Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WTB: Passenger side front lower control arm 56 Pontiac Chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4Birdman, Dec 12, 2018.

1. 4Birdman

4Birdman

I'm about to start working on my 56 Chieftain. I am going to build it into a gasser eventually, but for now was thinking about trying to get it running and driving as I collect parts. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper pass side lower control arm? Mine is rusted through and spring is popped out. Might as well take a look at the driver'[s side one too if anyone has one available.

2. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Nevermind, the more I think about it the less it makes sense to fix this suspension when I have an Econoline axle sitting right here.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is waaaaay more work than replacing a control arm. And the arm you need is likely interchangeable with several year models.....see if you can get Hollander Interchange manual information on that. Maybe someone here on the HAMB has that book available and research it for you.

If you are seeking to build a genuine gasser, not just a fakey doo version, maybe the straight axle has some merit, but even that is debatable. Your car, your choice.

town sedan and dirty old man like this.
  4. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Gasser was the plan all along for this car.

5. My book says 53-57 the same l and r

town sedan and Hnstray like this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OldWolf has a parts car with stuff for sale.

kidcampbell71 and town sedan like this.
  7. 327Eric

327Eric

Makes sense to do the axel swap now to me.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Just to note.........I think I still have mine. If still interested PM and I'll look.

town sedan likes this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

Today a "gasser" is nothing more than a look. A suite of clothing. Or, a uniform to imply battling it out over a quarter mile.

As many will tell you a mile high front end and a strait axle isn't the way every gasser looked during those wars. And, cars evolved over their racing days.

Build a look if that's what your after. Or, get the beast rolling, running and stopping..., then start modifying it to preform better. To be faster. To get the fans in the bleachers excited every time it's gets pulled up to the line.

Or, find a smaller lighter car to play boy racer with and slam that Pontiac to the ground. Lake pipes, nice paint and interior... A tank like yours would be a natural gliding down the boulevard.
    -Dave

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Damn. Those are nice, big cars. There's a black one here with turquoise coves. I don't know shit about them really, but I know he has a 421 in it, and a # speed. Had to censor the transmission. :eek:;):)

Whoops ! The Dallas car is a '57. Beautiful high dollar car.

I found only one supposedly gasser Chieftain survivor. And a few posers. I'll post one poser for context. Your car .... may end up as one of the below. Have fun.

20181213_135221.jpg Screenshot_20181213-133849_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181213-133917_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20181213-134440_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181213-134541_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20181213-135151_Gallery.jpg

town sedan likes this.
  11. Yes I have the entire front suspension and will sell it. Its seems odd to me. Folks will frame clip a straight axle truck to make it drive & handle better. And take a perfectly good driving independent front suspension out of a car and install a staright axle? and that straight axle will weigh just as much.

12. oldolds

oldolds

Those cars are nice driving cars with stock suspension. It looks like the above real gasser has stock suspension. Buy the parts Old Wolf has and don't look back. Drive that car.

town sedan, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Honestly, I don't care about driveability on the car. If I wanted a good handing car I'd drive my 98 Trans Am. I plan on getting another older car as a cruiser when this one is done too. Car looks better in the avatar pic than it really is. Interior is junk, body has some rust, etc. I was looking for a car to make a gasser out of and that's why I bought the car. I have a couple Pontiac motors I'm building that will one will find it's come in here. I have a Nash 4+1 with an inline shifter and am pricing out a Ford 9" for the rear. Econoline front axle, vintage Indy mags, etc. It'll be loud and brash and hopefully fast.

I got hooked at a SEGA race and that's what I am going for. I have two kids that are hooked as well and they wanted to just put it in the shop and start the transformation now rather than just getting it driving.

studebaker eric likes this.
  14. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Well, after talking with my best friend I think I am making a change to this build. I have two boys who both play travel baseball, so he reminded me that I pretty much will only have like 3 weekends free a year to race. Might not make sense to build a dedicated gasser race car when it'll suck on the street and with the cage can't even take all four of us cruising. I think I am going to build it into an S/S car with a built Pontiac motor and a T-10 I have here. Be a hell of a lot more streetable and can enjoy it when I'm not at the track.

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i just bought a set of control arms for my 55 pontiac from california pontiac supply. they have a stack of them. give them a call if you cant find them locally. john

town sedan and Hnstray like this.
  16. dan griffin

dan griffin

I dropped the front end on Wasted 5 inc. and picked up 1.6 mph on the top end. It also was much better handing at high speed.

w

town sedan likes this.
  17. ironrodder

ironrodder

I had to read this thread. May, 1965 riding in the back seat of my friends '56 Pontiac. While coming out of a "S" curve the right, passenger side tie rod decided to give up. The result was a sheared off telephone pole and us end over end into a field. The fresh addition of trans fluid leaking onto the white headliner of the upside down Poncho looked like we all 4 died in the crash. Not a one of us was injured.

18. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Anyone that might have one? Still looking.

19. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See posts #11 and 15 above...

town sedan likes this.
  20. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Already talked with them and haven't heard back yet on details. I'm just keeping the options open.

21. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea.
    Always liked these cars. American Pontiacs were cousins to the Buick and Olds, Canadian Pontiacs were based on Chev's of the same vintage. You got the 287/ 317/ 347 motors and hydros, we got 283/ 327's and iron powerglides.

22. These are great street cars. I've had 11, 55-57 Pontiacs through the years. My last one was a 56 chieftain hardtop. I built a 1960, 389 for it with the original 4 speed hydro and original rear axle. The longish 122" wheelbase made for a heavier car than the 115" chevies of the same years but my brother was able to get his [my old] 57 sedan down to 3300# with a '67, 400-Muncie 4 speed. Both were street cars. 56poncho.jpg scan0002.jpg

town sedan likes this.
  23. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Rocky, very nice!