Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wtf is- was this thing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I kinda like it...
    But if only 12,000 made, this Ol' Boy was a busy man making the other 11,999 ones...:eek:
    Cheers...

2. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Maybe that's why he never got around to finishing this one!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I'm open to anything that frees up some room in my shed and fills an empty space in my wallet-even a little bit.

I'm starting a support group for my fellow junk-hoarders. One of our pillars is mastering appreciation for an old car/truck without having to posses it.

I like that roadster based on the presumption that it was built a long time ago. It looks like it could be a lot of fun to get running. I wouldn't advocate building that exact specimen on purpose.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That car is a lot like ones I grew up seeing. Not all the cars being built in the 50's and 60's were California works of art, lots of them were put together by guys in dirt floored garages and backyards, doing the best they could with the little they had.

Although it is an odd car by today's standards, I bet it was a cool little high school hot rod back in the day and someone's pride and joy. :D

Don

5. carmuts

carmuts

Lots of usable parts put together in a bad way. Most of what is there likely could be salvaged for other projects, they just don't seem to go together as is. Rod

6. Definitely not finished, notice that the grille is just leaning in place and the conduit hoop that implies more sheetmetal was in the works. I think it was like most chops you see where someone got in over their head and quit. It might have turned out pretty good if the builder had realized his vision.

I have a '39 Mercury four door that my son keeps drawing pictures of converted to a roadster. Not my cup of tea but he has some pretty good renderings. Not everyone likes the same things or sees the same visions.

7. models916

models916

That's Hacksaw Bob's ride

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Someone's unfinished effort at a home built sports car late 40s - early 50s. Zd Ford chassis late 30s or 40s, mid 30s Ford wire wheels, Packard grille, conglomeration of a body, headlights who knows? All the best junkyard junk from 1950.

I can see fixing up the chassis and installing some kind of roadster or home built body. There is potential there but a lot of work too. Or, you could part it out. What is a good flathead worth these days?

9. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I'll never understand the consensus that everyone back in the heydays of hot rodding built all the same stuff. Just like now there were people who wanted to do something different. The ethos is the same: take cheap stuff, make it look good, make it go fast. That doesn't mean that it has to be put together with the same parts and assembled the same way as everyone else does it.
    I'm thinking either home built sports car or someone's attempt at a something radical and different.

10. henry29

henry29

Are there any other pics of the car?, what are asking for it?

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

Ding ding! Comment of the day!
    Hahaha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. historynw

historynw

I'd say its a 30's/40's Disaster...they made way to many of them.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's either a Fiasco sports car or a 57 Heinz.

14. charlieb66

charlieb66

What ever it started out as, now looks like it's F.U.B.A.R.

15. The long car you posted is long in the cowl, probably has lots of leg room.
    In case you missed it, It's not long in the hood and all In front of the motor like the super rare rat rod in post 1. The two may cast a barely similar silhouette if the rat were finished but thered be no reason for 2" extra hood in front of the
    Fan. And before you go and say the engine could move forward - he'd be out of his tube mockup or the engine would be under the frame rails.

I'd like see what a photoshop finishing would produce. I'm sure there's someone with time to kill and photo shop talent to waste.

Clip a track T nose and stretch it to fit.
    Clip an A coupester body
    Clip a 40s windshield and beat it till it fits on the A cowl.

Boy I'd love to this and see exactly how wrong I am :eek:

16. 2racer

2racer

Each to his own, but I would start with a better car.

17. 1pickup

1pickup

It's probably closer to being finished than a lot the "projects" we keep hearing about on here. I'd drive it. It's obviously not a red '32 Ford with a small block & automatic. Tell him you think it's a '36 Lofanz & they only made 12. He should ask somewhere north of 6 digits for it.

18. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

All your points on the setup are valid, and I agree with them that there is no reason that the front is that long unless the builder had some crazy cooling idea.
    I didn't post that car because I thought they were twins. The whole case I was attempting to illustrate is that not all cars were built the same back in the day which seems to be a common consensus among some. Lots of "different" builds went on and they had nothing to do with "rat rods".
    The elongated front end is what definitely makes me lean towards a cheap, home built attempt at a sports car

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have stayed around our parking site at Billetproof (CA.) and 'entertained' hordes of tennis shoe M.F.s that were more 'knowledgeable' about my sons' F100s and mine than we were.

I 'thanked' one of the experts, he enlightened me that all three of our '55s were, in actuality, '53s. 'I know the grilles,' he assured us.
    Crap, thought I...So do we.

Son Rich and I go in his '27 Track roadster sometimes...Man! Do they ever know about THAT one! LOL
    C-S'rs couldn't find their ass with both hands.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

IMO looks way better than Tex's XR6 Roadster.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

How many poor souls came into my shopwith a rented 12-foot U-Haul trailer with a Model A body (Sport Coupe, Roadster, Coupe...) sitting on top of a '48 Ford pass. car frame, one on a '56 F100 frame, another with a '32 frame: The guy with the Deuce frame wanted to use the crossmembers only, and weld them into a Huge Dodge frame.

Some guys just don't do any research, look at the O.P.'s photo: Stepped frame is like a 1/20 scale Monogram frame with a 1/25 AMT body stretched over it. This is a 'car without a plan'.

Blackie Gejian's Shish Kebob was a '27 on '34 rails. His worked...(after much 'massaging')

22. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

It is an Andy Hardy jalopy produced by the Hobocken dead end kids:cool:.

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

The body is certainly not Model A...as has been well established. The belt line rib, windshield post (what's left at least) and firewall look like mid-20's Chrysler, Star, Durrant, Buick or Oldsmobile....'25 to '27. All of these manufactures used this type of beltline rib design on their coupes and sedans.

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  24. Junkle

Junkle

Maybe the odd proportions are an attempt to get better weight distribution (would fit with the sportscar idea). I'm not sure how I feel about it but would be interested in more pictures. j

25. chubbie

chubbie

GESSS guys that is a traditional HOTROD!! I know of a few more like it (altho none are the same!) It and or the builder drifted off..a little. the best part of trying to build a trad rod today is you have the history as a proving ground

26. Cavemanracing

Cavemanracing

The beltline and the front edge of the cowl look a lot like my son's '28 Buick. A lot.
    Clip the windshield, bob the frame in front, find a decent looking rad shell and flip it on flea-bay as a barn find.

27. hyperfe

hyperfe

Perfect

28. henry29

henry29

I can't believe so many people here on the hamb hate this car, this is a really neat old car that was built a long time ago with what ever he had. I would love to own this car.

This is a very rough quick photoshop but there's no end to what could be done with this car.

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      192.9 KB
      Views:
  29. henry29

henry29

I think a few people need there eyes examined.

How is this not a 30/31 model A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. 2racer

2racer

someone needs his meds