Register now to get rid of these ads!

wtk motor oil shelf life

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnight auto parts, Nov 26, 2009.

1. midnight auto parts

midnight auto parts
    from tn

hope ever one had a good thanksgiving.
    my question is how long oil stays good. like lots of folks on here i collect oil cans and wonder if any of the oil is still good or does it gel or seperate with age.
    might be good to use in lawn mowers or squirt cans.

2. I put some old stock 10W30 that's at least 15 years old in my truck. A little more yellow than new stuff but no problems. In fact I had more issue with it leaking out of the cans it came in, I had to open them all and put them in 2-gallon oil cans instead. But at $15 a case I wish I'd bought a couple more cases.

3. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

I all depends a if the container is sealed then I would say indefinitely.
    If the seal was broken and you would get some moisture it my brake down because of some of the additives that are added to the oil.
    Also if open and you have a real extreme climate change it may degrade........
    The old oil cans where lined with wax and that alone may degrade and contaminate the oil.

4. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

considering it's millions of years old, i would think oil has a shelf life longer than ours...