Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTF??? Solid lifter Push Rod Degradation???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrameDragger, Jun 1, 2004.

1. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

I have had a couple of valves that have had a shit load of valve adjustment required lately... I found out why (at least)one of them is off tonight... Bad pic, but the end was screwed on it... (Comp Cams .550 lift solid [​IMG])... has anyone had this before???

thx

Mike

Attached Files:

2. DrJ

DrJ

Is it getting oil?
    Maybe that lifter isn't drilled thru to oil the rocker.

(Since you didn't ID the engine I'm going to assume a hollow push rod thats oiled by the lifter.)

3. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Doc... It's the SBC in the Terraplane... [​IMG]

Not sure if it was plugged, but it's a fairly low mile engine, and the oil path is free...

M-

4. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Oof, here's a better one...

Attached Files:

5. DrJ

DrJ

Is it squirting oil out the hole in the rocker?
    Is it the top of the rod chewed up? if so the rocker is chewed up too. If it's the bottom the lifter is chewed up because it rocks some in the socket.
    But that thing looks dry unless you cleaned it good before taking the lousy picture. [​IMG]

6. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Doc, that's the Rocker side... Rocker arm looks unharmed [​IMG]

(also, been sittin' since sunday before last...)

M-

7. DrJ

DrJ

You put some made in China, Toyota push rods in it didn't ya?

8. DrJ

DrJ

I've got a coffee can half full of used ones if you need some replacements but I think if it's not just bad steel it's not getting oil.

9. jerry

jerry

with that amount of lift on the cam make sure that you're not getting into spring bind. also check for the slot on the rocker arm hitting on the rocker stud.

hope to see you at roadsters swap.

jerry

10. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Never!!! Don Prieto Built this one... (I never confuse business and pleasure [​IMG])...

Rocker does show a little bit of scaring... [​IMG]

M-

11. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Jerry... Missed you at Paso Man...

Wierd that only one valve is affected [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

M-

12. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Never!!! Don Prieto Built this one... (I never confuse business and pleasure [​IMG])...

Rocker does show a little bit of scaring... [​IMG]

M-

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should be asking the tech engineer at Don Prieto's shop... [​IMG]
    I admit the amount of lift didn't register when I read it.
    Possibly the rods are too long (or too short) for the application or the slot in the head binding like Jerry suggested.
    I take it they aren't stock Chevy rods?
    I don't think they'd hold up to that much cam.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to replace the rocker along with the pushrod. How many miles on the cam? Did you put new pushrods in when the cam went in? A solid Chevy cam has to have hardened pushrod tips at least on the rocker end (get one in upside down?) I'd recommend using the pushrods listed with the cam if you didn't and replace all of them if this is the case.
    Origional Chevy pushrods for solid lifter cams had a hardened steel insert in one end and when they were new had a blue band around the insert end. They were installed with the blue end towards the rocker. On these pushrods you could see a faint line around the pushrod where the hardened insert was pressed inbut the factory put the blue line there inspite of that just so you would get them installed correctly.

Frank

14. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Fab... Man not sure, but I would expect Prieto would have been aware of that (drag racer), but I don't see anything that has any indication of direction... maybe I should just go for a new set of pushrods(and I guess 1.52's)...

M-

15. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Possibly adjusted too tight when originally set up? So no lube could get in the gap when running, plus heat expansion causes the gap to tighten up as well. Just a guess.

16. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Thanks guys for the input, does anyone know where I should go to get the best deal on Comp Cams 1.52 Ratio Rockers / rods? Only asking due to the belly-button factor [​IMG]

Thanks,

Mike