneering which never ceases to amaze which is evident through the discussion and the pictures you and they are posting.

I am sure you are going to capture the moments on film to archive the moments forever and we all look forward to this day in anticipation much like you do.

Happy New Year.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has always been a limited shut down area at El Mirage. It was about 1/2 mile when I started in 1975. It's now over a mile with an unbelievable amount of cones the drivers with EGOS as big as their wallets just can't seem to see. We have some of fastest cars in the world that can stop in less than a 1/2 mile and others driving 150 mph that can't see the end at 1.3 miles when you can see the end sitting in your car at the starting line.
    The first rule of amature land racing today seems that the more money you spend, the smarter you are, so you don't need to listen (or go to the mandentory driver meeting) .
    To me it's truly sad; and we see it every May and November with the 2 day meets with folks coming to El Mirage for the first time. They may have experience else where including Bonneville but none and I mean none are the same as driving in the fine dirt/dust of El Mirage or Muroc. Enclosed cars are the worst and I've driven them. You can leave the line and in 100 yards not see a thing..... Do you stop and admit you have a problem....not EGO driver... He can't see his steering wheel but he's going for 200. Finish line...what finish line. Oh "I was looking at my Tach" must have missed it.....bye bye SCTA....HELLO $500 useless car beside the garage. Sorry for the rant.
    PS: John, add 2, 1-2" air ducts to feed the cab of your pickup with fresh air, one on each side. Most guys do it where their wind wings or mirrors once were.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nobody that misses the driver meeting should be permitted to run, that seems to me to be half the solution, the other half being a guy who is willing to tell these guys where the bear shits.

48fordnut and Stogy like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not boosting, just saying, in months I drive I walk the course every course walk the previous days afternoon. I want to see what I'm driving on the next day no matter what. I'm 73 and ran in May after walking it. I walk it my duty month too. I've attended the drivers meetings ... There is always something to learn even after 42 years.

21. Thank you Stogy for your inspiration and encouragement for this wonderful journey.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

The land speed racing in Maine is at the former Loring AFB in Limestone ME which is 4 miles from the Canadian Border, It is about 400 miles up in Maine. They have two meets this year one in themeetsidJuly 10-15 and a smaller one the end of August. In July you probably can get in 4 or more runs on each ofyje 5 dsayd of racing , Check lta.com

Marcia, D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  23. That's great information, rookie's like me need to be safe and fulfill our commitment to succeed. For our team and supporters I thank you. I'll take the walk you recommend with gratitude

D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  24. I have been involved in competitive racing all my life. Drag Racing and Oval track as well as other motorsports. I have found them so completive that no one will share what they have found that is to there benefit. I personally am guilty of hording information that worked for me over the years. Now at the panicle of my carrier I find the people that are Land Speed Racers are of the most generous people I have ever met. So many of them have poured information into my project. I find it enlightening and sometimes almost unbelievable. What a different breed of people I find in this form of motorsports. When our team succeeds and we will at some point. We will owe a debt of gratitude to all who helped along the way. It will certainly make the journey safer and help us achieve our goals much sooner. I recall asking Dennis Thornton why he wanted to help me and his reply was, ( I have set a number of records and they all will be broken in time. This is what keeps this sport alive and growing. Its my duty to the sport to help others achieve the same.) that's the spirit I find in those who have the quest for speed.
    Thank you all who have supported out team.
    John Mullen Team owner.
    XO/PP 640 Bonneville project.
    the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special...

25. I don't think the cutters were attached to the valves, I believe they were made in one piece and I'm sure they were hardened. But @john mullen is the right person to accurately answer your question.

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, Dennis and I raced against each other for years when he was partners with Bud Morrill and their GMC roadster. He always wanted to try his cylinder head on my blocks but my piston design and use of another style head would not match up. He was very inovative and built some great injectors for a 12 port Bud had. It still holds a record at El Mirage. A good guy...

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  27. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

[​IMG]
    ... could you use this to fix the Piston problem? (See - I learn things and stuff on the H.A.M.B.!)

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  28. These are old school cutters designed to fit the actual valve size on the head I modified for the project. they have actual valve faces on the other side of the cutters. I have used them building Late model stock car engines. I would buy pistons without any eyebrows cut in them set the pistons at top dead center then use the cutter to determine the actual depth I needed for valve clearance according to the cam lift I used. Its a complicated process but it worked. Our rules hear for late model dictated the piston could not come above the deck. I decked them .020 in the hole and used a steel shim gasket from GM. Torqued the head in place then used a dial indicator to see how much the valve moved until it touched the piston. then calculated how much eyebrow cut was needed. removed the head replaced the valve with the cutters and cut the pistons accordingly. This is one of the secrets that gave an edge over the competition as we could get a higher compression ratio this way. Some of my engine combos would only need .030 to .040 cut in the piston tops thus more compression... I don't remember where I purchased the cutters as it has been a long time back. I'm sure if you did a search on the net you could find them.

chryslerfan55, Countn'Carbs and Stogy like this.
  29. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Too cool, John! In your calculations, did you have to cut the eyebrows just a few thousandths deeper to account for heat expansion or (what's the expression?) "Rod Stretch" at high RPMs? Or do things not expand or stretch that much when running?