Register now to get rid of these ads!

wth leaf spring bushing install 41 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Jan 12, 2013.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

bought the rear leaf spring conversion kit from JPL streetrods made by chassis engineering. for 575 id expect it to come with a $20 set of bushing but it didnt. so i ordered new ones from chevys of the 40s. 10$ to ship a 1/2 pound item US mail and 8 days later lol they showed up. tried to install and no way in hell will these press in. put them in freezere for 2 days and tried again. same thing. i dont want to take a torch to heat the leaf springs themselves and of course its sat so both shops are closed. and of course i finally have some time and its above 40 degrees so i was hoping to make progress. any ideas? i mean these arent even close to press fitting inside. i was going to try and just start them with a hammer (not directly on the bushing but up against a bolt head or something) and then use some all thread to push them in but i cant get these things even close to started. the rear leaf kit says to use stock bushings by the way.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I used a 2x4 against the bushing then hammered against the 2x4, in a 58 chevy pickup spring... took a bit but they finally lined up!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Last ones I did were so tight that I put them on a belt sander and beveled one edge to allow them to go in. I also had to use some silicon bushing grease on the bushing to help it to go in, and put a big fender washer on both sides of the spring eye and a piece of allthread rod to pull it in as I tapped on it with a dead blow hammer. Once it started in I was able to pull them down with the threaded rod pretty easily.