Register now to get rid of these ads!

Xmas thought: How has the h.a.m.b. Helped you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Dec 15, 2008.

1. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Most inportant is meeting new people and makeing friends, then of course, knowledge..Sharing...encouragement..ON and ON..

MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL>>>>>>>
    Duane.

2. poorboy

poorboy

tons of advice, good times, and good deals but the best thing was getting my car chopped in the HAMBchop. That was an awesome weekend that i'll never forget. I met and got to hang out with a ton of great HAMBers, saw some great hot rods and customs, ate some killer barbecue, saw the runs at El Mirage, and got my car chopped to boot! Thanks Ryan for creating this place.

3. RichG

RichG

As a brand spankin' newby, the HAMB has solidified my opinion that the majority of car people are good people. I am amazed at the sheer mass of information available at a single click. I am grateful to all of you here, I wouldn't have a clue about some (or most) of the tech solutions you've offered.

Also, seeing how you all reach out to those in need has helped raise my spirits, because you're all here as car people, but really, you're here as GOOD people first and foremost. Thanks HAMBers, thank you very much.:)

4. In the immortal words of JFK
    "Ask not what the HAMB can do for you; but what you can do for the HAMB."
    ...or was it the immoral words of breeder? anyway

I've laughed like a banshee quite a bit

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

First and foremost its given me friends that I would've otherwise never met. Secondly its actually given me confidence. Since joining the HAMB I've:

1. Built and drove the crap out of my first hot rod
    2. Learned how to ride a motorcycle and now I own two vintage Triumphs.
    3. Went back to school and I'm four classes shy of my degree.

These are all things I though I was incapible of three short years ago.

6. striper

striper

To say that I couldn't have built my hot rod (and it's not done yet) without the HAMB is probably overstating the situation but I know a lot of stuff would have been many times harder and taken many times longer. (Probably would have come out so good, either)

I have gotten so much out of this site that I won't even start to try to list it all but a good example is today I needed some advice while working in the shed. I came inside, typed in the question and got the answer. What a resource!

I tell guys I work with how it works and they can't believe it. It's like having your own personal Hot Rod oracle.

The oracle can also provide parts at better prices than anyone else. Sometimes they're free! It's madness.

Merry Christmas HAMB.

7. Lucky77

Lucky77

One more thing, I'm thankfull that GMC Bubba introduced me to fried Spam sandwiches at the Hot Rod Cinematic. I'd successfully navigated 31 years without as much as a bite of Spam. Ever since that day last June I've been hooked.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well guys, I have had a ball on this site and made several good friends who have been very helpful and knowledgable.
    I am very grateful to be offered friendship requests by some like minded guys.

I have probably given as good as I have got at times but you get that on sensitive topics close to the heart as traditional hot rodding can be.

I hope I have been able to make a contribution back to some of the HAMB guys seeking info for their projects.

I have been honoured to be recognised by 38Flattie amongst some of the big names in Cadillac flathead stuff.

So I guess this also a good opportunity to wish you one and all the compliments of the season and hope to enjoy many more seasons with you all.
    Russ.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

every since i was a young lad, i dreamed that one day, in the future, i could find a website so good, that i would sit in front of this box every time i wasn't at work, destroy my back, lose my vision, get carpal tunnel in my wrist and avoid raising my kids properly!!!!
    so, yes, it has helped me in all my goals!:D:p

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well breeder, it's always good to achieve goals!

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I found that I WASTE alot of time on the HAMB.
    O.K. O.K. O.K. O.K.

I waste a lot of time anyway!

BUT really,

I've learned all the stuff in the first thirty post on this thread and much more ,

About friendship and helping others , after all its just car parts.............

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    to you all & A Happy New Year

12. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

helped me turn this into something I could actually drive:

[​IMG]

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yeah, and even over achieve!!:rolleyes::D

14. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

The H.A.M.B. has made me an internet Tough Guy.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Wow- freindship, technical, over achievers, tough guys! So many things have been mentioned.

Merry christmas!

16. senior fried

senior fried

If you meet Monsterflake at a Hamb event he will be the the guy on his laptop posting up as it happens. Kinda like HAMB Live...:D

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Awesome posts guys! Thank you

18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

The HAMB helpeded me find some history on my 51 Merc and pictures of it in Car Craft in 1957.Also helped me get an invite to Sacramento.Great Site.

19. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

That the truth. Some of the finest people in the world are part of this familiy. The 40 wt, rubber and gasoline family.

As for how it has helped me? I have kept most of my sanity during a period of time in my life where I probably would have took the Hemingway out thinking it was just the right thing to do. Denise here led me to the HAMB, and its been great to share knowlege, parts, and just damn good fun from a bunch of very, very, intelligent people. The kind of folks I have always respected, both young and young at heart. You all don't know it but you really helped me adjust to living with visual impairment, I don't think I could have otherwise. I have even figured out that I still turn a wrench some, even weld if everything is fitted right. Life is just a little different and thats all right by me.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The knowledge and sense of humor of you guys and gals....priceless.
    Ribald,raw and rare!
    Thanks for that,some days we need a good laugh!

The generosity and concern of the members to help those in need is a good lesson.

I'd be safe to say this is the best forum on the net!

21. gassman57

gassman57

I am battling cancer; at times it really helps minimize the chemical side efects to keep the mind busy. All the stories, the pictures and the projects; The HAMB has been like the miracle cure. It lets me keep looking to the future and achieveing some goals ...like that Hot Rod; that some day, will make it into my garage!! Met a few of you in person this year...what a good group of people !!

I'd like to thank you all very much.

Rick

22. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I think thats a big part of spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods. Growing up we had a lot of gearheads hanging around the house, trading work, parts, insults, and friendship. Thats how I remember it.

23. 201

Being on the HAMB is like getting the two or three good issues of a hot rod magazine that you see in a years time delivered to you every day. And by some very talanted and helpfull people. Also a few real nutballs! But thats what makes the world go round and I look forward to every winter when I have the time to keep up on this web site.
    This site has helped me more than I can discribe in getting my car done. It helps you remember all the stuff you should of if you where paying attention way back when. Thanks Ryan for keeping it going.

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

So much knowledge, so much help, and so many great stories!

Merry christmas and happy new year to you all!